Penguin wanna start on DSLR shooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinmelon

Dec 11, 2009
Earth
So i'm interested into having a DSLR of my own, but i don't not really know which one to buy.

I'm interested in take Nature (I believe you all called that 'macro' or soemthing in your realm), Landscapes and skyline shots.

So i'm wondering, which DSLR should i buy, and the lens suitable for my type of interest.

I would say i don't have much budget. About $1.5K... What camera and lens can i get with this?
:(

Hi, Penguinmelon. There are so many threads with the same question from new members. And sadly, there is no one single answer. It must come from yourself after handling and feeling the camera.
But recommendation I can- get a Canon 500D with a kit lens.
Go down to Cathay Photos, John 3:16, SLR revolution and try it out.

Hello...welcome.

All entry level DSLRs are able to meet your needs.

With a budget of $1500, you have to factor in the price of a Macro lens (eg. Tamron 90mm), dry cabinet. You are left with a budget of not more than $1k for the body and kit lens.

I would suggest that you see what are the cameras you can get from this budget, do some homework on these cameras and shortlist from there. Do try them out in a shop to see which is more comfortable to you and the user interface is more appealing to you.

Alternatively, you may want to get a bridge cam and use it with a Raynox filter for Macro shots.

with a budget of $1.5k, u are more or less limited to canon 1000D/500D, nikon D3000/D5000, olympus E450/E520/E620, sony (not familiar with their range and price), pentax (not familiar also)

FYI TS - macro photography is shooting at small small stuff, insects mostly. macro photography usually would need u to get a macro lens which are not cheap, depending on what type or how far u want to go. a nikon AF-D 60mm macro lens abt $600+ (anyone pls corect me if wrong) while a nikon AF-S 105mm macro is more than $1k.

normal landscape, all DSLR are OK. so you should just go down to shops or showroom and try out those model that fit your budget and see which one u like, the weight/size/grip/menu and UI(user interface)

As nixontkl has mentioned, you probably can get an entry/entry+ level model with your budget.

The Pentax entry+ model would be the Kx selling for ~$950 with 18-55mm kit lens.

You will need to cater for the following :
1. Macro - Macro lens (DFA100/2.8 ~$750) or Extension tube+Prime (~$30+$500) or Good Close-up filter ($120)
2. Landscapes and Architecture - wide angle lens $750-$1000. Or use the 18mm of the kit lens.

My suggestion would be to get the camera and kit lens and with the remaining $500 of your budget get a close-up filter (so that you need not fiddle with manual focus and stop down metering). If you can squeeze it, get a 50mm prime lens to use with the close-up filter and also as a portrait/low light lens.

Welcome to CS :) Look around & weigh the options then decide. ;)

Arigato peeps. (Y)

But all i know is practical stuffs in shooting. Aperture, White Balance and stuffs are just ROFLCOPTER to me.

._.

u need to shoot more and read more to understand more.

Arigato peeps. (Y)

But all i know is practical stuffs in shooting. Aperture, White Balance and stuffs are just ROFLCOPTER to me.

._.

Then you just might not be ready for a DSLR. Best to read more, especially since landscapes and macro shots can also be achieved with compact cams.

Fully agree with Rashkae. If you are just itchy having a black bulky thingy with big lens poking out then you better think twice. it doesn't need such a camera do get good pictures of that you have in mind. Many compacts and prosumer cameras are able to achieve the same. And once you are more familar with photography and all the technical terms around it is much easier for you do determine which camera to get, if you still need a DSLR. Don't mix up 'need' and 'want' :)

all dslr can produce decent result for what you want to shoot.

btw, aperture, white balance and "stuffs", are practical stuff in shooting - they help you get the picture you want. so you might want to upgrade them from ROFLCOPTER status ;)

Hi Penguin, I'm shooting almost the same genre as you but since you are on a tight budget with only 1.5k to spare, this is what I'll recommend. Basically, all cameras of any brands are capable of producing good results, thus it is more of how much better you want things to go. Results are also very dependable on the man behind the camera ;).

Brand new kit:
1000D, 500D, D3000, D5000 or equivalent with 18-55mm kit lens plus Raynox 250DCR
Good and sturdy ballhead tripod which can extend at least up to your shoulder level.

Reason for this setup is easy, the camera bodies which is recommended to you is mainly entry level bodies of at least 10MP resolution. Their sensor is of 1.5x crop for Nikon and 1.6x crop for Canon which gives you the extra reach for macro, not to worry about skylines and landscape yet. Most important, price is definatly within your budget.

The lens which I recommend is an IS lens from Canon or a VR lens from Nikkor. 18mm is for you to cover landscapes and skylines, though the body has a crop factor but you can also do a panaroma shot and stitch them to form a full landscape. 50-55mm will enable you to do portraits when you desire to, most importantly is that this reach will be suitable for macro and closeups when you stack raynox 250DCR on it. Downside of using raynox is that the minimum focusing distance will be greatly shorten and you need some patience to understand how it works as depth of field can be quite shallow at wider apertures, thus causing Out of Focus shots.

How to know if the lens can stack raynox? Simple. Make sure that the diameter of the lens is between 52mm to 67mm and you'll have no problems. Remember not to confuse focal length mm with diameter mm. Focal length mm is the viewing range of the lens, while diameter mm is the size of the thread at the front element where it lets the lens cover sits in.

Hope my explaination helps a little. :)

Last edited:
Arigato peeps. (Y)

._.

if you want to learn basic technicals, its actually very easy to learn, nothing to difficult if you're committed. can master within a few weeks.

what can't be taught that easily is vision and the 'eye'. :bsmilie:

my advice is go for slr. even if you don't need it now i think you will in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.