Pelican or other Hard Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudon

Jun 22, 2005
www.chiaroscurist.com
Hi all,

I know the preference for some is to hand carry your UW photo gear in a soft trolley bag. However I am thinking of going the other route and getting a hard case for my equip. Anybody know of a good place to buy Pelican (or equivalent) cases at a good price?

Anybody got a old Pelican case they dont want anymore? Please PM me and check out my post on Buy&Sell too.

Thanks

just saw someone bought a pelican case last nite at J 3:16 at funan centre. you can check them out.

How big do you want the Pelican case to be? I have one. It fit my housing, my nikonos and 2 strobes + lenses + ports.

ScoobaKev said:
How big do you want the Pelican case to be? I have one. It fit my housing, my nikonos and 2 strobes + lenses + ports.

Hi Kevin, you intend to sell it? What model is it? If eudon don't want, I might be interested:)

Ang

Hi Guys,

just a reminder that no buy and sell in this subforum ya.. thanks :)

Sorry boss. Guys, let's do this over PM.

Hi, you can try Richmond at Concorde at Beach Road. They carry UKlite hardcases. Good stuff, tougher than Pelican.

Check out Storm cases. Cheaper and apparently rougher/tougher than Pelicans. Shop at Adelphi.

beivied said:
Hi Guys,

just a reminder that no buy and sell in this subforum ya.. thanks :)

Beivied

I know we are not allowed to place buy and sell ads in this underwater photography subforum. However I also realised that there are tons of buy and sell ads in that subforum (more 50 ads are place each day). Searching for a product that is relavent to underwater photography in that Buy and Sell subforum is difficult and you would have to be lucky or keep a close watch at every thread there comes out.

For example, http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=167809

I wouldnt know it was there until a friend told me about it.

Could you assist in making things simplier and easier for users like me or advise on how someone like me in search for a camera and housing? Thanks

Let me start a thread on this under another topic, not under Eudon's request for Pelican cases (which he has got already!)

ScoobaKev said:
Let me start a thread on this under another topic, not under Eudon's request for Pelican cases (which he has got already!)
Eudon,

Can you post your comments on which hardcases you looked at, and how you came to a decision on which hardcase you bought?

Would be useful to have your insights on this piece of equipment that is often overlooked!

Cheers, Jeff

ScoobaKev said:

Thanks for trying. Guess the mindset is set. Cheers

I would recommend Stormcase, the latches are much better and with the larger cases come with built in wheels and retractable handles. The iM 2750 might be the case suited to hold all your gear.

The company that makes the Stormcase also makes cases for the Military and industrial shipping cases.

Check out these sites http://www.cases-cases.com/ and http://stormcase.com/

Prior to me purchasing the my Stormcases, I did extensive research on various waterproof cases and although Pelican cases are good. Stormcases are much better. I even shipped my camera equipment from the US in these cases, they performed wonderfully.

And when I bought mine, i think they were actually cheaper than Pelican.

I don't think you will regret buying a stormcase.

Try check this out, i got a few units from them and they hv all the weired models.
Goodluck...

www.marvid.com.sg

In response to Cat64, in the end I borrowed a 2nd hand case from a friend so i didnt really choose. (Pelican has a online too to estimate which size you need for your equipment.)

But I dont find a hard case the way to go. After doing a bit more research I found a more permanent solution for my needs. LowePro Computrekker Plus AW. note the "plus" version and its not the rolling version because the wheel and handle mechanism takes up space. The space is needed for a multi-port/strobe (d)SLR setup.

I wont get into the specifics, but i was convinced by a friend with 2 hard cases (that he no longer uses) about the advantages a hand carry soft bag. In his view hand-carry is better than a check-in hard case. It is a personal choice so please dont flame me about hard cases. I guess its best to give both options a try before coming to the conclusion that suits you best.

For those interested, here are some shots on possible layouts of the UW housing in the above bag. Depending on amount of equipment, and your willingness to disassemble your handle tray, your mileage may vary. =)

Click pics to see larger version.

Hope that helps.

Eudon

eudon said:
I wont get into the specifics, but i was convinced by a friend with 2 hard cases (that he no longer uses) about the advantages a hand carry soft bag. In his view hand-carry is better than a check-in hard case. It is a personal choice so please dont flame me about hard cases. I guess its best to give both options a try before coming to the conclusion that suits you best.

Good advise by your friend.:thumbsup: ........Wonder who is the guy :think:

eudon said:

Click pics to see larger version.
Eudon

Tis bag look familar....dome port for 12-24, flat ports for 60mm and 105mm, ikelite D70 hsg and 2 DS125 strobes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.