Peleng Fisheye Lens 8mm, f/3.5 VS 10.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienster

Mar 13, 2005
i noe here's a nikon forum... so based on those who used both b4, or those who used peleng, how is it compare to 10.5. i noe most of you will say 10.5 is gd, is the best... but put two pics taken with different lens, can u really tell the diff?? cos i'm trying to safe cost here if peleng is gd or better than 10.5. pls ignore the branding and give ur non-bias view. me tot of buying a fisheye. thanks!!

Wah.. buying fisheye :bigeyes:

:thumbsup: When in doubt, buy both.

Nikon 10.5mm is original lens, but of course more costy.
Peleng is consider as 3rd party lens.
If cheaper 3rd party lens can make the photo look better, nikon can go back japan sleep with snake liao. :heart:

xxxger said:
Nikon 10.5mm is original lens, but of course more costy.
Peleng is consider as 3rd party lens.
If cheaper 3rd party lens can make the photo look better, nikon can go back japan sleep with snake liao. :heart:

errr....so has tokina, sigma, tamron close shop yet???

damienster said:

peleng already no shop liao.:bheart:

i am actually looking at the nikon 10.5mm.
For film,16mm fisheye good.
Oh no,i got poison.

damienster said:

Of course wont close yet, cos they are 3rd party lens, therefore their performance and cost are only 1/2 compare to the original one lor ...
Student and those dun care one will still support them, or as long as the image can come out, can see is a girl or is a boy can liao lor ...

damienster said:
i noe here's a nikon forum... so based on those who used both b4, or those who used peleng, how is it compare to 10.5. i noe most of you will say 10.5 is gd, is the best... but put two pics taken with different lens, can u really tell the diff?? cos i'm trying to safe cost here if peleng is gd or better than 10.5. pls ignore the branding and give ur non-bias view. me tot of buying a fisheye. thanks!!

First off the Peleng 8mm is a circular fisheye for film bodies. With a Nikon DSLR you'll find you won't get a full frame image as the sensor is just a fraction too wide and narrow. (see image 2 below). The Peleng maps light intensity a bit better than the Sigma I used to make the shot below this afternoon. Colour rendition with the Peleng is very similar to the Aresat used in shot 3.

fisheye1.jpg

Images (top to bottom) Nikkor 10.5mm FE, Sigma 8mm FE, Aresat 16mm FE.

There were no colour or other adjustments to the images, natural colour contrast is preserved from each lens. Shooting conditions were pretty horrific this afternoon when I took the shots, wind was around 30-35km/h with fast moving cloud. Images were taken using manual exposure and no compensation from a fixed location.

In reality, only the Nikkor 10.5 is useable out of the box as a fisheye lens. Though it's a far higher cost than the Peleng, Sigma or Aresat units it's colour rendition is more accurate as is it's light intensity mapping.

Cheers,
Ian

Note: the above image is smaller than the original, for more detail save the image and view with a good image viewer. The image will be deleted in a couple of weeks time

Ian said:
First off the Peleng 8mm is a circular fisheye for film bodies. With a Nikon DSLR you'll find you won't get a full frame image as the sensor is just a fraction too wide and narrow. (see image 2 below). The Peleng maps light intensity a bit better than the Sigma I used to make the shot below this afternoon. Colour rendition with the Peleng is very similar to the Aresat used in shot 3.

Images (top to bottom) Nikkor 10.5mm FE, Sigma 8mm FE, Aresat 16mm FE.

There were no colour or other adjustments to the images, natural colour contrast is preserved from each lens. Shooting conditions were pretty horrific this afternoon when I took the shots, wind was around 30-35km/h with fast moving cloud. Images were taken using manual exposure and no compensation from a fixed location.

In reality, only the Nikkor 10.5 is useable out of the box as a fisheye lens. Though it's a far higher cost than the Peleng, Sigma or Aresat units it's colour rendition is more accurate as is it's light intensity mapping.

Cheers,
Ian

Note: the above image is smaller than the original, for more detail save the image and view with a good image viewer. The image will be deleted in a couple of weeks time

Hi Ian... I GREATLY appreciate your effort to explain to me in details and ur effort and time!! THANK YOU!!!

another question... when i use a FE, do i get a black rd circle?? how come sm have sm dont have? U crop it?? or nikon has no black circle but 8mm lens has?? Pls help me on this Ian...

damienster said:
Hi Ian... I GREATLY appreciate your effort to explain to me in details and ur effort and time!! THANK YOU!!!

another question... when i use a FE, do i get a black rd circle?? how come sm have sm dont have? U crop it?? or nikon has no black circle but 8mm lens has?? Pls help me on this Ian...

Ok, more information time for you:

Fisheye lenses come in 2 main types, circular image and full frame image (rectangular). Circular fisheyes map a 360° view (hemsphere) in to a circular image, while a full frame Fisheye maps a 180° diagonal field of coverage to a rectangular image.

The Peleng is a circular fisheye lens and you won't get a full image (circular) on the sensor as said sensor isn't large enough to record the entire circular image, so you'll wind up with a shot almost identical to the middle image I posted. Most circular fisheyes project an image with a diameter between 20 and 23mm which fits nicely on film (35x24mm) however as you can see the top and bottom of the circle is removed because the APS sized sensor isn't tall enough to capture the entire circle.

The Nikon 10.5mm however is a rectangular format fisheye lens and is full frame on a DSLR which is it's intended target camera. The 10.5 equivalent for film is the 16mm Fisheye, an example of which I posted as the bottom shot. In this case I used a 3rd party FE rather than a Nikon (same with the Sigma 8mm) as that's what I had with me this afternoon on the way home.

espn said:
Then you should go there and post your question(s).

ESPN, Official warning, be nice or I will close this thread

Ian
Nikon Forum Moderator

From the Nikon Capture's manual, is it true that Nikon Capture's Fish Eye tool only work with Nikon 10.5 FE? Nikon Capture's Fish Eye tool will not work with other FE :dunno: ?

Regards,
Arto.

I owned the Russian Zenitar 16/2.8 FE and used the 10.5DX before.

Personal opinions :

10.5DX has too much CA for my liking and way over priced ($1000 for an DX Fisheye?!).
Russian FE is abit soft on my provia, colors rendered not as nice as the 10.5DX. But for a lens that i hardly use (maybe 2-3 shots per roll), i see no need to pay $1000 for it. So i settled for the russian FE :D

Artosoft - NC's fisheye tool will only work with the 10.5DX.

ok then...since i'm using a DSLR, in this case cant save money, means I need to buy 10.5mm. Need to triple consider buying it. Anybody noe any cheaper version of 180 deg FE which is reasonably gd which can sub the monopoly 10.5. thanks!!

Artosoft said:
From the Nikon Capture's manual, is it true that Nikon Capture's Fish Eye tool only work with Nikon 10.5 FE? Nikon Capture's Fish Eye tool will not work with other FE :dunno: ?

Regards,
Arto.

That's correct, the FE image straightner only works with the 10.5 DX Nikkor, no other lens. There's reasons for this however and it's most likely to do with the mathematics used to map the field of view via the lens to the projected image to the sensor. If the lens doesn't exactly match the algorithm used to straighten the image the results would be very unpredictable and likely be a complete mess. Thus the software will only accomodate the real Nikkor lens.

damienster said:
ok then...since i'm using a DSLR, in this case cant save money, means I need to buy 10.5mm. Need to triple consider buying it. Anybody noe any cheaper version of 180 deg FE which is reasonably gd which can sub the monopoly 10.5. thanks!!
Unfortunately there are no other manufacturers of an equivalent to the 10.5 Nikkor at present. You're stuck with either shelling out around 1100 SGD for the real McCoy or going without.

Status
Not open for further replies.