Penang - by coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juvelyn

Jun 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone taken coach (or train) to Penang from Singapore?

Was the ride long/ torture?

Thanks

Juvelyn said:

Thanks

Take the train. Bring along a good book, a good friend and a camera. Totally enjoyable. Walk around to stretch your legs every now and then.

if you take a bus, take the night bus, start about 9pm arrive about 7pm. If can sleep if you're not too "pampared" :) and also, try not to take the last 2 seats, as those are not proper seats, they just "squeeze" in those 2 seats and it can't be lowered properly.... you'll end up sitting up for the whole night. (not all busses are this way though)

StreetShooter said:
Take the train. Bring along a good book, a good friend and a camera. Totally enjoyable. Walk around to stretch your legs every now and then.

yeah, but they have stopped to direct train to the north, if i remember correctly, all trains from SG will terminate in KL, and you will have to switch train to go to Penang.

my experience with the train is that it is slowwwww.. and there might be delays in between.

just take the night coach, spend 10 hours on the bus, arrive there, relax yourself :p

take Grassland (Zenwen express) no. 62921166. Most comfortable bus seat. Depart from Beach Road, Golden Mile Complex. The journey is about 11 hours.

Juvelyn said:

Thanks

Bus ride is abt 10 to 11 hours! It's a good choice especially if u can sleep. & yes go for vip seats- more comfort!

For train, Forget it . It's a real torture! Long journery -- abt 14 hrs from Sin to butterworth. (subject to further delay if any) then from there got to switch to land transport to get to the island. seat also not as comfort, don think u can incline the seats . although, u can walk around the train, after some time, U juz hope that the journery is way shorter. Also note, pls remember to prepare your own lunch onboard train. there is no stop over for lunch kind of thing, only given abt 15mins stop at KL station (which is around 2+ -3pm). then move on alreadi. snacks such as cakes are available ot certain time (when someone push the cart past U)
Photography:- there isn't veri much U can do too, consider the places that it is passing through

my last train journery started from abt 8 + am in Singapore and reach Penang only around 11+ pm - not so sure abt the night train, know there are bed seats available but told the journery is abt the same
:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

airasia flies from KL to Penang for 19.90 ringgit...

you can barely use this to buy a roll of slides there...... :bsmilie:

Why torture yourself? Relax a bit. Spend a night in KL instead of going all the way to Penang in one day. That's what I did the last time.

Make sure you choose a good reputable coach. The last time on my way back from Penang to KL, the number of passengers from Penang in the coach was not "optimum" so they transferred (dumped) me to another coach in Butterworth where I had to wait for 3 hours.

When coming back to Singapore, beware of the tricks some coach drivers play. They are supposed to take you all the way to the final coach stop such as the Golden Mile complex but if most passengers alight at the Woodland checkpoints and you are the only passenger (or the only family group) left, then some coach drivers might play the trick on you on the pretext of waiting for the "other missing" passenger to come back. Either you wait and wait, or you get fed up eventually and take a cab back home from the Woodlands checkpoint.

If you don't mind these minor irritants (which may or may not happen to you), then by all means, take the coach and enjoy the trip!

depends on you i guess. i'm used to travelling really long distances at a go when i was living in australia. i've sat on a coach from hatyai to singapore non-stop, get off still can go party! :D

jOhO said:
depends on you i guess. i'm used to travelling really long distances at a go when i was living in australia. i've sat on a coach from hatyai to singapore non-stop, get off still can go party! :D

agreed! once you get used to it, it's like a long nap. sometimes i don't even wake up when the bus stops at the rest points! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.