PCMCIA CF Reader vs USB2.0 CF Reader


Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2002
153
0
0
Bedok
Visit site
#1
Hello. Can anyone enlighten me which devise is faster in terms of transfer speed from CF card to a notebook hdd? The PCMCIA one seems more convenient for notebooks.
Thanks.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#2
there's a 32-bit PCMCIA card reader available in the market... it's the fastest darn thing out there. faster than USB2. i transfer 1gb of files in about 3 mins... :thumbsup:
 

Zplus

Senior Member
Mar 16, 2002
2,397
0
0
19
Some equitorial, tropical isle
#3
Larry said:
there's a 32-bit PCMCIA card reader available in the market... it's the fastest darn thing out there. faster than USB2. i transfer 1gb of files in about 3 mins... :thumbsup:
Wow! Where did you get it!? Been thinking of getting one of these...
:bigeyes:
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#4
Zplus said:
Wow! Where did you get it!? Been thinking of getting one of these...
:bigeyes:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.
 

Oct 15, 2002
153
0
0
Bedok
Visit site
#5
Larry said:
there's a 32-bit PCMCIA card reader available in the market... it's the fastest darn thing out there. faster than USB2. i transfer 1gb of files in about 3 mins... :thumbsup:
I guessed those cheaper $20 Sandisk ones are 16bit. Are they much slower than USB2.0? Thanks.
 

Wai

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
5,270
0
36
39
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
#6
likefunyouare said:
I guessed those cheaper $20 Sandisk ones are 16bit. Are they much slower than USB2.0? Thanks.
I have tried USB 2.0 reader, firewire reader, those cheap $9 PCMCIA reader and 32bit PCMCIA card bus that cost 10 times more.

in terms of speed from fastest to slowest

32bit PCMCIA card bus > firewire > USB 2.0 reader > $9 PCMCIA reader

too bad I seldom use laptop, so USB 2.0 reader is my choice, cos I can use on any PC or laptop
 

oeyvind

Senior Member
Feb 25, 2002
3,828
1
38
www.oeyvind.org
#8
Darren said:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.
You can use those cards on Mac OS X, just go to Delkin website download their CF32A driver, it's the same thing.
 

#9
Hmm.... the FW card reader is good but I'm still opting for the cheaper $20 SanDisk PCMCIA CF adapter card bus coz I dun need the speed although it's supposedly a part of the digital workflow (speed). Really depends on what you want.
 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#10
Darren said:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.
S$85?... tat's kinda expensive for the speed...
 

joyfulcity

New Member
Jul 24, 2002
59
0
0
www.joyfulcity.com
#14
Is this the Aska PCMCIA CF reader? I thought cost about $110-120, anybody bought from eastgear, if $85 i don't mind getting. Anybody can confirm?

Darren said:
If I recall correctly, there are 2 units available at Eastgear's shop and they are selling for S$85 each.

I have one of these, and can vouch that they are really really fast. Unfortunately, the drivers are for Windows only.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom