PD70X question

Status
Not open for further replies.

unitedsmurfs

Feb 19, 2004
Hi i have a pd70x with an 80 gig harddisk. i was wondering if i can just format the entire 80gig hdd to fat32 for use or do i have to partion it? if i have to, how do i go about doing it? i have not been successful in partitioning the drive in win xp using disk management. would the east gear rep be able to answer this question? thanks

let me try,

i think XP doesnt allow u to format in FAT 32 above 32gb. hence its best that u use the force format(using a CF or SD card) using the PD70X. format is very fast.

if u partition ur hdisk using computer. i think the PD70X will only read the first partition(ie. 32gb if u used XP) and stop after that. dun think u will be able to save anymore to the rest of the drive.

If thats the case, will the PC (running on XP) be able to read the remaining 8GB of a 40GB PD70x? Weird.

The important part is the formatting. If it doesn't format all 80, you'll never be able to use it.

thanks for the replies. the reason i am asking is because i read somewhere that the pd70x can only support a partition size of 40gig max in fat32 format. so i was wondering if there would be anything wrong if it was 80gigs in fat32 format.

The guy at east gear said it can do 100GB. Now how far this is true i don't know.

It supports only the first partition. Windows XP can only format it to 32Gb. If you wish to format it beyond 32Gb, you will need CDFormatter.exe that can be loaded from the sanho website

unitedsmurfs said:
Hi i have a pd70x with an 80 gig harddisk. i was wondering if i can just format the entire 80gig hdd to fat32 for use or do i have to partion it? if i have to, how do i go about doing it? i have not been successful in partitioning the drive in win xp using disk management. would the east gear rep be able to answer this question? thanks

Did you read the User Manual before you start using the PD70X and ask question in the forums?

In Page 45 of the Manual, It clearly stated how to Format the Harddisk. If you do not have the manual, you can download it from here http://www.compactdrive.com/download.php?p=pd70x or contact EastGear for one.

Due to the Limitation of WinXP operating system Fat32 format, you can’t format any harddisk above 32GB without an additional utility in WinXP.

thanks for all the replies everyone. i have formatted 80 gigs in fat32 format, just hope that the device can support this. leaving for japan in 15 mins, hope with fingers crossed that the compact drive will pass this japan test hopefully not with the fire and brimstone. if all goes well, will have some nice photos to post up hopefully. thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.