PC system,how much is good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not? :) I believe 1GB of RAM is good enough. I am running Photoshop on a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz and with 512MB of RAM. Works fine but lags because of insufficient RAM. :D

lightroom requires more ram else it will be slow.

Now PC so cheap, just get the best your budget can get you! Spluge more on the RAM and HD. CPU speed go for the average will do. If got more money get a good graphics card, so that you can go high res when you have the money to get huge LCD.

Its best to get at least 2 GB of RAM for Lightroom.

I have only 1 GB of RAM on my system. The max PSCS2 it has ever used is about 800MB. The leftover 200MB is not enough if I am running other stuff in the background.

c2d + 2GB ram + big hdd is the way to go. (you are in CS remember! :bsmilie: )
price different between pentiumD + 1gb ram and low end c2d + 2gb ram is about $200, but it will save many of your time, electricity (process consumption is lower + lesser working time with image > ok im going lame here :bsmilie: )

c2d + 2GB ram + big hdd is the way to go. (you are in CS remember! :bsmilie: )
price different between pentiumD + 1gb ram and low end c2d + 2gb ram is about $200, but it will save many of your time, electricity (process consumption is lower + lesser working time with image > ok im going lame here :bsmilie: )

Agree about the Core 2 Duo. Finally, some good stuff from Intel! (AMD Fanboy here. :bsmilie:)

plus even a bottom end core 2 duo is way more overclockable than a pentium D. my 1.83 is running smoothly at 3.15ghz.

I'm using LR on a Pentium 2.4 with 1GB ram, 3+ years old com. Previews are slow but editing/exporting wise is fast enough. If you have the patience to categorise your photos well and wait for the previews to come up my specs which are quite low is good enough. If I were you i'd go for a core2duo with at least 2GB ram. If you're going 4GB i think you need vista 64bit if i'm not wrong?

At least 2 GB.
Go for 4 GB.
On of the best buys you can make. Ignore the shop owners when they say no need, your system cannot address so many GB...blah...blah....

thansk guys for all the infos.. at present i own a Pentium D,2.80GHZ
so what i'll do is stack more ram to at least 2G... and that should do fine right?

thansk guys for all the infos.. at present i own a Pentium D,2.80GHZ
so what i'll do is stack more ram to at least 2G... and that should do fine right?

Yup, 2GB should be sufficient for your needs at the moment. Unless you are doing some really huge pano HDR files or really large rendering.

can we say that video card is not really that important for photoshop post processing?

I always hear recommendations for :
add ram, add ram, add harddisk, add ram

think video card is more for 3D rendering, more appropriate for gaming, yes?

can we say that video card is not really that important for photoshop post processing?

I always hear recommendations for :
add ram, add ram, add harddisk, add ram

think video card is more for 3D rendering, more appropriate for gaming, yes?

Actually, you need a better video card if you get some of those massive 27" displays. :sweat:

Actually, you need a better video card if you get some of those massive 27" displays. :sweat:
if you got the moolah to buy that monster, the price of video card and 4gb ram is nothing. :bsmilie:

I believe its only the 30" 4MPixel screens that require dual link DVI... even then, there are low end cards with dual link DVI so you don't really need a high end card for those 30" screens...

I believe its only the 30" 4MPixel screens that require dual link DVI... even then, there are low end cards with dual link DVI so you don't really need a high end card for those 30" screens...

Ok, thought that some of the 27" needed that also. What is a bigger concern is how much RAM the card has. Integrated cards are not worth anything, since most of them share RAM with the system. Most decent low end cards have at least 32MB on them now. More then enough for a 1920 x 1200 screen at true colour.

Ok, thought that some of the 27" needed that also. What is a bigger concern is how much RAM the card has. Integrated cards are not worth anything, since most of them share RAM with the system. Most decent low end cards have at least 32MB on them now. More then enough for a 1920 x 1200 screen at true colour.
why bother getting a card with 32mb when you can easily get card with 256mb at <$100. :bsmilie:

I am just fitting up a system.. here is my cost. (in Malaysian Ringgit)

AM2 X2 D.Core 4000 @ RM385.00
AsRock AM2NF4G-SATA2 @ RM200
Patriot DDR2 1Gb X 2 @ RM180
HDD 160Gb Seagate SATA2 @190
HIS IceQ AtiX1650pro turbo with DDR3 256mb @ RM350
and a cheapo casing RM80

Not that cheap but I get what I wanted in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.