Under your Blanket
www.wix.com
489247908_a749aeb002.jpg

Sunset taken at Batu Ferrenghi - Penang
Canon EOS 400D
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 18 mm

I composed this shot using the thirds rule and i thought the sky looked quite dramatic at that time. The picture looks a little dark on the right hand side and its my first time taking a sunset pic so im not sure if its done correctly.

I supppose the picture would've been more impactful is there was an additional in it (e.g. fishing boat or birds)

Is the exposure ok? Any thing i should take note when taking future sunset shots?

All C&C welcome.

Watch out for yr horizon. Looks a bit tilted.
:thumbsup: Not a bad shot.

Keep on shooting!!

Hmm... there is something about the horizon... Either its severe distortion due to your lens or you didn't ensure that it's level before you took the shot.

The darkness is inevitable if you had let the camera take control of the metering. Solution? Spot meter and use an average.

There's no real right or wrong way to shoot scenary... Just a matter of taste I suppose. I quite like the cloud formation and the colours in the sky. Well spotted.

a subject would have made it more intersting but may also have affected your composition if you're too focused on applying ROT. e.g. if there was a fishing boat, would you have put that in the thirds or your picture as you did, or try to get both? that may be a tad confusing in the moment, and sunsets are fast. so what you did was part instinct (applying the "eye"), which is what photography should be about, and not hung up about the technicalities.

next time, shoot multiple exposures with differnt settings, a smaller aperture, lower/ higher ISO, stop down or up 1 or 2 stops, take as many variations as you can. that way you have more to choose from, and also learn a great deal about your camera settings from that.

:)

nice pic

gut feel: this would look really cool in print as a 6X6 or pano

Looks also a bit curved. Or is it an optical illusion?

Due to distortion.

Needs to correct it in PS - quite easy. You should get a slight U shape. He needs to rotate it anticlockwise a little first though, since it should curve up at the ends, not only on the left side. =)

It is slightly underexposed for me, but you could easily correct this with RAW or simply play with shadows/highlights in PS.

The clouds are nice though! =) Agree with you that there needs to be something more. Sky and sea shots need something else unless the sky is really, really, really brilliant and lovely.

Thanks for the opinion guys! I didnt notice the distortion myself when taking the picture cuz i did it w/o a tripod.

Went quite deep into the waters to shoot this one and i was afraid my tripod wouldnt hold against the currents.

Still, thanks loads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.