Peirce reservoir advices

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
Together with my friends, We are planning for a sunrise shoot at Peirce res.
However, this is my first time there, hence would like to seek for advice on the location (upper or lower) for sunrise shoot, also which part exactly will be a better vantage point.

For advice pls.

i suggest you do a quick google of the stuff people have already done, ownself go down do a shoot first and go back again and again.

normally i drop by the same location maybe 1-2 dozen times trying to get 1 shot only.

there shld be equally good opportunities both upper and lower.

Depends, do you want rocks as foreground, or?

Reservoirs would tend to have an ok vantage point for both sunrise and sunset. By ok, I mean, you can see the sunrise and sunset, no fear of being in the wrong direction. The trouble sometimes is with accessibility.

Although my impression of these 2 reservoirs is that if you want more than just sky and water, then sunset is a safer bet. You might be able to get rocks and trees, but the locations facing the sunrise will not be the optimal options for a more pleasant foreground composition compared to those facing sunset..?

If you want a sunrise shot across the water facing the sun for Pierce Reservoir, then only location is access from Chestnut Avenue.

Preferably to have some rocks as fore ground..

Then it's time for you to head there and do some exploring on your own. Nothing beats that. Why rely on others for their composition and angles when you should be exploring your own?

Rashkae said:
Then it's time for you to head there and do some exploring on your own. Nothing beats that. Why rely on others for their composition and angles when you should be exploring your own?

Agree. Perhaps I should change another location tat I am more familiar with. Or do a through recce before conducting an outing..

sunset is always easier, at least you can move to the location and point at the right place before the sunset,

sunrise is harder if you are not familiar with the location, you may find the spot is not ideal and not have time to move once the sun show his face.

you can check out some of the photos taken by others for reference, but do take note the sun will not rise and set at the same place thru out the whole year.

catchlights said:
sunset is always easier, at least you can move to the location and point at the right place before the sunset,

sunrise is harder if you are not familiar with the location, you may find the spot is not ideal and not have time to move once the sun show his face.

you can check out some of the photos taken by others for reference, but do take note the sun will not rise and set at the same place thru out the whole year.

Thanks. I find tat taking sunrise, I have lot of free time on that day as I force myself to wake up early. Good for time management. Haha .. off topic.
Btw, we decide to change our location to changi beach to recce for next sat outings..

I use google skymap. By using the "fast forward" feature I can see exactly where sunrise/sunset moonrise/moonset will be from my location.

Upper Peirce is closed during the night / early morning, 7.30 pm to 6.00 am. Not sure if it had been changed. You could go at 6am, and carefully climb down the embankment dam (the huge slope), down to Lower Peirce, which your view would be eastward. Try to recce first in afternoon.

Upper Peirce is closed during the night / early morning, 7.30 pm to 6.00 am. Not sure if it had been changed. You could go at 6am, and carefully climb down the embankment dam (the huge slope), down to Lower Peirce, which your view would be eastward. Try to recce first in afternoon.

Thanks for the advice

oh another advice. dun jump into the waters... u might be the 9th person...

stay safe my friend.

a warden will come and close the main gate at 730pm. however, there is a side entrance for people to get out or in which does not lock..... it will be a really bad idea to lock people inside there through the night.....

Whatever you do don't go into the water to shoot and contributing to another floating body in reservoirs.

There are unseen lonely female water spirits looking for handsome young men. :bsmilie:

must remember to pray to the god of punggol rocks... the mysterious one that lurks around the waters...

then u will have a safe trip to all the reservoirs... and rocks appearing when u need them:angel: