PC question - CS3 on 6GB RAM, monitor recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Will be getting a new i7 Core system soon.....wanna run triple channel memory so its 3GB or 6GB.

I always prefer to standby the PC so as to cache all of my fav programs which i use, so 6GB would be cool. Will be running CS3.

So my question is for 6GB to be workable/fully utilised, i need to get 64-bit Vista?

Does CS3 have any max memory utilisation limit? Seriously I don't think my usage/filters/actions take up that much memory and 1-2GB for PS itself would be very good....just that get 6GB once and for all settle lar....more power to the OS and cache (coz currently running on 2GB XP Pro anyway). Also wanna return to playing games. :D

Also pls recommend a 23-24" 1920x1024 monitor that's good for image editing. Eyeing the Acer P243W and Samsung 2333SW/2433BW. The Acer with backit LED looks cooler, more contrast, but the net says that its clipping the highlights sooner or something like that. In real life I don't really see much of an issue leh....compared to the Samsungs the Acer looks better. I don't think i wanna spend that much on the 22" high end Samsungs.

Thanks.

you will need a 64-bit OS to fully used up your ram more then 3.2 GB.

Monitor look for Viewsonic VX or VP series, Dell, samsung B or T series, phillips Brilliance series.

Last edited:
The new i7 Core looks pretty good. Don't need to overclock at all. For me its an issue as i churn batch at one go and its > 1k pix one shot, that's a couple of hrs on my P4-3GHz.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170063&page=17
heard i7 core is able to overclock easily to 4Ghz no sweat. just change heatsink will do.

Unlike my quad, unable to reach 3.5Ghz.

Wow..
How much?

You must have a 64bit OS to utilize more than 4GB of RAM. (Any version of Win XP or Vista that does not work in 64bit ways will only show you 4GB of physical RAM. The amount of RAM available to applications will be even less due to constraints in the Windows architecture.)
Applications will get the memory allocated from the OS based on actual system load and other parameters regardless what is requested by the application. If your CS3 is a 64bit version (not sure if such version exists) then it can use the full range of memory available in the 64bit system. If it's just a 32bit application then it is restricted already by design and 64bit Vista will run it in the same way as your current Win XP.

For me it's really IPS or bust. Philips has a 24" IPS monitor that's going for $739. I think there are other similar models but the Philips one is easy to get. NEC has some models; I recall their 26" model is $1799. Clipping occurs on the Acers and Samsungs because they're using 6 bit panels.

The rest have talked about the memory issue and I have nothing else to add to that.

For me it's really IPS or bust. Philips has a 24" IPS monitor that's going for $739. I think there are other similar models but the Philips one is easy to get. NEC has some models; I recall their 26" model is $1799. Clipping occurs on the Acers and Samsungs because they're using 6 bit panels.

The rest have talked about the memory issue and I have nothing else to add to that.
oh ya, forgot to mention, a 8bit panel is important too.

If your CS3 is a 64bit version (not sure if such version exists) then it can use the full range of memory available in the 64bit system. If it's just a 32bit application then it is restricted already by design and 64bit Vista will run it in the same way as your current Win XP.

Hi,

Ok lets say I have such a combi. 6GB RAM on 64-bit Vista, CS3 - 32-bit. Say if my CS3 stuff takes 3GB max (most prob 2GB would be flying scratch, image size, actions/layers and all), I think the 32-bit CS3 part wouldn't be an issue right? So it would be 3GB left for OS, misc apps and cache. I think 32-bit CS3 would be ok, next time then aim for whatever future s/w upgrades.

Coz I have a habit of selecting a handful of images (12Mp max) and opening all up in PS, that's prob the most taxing part. Batch would be more of CPU/memory bandwidth and then HDD I guess.

Last edited:
no srly...
What's the estimate cost?:)

Shucks that's expensive! ;p Sorry a bit cheapo here, times are bad, don't wish to spend > 3k on the PC overall (and I still have to factor in some games for my entertainment). Seriously I am not that particular, but will check out this IPS technology nevertheless. Thanks!

Like that I think I would have to rethink about getting the sigma 50/1.4 liao... :D

no srly...
What's the estimate cost?:)

Without monitor, 2k can get you a i7-920 system unit with good gfx, ram, mobo, HDD, not cutting edge components but upper middle.

heard i7 core is able to overclock easily to 4Ghz no sweat. just change heatsink will do.

Unlike my quad, unable to reach 3.5Ghz.

I whack 1k pix in batch, say 30 mins one shot 100% CPU, i think sure cook the CPU. :bsmilie:

But then again i7 runs cooler than Q9xxx. :think: Invest in a good HSF might be good.

But hey, i7-920 can o/c, or must go for the X-965?

Wah lao eh you see, just now I posted the first question in this thread, until now the batch still haven't finish. LOL! :D

Last edited:
Intel Core i7 920, about $284 (prices in USD)
i7 940 about $562
i7 965 Extreme Edition about $999.
Prices would probably be higher than stated above...
If you go back a few weeks, in STS's DL they mentioned the i7 and the price...

Will be getting a new i7 Core system soon.....wanna run triple channel memory so its 3GB or 6GB.

I always prefer to standby the PC so as to cache all of my fav programs which i use, so 6GB would be cool. Will be running CS3.

So my question is for 6GB to be workable/fully utilised, i need to get 64-bit Vista?

Does CS3 have any max memory utilisation limit? Seriously I don't think my usage/filters/actions take up that much memory and 1-2GB for PS itself would be very good....just that get 6GB once and for all settle lar....more power to the OS and cache (coz currently running on 2GB XP Pro anyway). Also wanna return to playing games. :D

Also pls recommend a 23-24" 1920x1024 monitor that's good for image editing. Eyeing the Acer P243W and Samsung 2333SW/2433BW. The Acer with backit LED looks cooler, more contrast, but the net says that its clipping the highlights sooner or something like that. In real life I don't really see much of an issue leh....compared to the Samsungs the Acer looks better. I don't think i wanna spend that much on the 22" high end Samsungs.

Thanks.

if you splurge on a i7, might as well get a better graphics card and a good monitor for accurate colors instead of one thats more for gaming, unless your purpose is for gaming.

mine running i7 with 6gb ram. HT on, 8 core. strange is, i never even see anyone of my cores going more than 50%... maybe cos i'm not running vista... lol...

my monitor is Philips 240PW, not really a good screen to game with.

Without monitor, 2k can get you a i7-920 system unit with good gfx, ram, mobo, HDD, not cutting edge components but upper middle.

2k is gonna be very tight for such a system the TS is mentioning,
esp with the i7, and 6GB ram...
a decent HDD, one with a higher RPM, would also $cost$more$
and it wld be equally awesome to have 2 Nvidia 9XXX gfx cards
and all these wld require a compatible Mobo
and all adding up wld be over 2k i believe...
but still... BBB
its spreading, unresistable!;p

I whack 1k pix in batch, say 30 mins one shot 100% CPU, i think sure cook the CPU. :bsmilie:

But then again i7 runs cooler than Q9xxx. :think: Invest in a good HSF might be good.

But hey, i7-920 can o/c, or must go for the X-965?

Wah lao eh you see, just now I posted the first question in this thread, until now the batch still haven't finish. LOL! :D
lol... i think mine quad extreme is cool enough for me with stock fan OC. :)

Try using stress test like prime95 and intel burn-in test to see if the whole thing is stable enough.

*beware that the tempurature of CPU and GPU will increase alot.

Last edited:
just cpu, mobo, ram, gfx card... 2.5k gone lor...

I go low end GB-UDP3, 1066 ram, cheap Powercolor 4850 and the likes nia lar.... Thinking of just 2 x 500GB Caviar Black for backup/PS work. Wah lao, store wedding couples pix for > 6 months for what. :bsmilie:
I guess people may be surprised that even though much income comes from the pix, I don't put accuracy that high up coz ultimately it boils down to style (and actually I tend to overexpose a lot - couples like that more and it tends to bring in more $$$.....I tend to be accurate and the pix were boring....funny right?)

Giga-UDP3 with i7-920 = 774. But then one can pay much more for o/c needs I guess and the need for faster RAM. Costs would go significantly up.

You are right, its more for games. Mid pack performance enough.

Yeah haven't factored in casing and PSU. 500W enough?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.