Not open for further replies.

ortega

Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I should be going to penang for a short trip

any advice on what is there to shoot?
I'll shoot anything, since i am on a trip

TIA :)

Bro, you'll be tucking in on the Penang culinary delights more that you'll be shooting...:bsmilie:

Perhaps a photo review of best Penang food. Give Makansutra a run for the money...

Can tar pao some kuay teow for me heehee

Will you be spending your time in the city area or the beach area? I guess that will decide what you have to shoot.

The temple (think its called Ke Lok See) is interesting if you're into that kind of this. Maybe you can also do a shoot on the various hawker food available there and post it here to make us drool :bsmilie:

must try the morning street hawker food, especially the peanut pancake:thumbsup: . You don't get such tasty peanut pancakes in Singapore anymore, we only have those peanut pancakes with skin so thick that its almost bullet-proof here:bsmilie:

for photography check out Kek Lok Si and Penang Hill. Actually I prefer to shoot on the streets around Georgetown, many old houses around. But I am not sure how safe it is hanging a DSLR around your neck and walk around there.:)

Bleh, I'm sure you'd find something Mr Ortega! :thumbsup:

Have fun! =)

Take the RM1 city bus to the Ferringi Beach to shoot :)

If not joing those 1 day tour to Khoo Kongsi, Kek lok Si etc :D

Remember to buy a lot of Tao Sa Piah home :D There are two famous brand there, one is with a baby logo and the other one is with a Star...It's call Ghee Hiang or something like that....according to some, the Star one nicer...but I found both are equaly good :thumbsup:

The old shophouses around Georgetown will have great photo opps all round - whether it's streets/architecture/people/abstracts. You can also check out the family associations/temples (the khoo kong si is one of the bigger ones, but there are lots of others) for some very decorative and ornate architecture. As mentioned abive, can check out the templs like the Kek Lok Si, or the Snake temple, and go up Penang Hill.

Of course, you'll defintely be trying out the food - give the Penang asam laksa a try at the stores on the way towards the Kek Lok Si.

Ferry terminal - morning rush hour, stall peddlars. If u board from island side, dun hv to get off at the other side. Stay on board and take return trip back to island.
Weld Quay - old clan jetty houses on stilts. Ask permission if taking ppl.
Kimberly, Chulia, Campbell, Armenian Sts - basically the old Georgetown has many picture opportunities.
Air Itam market - hive of activity from sunrise.
Teluk Bahang jetty - fishing boats and wooden jetty.

As always, be aware of your surroundings when taking pics. Penang has got high cases of snatch thefts. Sling cam over neck n carry minimal gear. Biker thieves tend to come from behind n snatch.

Best way to get around? Rent a motorbike if can. Alternative, use small car..eg kancil, kelisa.
Good picture hunting!

Remember to buy a lot of Tao Sa Piah home :D There are two famous brand there, one is with a baby logo and the other one is with a Star...It's call Ghee Hiang or something like that....according to some, the Star one nicer...but I found both are equaly good :thumbsup:

should be Him Heang

http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/page.cfm?name=se02i

thanks for all the tips, i will keep them in mind when i am there

anymore to take note?

Hi there,
You might want to try the Batu Ferringghi strecth of beaches, the ferry terminal, Gurney Drive, Penang hill and Kek Lok Si (as some have mentioned) personally I like the view of the Penang Bridge from the garden of one of the small hotel on top of Penang Hill near to the cable car station, Penang Bridge, newly opened shooping mall "QueensBay", the beach view right outside of the mall is good. Komtar. Fort Cornwallis

If you're into hiking, might want to try to go to a place called "Pantai Kerachut" (not sure spelled correctly or not) which is a short hiking from "Teluk Bahang", at the end of the Batu Ferringghi stretch of road.

You might be interested in those old shophouses found in Geargetown.

Ferry terminal - morning rush hour, stall peddlars. If u board from island side, dun hv to get off at the other side. Stay on board and take return trip back to island.
Weld Quay - old clan jetty houses on stilts. Ask permission if taking ppl.
Kimberly, Chulia, Campbell, Armenian Sts - basically the old Georgetown has many picture opportunities.
Air Itam market - hive of activity from sunrise.
Teluk Bahang jetty - fishing boats and wooden jetty.

As always, be aware of your surroundings when taking pics. Penang has got high cases of snatch thefts. Sling cam over neck n carry minimal gear. Biker thieves tend to come from behind n snatch.

Best way to get around? Rent a motorbike if can. Alternative, use small car..eg kancil, kelisa.
Good picture hunting!

say... are you a Penangite yourself? looks like you know all the streets pretty well.

Ortega, you can never have enough photo opportunities around the streets of Penang Rd in Georgetown area. that's where the heart of Penang is. there are wet markets like the Chowrasta Market, interesting activities going on there during the morning.

and then the streets mentioned by Staphylococcus, that's where you can find all the old pre-war houses akin to Singapore's Chinatown. while you are there, scrumptious food are also found in that area. you'll be spoilt for choice.

when in Chulia Street, don't forget to drop by the Kapitan Kling mosque. there's also a Chinese temple at Pitt Street which is next to it. interesting stuff.

i can name you more but i'm running out of time here. gotta go to work liao.

all the best dude!

thanks for all the new info and the links
interesting stuff

I don't think that i will have the time to go hiking for best shooting spots
(going with my family)
so maybe I will be shooting mostly streets and architecture
and not forgeting food :) yummy

I need to get myself a map
I am thinking of venturing out at night to shoot as well
is it safe? around georgetown

Yes, I'm from Penang.
Daytime or nighttime shooting, same precautions. If you venture places where there is food, I'm guessing you should be safe!
Hiking is only for the adventourous coz its quite a long hike, eg 2-3hrs one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.