PCMCIA CF Reader vs USB2.0 CF Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

likefunyouare

Oct 15, 2002
Bedok
Visit site
Hello. Can anyone enlighten me which devise is faster in terms of transfer speed from CF card to a notebook hdd? The PCMCIA one seems more convenient for notebooks.
Thanks.

there's a 32-bit PCMCIA card reader available in the market... it's the fastest darn thing out there. faster than USB2. i transfer 1gb of files in about 3 mins... :thumbsup:

Larry said:
there's a 32-bit PCMCIA card reader available in the market... it's the fastest darn thing out there. faster than USB2. i transfer 1gb of files in about 3 mins... :thumbsup:

Wow! Where did you get it!? Been thinking of getting one of these...
:bigeyes:

Zplus said:
Wow! Where did you get it!? Been thinking of getting one of these...
:bigeyes:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.

Larry said:

I guessed those cheaper $20 Sandisk ones are 16bit. Are they much slower than USB2.0? Thanks.

likefunyouare said:
I guessed those cheaper $20 Sandisk ones are 16bit. Are they much slower than USB2.0? Thanks.

I have tried USB 2.0 reader, firewire reader, those cheap $9 PCMCIA reader and 32bit PCMCIA card bus that cost 10 times more.

in terms of speed from fastest to slowest

32bit PCMCIA card bus > firewire > USB 2.0 reader > $9 PCMCIA reader

too bad I seldom use laptop, so USB 2.0 reader is my choice, cos I can use on any PC or laptop

Darren said:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.

You can use those cards on Mac OS X, just go to Delkin website download their CF32A driver, it's the same thing.

Hmm.... the FW card reader is good but I'm still opting for the cheaper $20 SanDisk PCMCIA CF adapter card bus coz I dun need the speed although it's supposedly a part of the digital workflow (speed). Really depends on what you want.

Darren said:

S$85?... tat's kinda expensive for the speed...

latmo said:
hm i am thinking of getting a PCMCIA CF card reader also
cos my X40 dun have CF slot
any brand or model to recommend ?
thanks

No CF reader? the X21 and X31 use to have it...

Is this the Aska PCMCIA CF reader? I thought cost about $110-120, anybody bought from eastgear, if $85 i don't mind getting. Anybody can confirm?

Darren said:

Status
Not open for further replies.