PC unable to connect to wireless network... pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
Hey guys,
my PC installed with a wireless adapter is unable to connect with the linksys router. My Macbookpro has no such problems though.

When trying to connect, the PC just get stuck at the "acquiring IP address" bit... so the waiting goes on and on...

However, if the router is reset.. the PC strangely is able to connect to the router... ie this problem only occurs if the router was switched on for sometime before the PC is turned on...

Wondering what's the problem here... my adapter is spoilt? Router is spoilt?

Also, i was wondering whether to get one of those wall socket ethernet connectors (ie using the existing electrical cabling in the house to transmit the data) would that solve the problem?

TIA

It sounds like my old problem.

Not sure, but I think it is settings of the DHCP or something settings....

1)Router is limited to a certain no. of allocated host IP.
2) All the IP allocated liao, that why your computer cannot accquire the IP
3) So if do a reset, all allocated IP are free again..

Hi Londonray. What model is your router, and is there anything (other machines) connected to the router before the PC attempts to connect?

Are all these problems happening in the Dark Room? If not, I think this thread is not too appropriate for this forum :)

Are all these problems happening in the Dark Room? If not, I think this thread is not too appropriate for this forum :)

me think so too,maybe kopitiam not many people want to reply.
Here goes mine, state your router and adapter model and settings/config.
So that it's easier to tell where goes wrong.

Hi Londonray. What model is your router, and is there anything (other machines) connected to the router before the PC attempts to connect?

okies... using a linksys router (Similar to the WRT54G but the wireless B version) and linksys wireless adapter (WUSB11v4). I am writing this post using the PC with the wireless card now... seems like its fine... but the macbookpro in my room cannot connect to the wireless network now... sigh....

Okies... here's the setup in my house... I have 3 computers (2 PC and 1 macbookpro) The modem is connected to the router and 1 PC right beside the modem uses a ethernet cable connection. THat PC does not have any problem connecting whatsoever....

However, the other PC (ie the one with the wireless adapter) and macbookpro experience problems connecting rather frequently...

i just checked my router settings... mac filter is off... WEP is on... DHCP is enabled (starting from 192.168.1.100 with 50 addresses... hence i presume that is not gonna be a prob since there are only 3 computers? I have also set the router to assign IP addresses automatically... could that be a problem? should i manually assign IP addresses to each of the coms?

THanks for all the help guys... really hope to resolve this in a "smart" way rather than having to go back to cables... cheers!

i just checked my router settings... mac filter is off... WEP is on... DHCP is enabled (starting from 192.168.1.100 with 50 addresses... hence i presume that is not gonna be a prob since there are only 3 computers? I have also set the router to assign IP addresses automatically... could that be a problem? should i manually assign IP addresses to each of the coms?
how abt change the wireless settings to mac filtering off , WEP off, DHCP enabled. Check whether other 2 devices with wireless can work ? Other desktop with wireless, go to DOS, type in ipconfig to check for ip address, post it here.

check whether u are connecting to your correct wireless network
sekali got more than 47 illegal connection to your network leh :bsmilie:

try using manual ip allocation loh, will helps, easier to maintain too

Try connecting your PC to the router directly first based on DHCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.