PC Wont Boot. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesame_street98

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Hey guys,

Need help from the computer expert here. My PC just died for no reason yesterday night. It hung in the middle of my MSN conversation and when I restarted, the computer took super long to boot up (even the first screen).

After 5 minutes or more, it gets to the Window XP screen with the loading blue bar and it just keep on loading and loading and loading... Once It went to the disk check screen, but it detected no error. When it went back to the loading screen, the whole thing hung again.

I cleaned the fan, I cleaned the motherboard and no change (my idea of 'fixing'). I did hear clicking noises as if the hard disk is trying to turn but couldnt.

All my pics are inside. Help! TIA!

hmm, where u stay? sounds serious...

my advice, off your pc and look for professionals...

prepare spare cash enuff to buy 1 hdd at least.

also...

list down your hardware and software installed.

Try unplugging all the devices, except HDD.

Can boot?

When booting into the post screen, does the HDD's S.M.A.R.T status show anything?

If the HDD is dead then you have to opt for professional recovery already.

Try unplugging all the devices, except HDD.

Can boot?

When booting into the post screen, does the HDD's S.M.A.R.T status show anything?

If the HDD is dead then you have to opt for professional recovery already.

hdd dead, dun think can boot up liao...

think its either alot of bad sectors or the ram kicking bucket.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I tried to go to BIOS and I reset it to "lock safe" or "fail safe" settings. But it still failed. Before I tried that lock safe setting, the computer even failed to detect the windows program i.e. asking me to insert boot CDs.

Anyone has any contact of professionals who can help? How much do you think will it cost?

I will be really surprised if my HDD fail as it is only 2 years old.

wazzup5: I will try ur suggestion tonight. You mean it should be able to boot without HDD? Which one is the SMART status? Sorry I am not too expert in this. Appreciate your help.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I tried to go to BIOS and I reset it to "lock safe" or "fail safe" settings. But it still failed. Before I tried that lock safe setting, the computer even failed to detect the windows program i.e. asking me to insert boot CDs.

Anyone has any contact of professionals who can help? How much do you think will it cost?

wazzup5: I will try ur suggestion tonight. You mean it should be able to boot without HDD? Which one is the SMART status? Sorry I am not too expert in this. Appreciate your help.

manufacturer give u 5 year warranty, don't mean 5 year worry free... its just when spoilt, they give u either a new, or refurbished... data not included.

i have hdd that fail in 1 year, due to overheating (10k scsi) and normal hdd that won't spoil for 5 years.

since u are not sure of your system, best to bring to the place where u bought your system. if u stay around my area, dun mind helping you out.

manufacturer give u 5 year warranty, don't mean 5 year worry free... its just when spoilt, they give u either a new, or refurbished... data not included.

i have hdd that fail in 1 year, due to overheating (10k scsi) and normal hdd that won't spoil for 5 years.

since u are not sure of your system, best to bring to the place where u bought your system. if u stay around my area, dun mind helping you out.
I am not really sure actually, Thanks for the offer Del_CtrlnoAlt! Which area do you stay in?

nothing to be suprised when a HDD fail... if you are unlucky, the HDD might just fail the next day after you bought it, if you are some lucky chap, it might last for even 10yrs with reasonable usage.

Its HItachi!!
My Hitachi failed on me while I was in tibet... meaning yes, my portable storage device died :cry: :cry: :cry:

But I RMA 1-1 liao :(

If you seriously hear the clicking sound, you can prepare to RIP the HDD. Mine did, and the S.M.A.R.T status was reported as failing, so I got a new HDD from my MIS and replaced it.

Now the parts sit on my desk as display. Hais. :(

My Hitachi failed on me while I was in tibet... meaning yes, my portable storage device died :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you seriously hear the clicking sound, you can prepare to RIP the HDD. Mine did, and the S.M.A.R.T status was reported as failing, so I got a new HDD from my MIS and replaced it.

Waks! Did you manage to salvage all the pics? Tell me you did, so I will feel better. Heh

using as paperweight ar...

Sound like Harddisk is not working. If the data is not important, then send the HD for repair or get a new HD and install the OS.

Sound like hard disk failure.
If mechanical failure, then you will need professional help to recover.
If electronic board failure, just find a similar hard disk with the same revision and swap the board.

Sound like Harddisk is not working. If the data is not important, then send the HD for repair or get a new HD and install the OS.
Yah I am convinced my HDD failed now with all the comments here. Any recommendations of what HDD to get? I have another old PC with a 10 year old HDD with no problem! and this 2 year old one failed. Arrgghh

Status
Not open for further replies.