Pentax 10-17mm vs Sigma 10-20mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopio

Nov 10, 2006
East
I went out on an impulse purchase today and found that the Sigma might be more useful in general photography. Any advise?

Before even considering between the 2 lenses, perhaps it might be a good idea to know the differences between them. The Pentax is a zoom fisheye whereas the Sigma is a rectilinear wide angle zoom.

Both might start at 10mm but the Pentax has a much wider field of view and being a fisheye, straight lines that don't pass thru the centre of the image appear curved. The Sigma is corrected, which means straight lines remain straight lines. The FE is a fun lens and you can correct the curvature effect by software but the rectilinear is more practical.

Either way, both lenses need careful composition because of the wide field of view.

So, did you buy the Sigma?

Sounds like he bought the 10-17.... :D

My opinion is it's more fun...
And It may be just me, but I find that that's how things should look in extreme wide angles like 10mm... ;P

Sounds like he bought the 10-17.... :D

My opinion is it's more fun...
And It may be just me, but I find that that's how things should look in extreme wide angles like 10mm... ;P

Hee, hee...:D
more like "sounds like SHE bought the 10-17"

Before even considering between the 2 lenses, perhaps it might be a good idea to know the differences between them. The Pentax is a zoom fisheye whereas the Sigma is a rectilinear wide angle zoom.

Both might start at 10mm but the Pentax has a much wider field of view and being a fisheye, straight lines that don't pass thru the centre of the image appear curved. The Sigma is corrected, which means straight lines remain straight lines. The FE is a fun lens and you can correct the curvature effect by software but the rectilinear is more practical.

Either way, both lenses need careful composition because of the wide field of view.

So, did you buy the Sigma?

Actually I know the difference(having used the Sigma) but went out to buy the FUN one when I should consider buying something that is more useful for work.

Actually I know the difference(having used the Sigma) but went out to buy the FUN one when I should consider buying something that is more useful for work.

Well, most of us shoot for fun only. And this DA1017 FE lens is one of the coolest lenses ever made for digital. I'm sure you'll like it :)

Besides, it takes wonderful portraits too ;)

IMGP0644_s.jpg

The pentax 10-17 is a fun lens and the sigma 10-20 is a more useful lens for WAV. The 10-17 is fun but you can't use it very often and you won't want to use it that often also i guess.

Fengwei, your pics never cease to amaze me..........:eek:

The Pentax 10-17 is fun...and affordable too :) Get tired of the curvature can always de-fish the images to make them look rectilinear (but won't be as sharp as from a true rectilinear lens). Photoshop plugins like PTLens can do the job.

Great stuff!

The Pentax 10-17 is fun...and affordable too :) Get tired of the curvature can always de-fish the images to make them look rectilinear (but won't be as sharp as from a true rectilinear lens). Photoshop plugins like PTLens can do the job.

Ok, looks like I'll play around with it first. I volunteer as a photographer at a non-profit org so sometimes a lens like Sigma 10-20mm comes in really handy.
Maybe when I get tired of FE, I'll put it up for "adoption" for the Pentax folks.

Oh yeah, definitely less than 300mm :bsmilie: Actually he asked me to take that photo :cool:

And the DA1017 can focus as close as 140mm!

Heh... My 'models' always get very intimidated when I go in close to take their 'big head' photos... :bsmilie:

kopio, welcome to the fisheye club. Don't get buyer's remorse, the 10-17 is really a unique lens.

Sorry but I can't get over your nick. I'm thinking... sweet Pentax gal who drinks lots of black coffee or have black hair. Get the brown and gold K10D Grand Prix Special Edition and you can change your nick to kopiSEe. :bsmilie:

Don't know how to get close? Can test on pets first. :bsmilie:

pepe_fe.jpg

K100D with Sigma 16mm fisheye.

Status
Not open for further replies.