pc problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beibeiteo

Jan 26, 2002
North
sori if this is not the right place to post.. but i've been having this problem with my pc this week. . .sometimes my pc will just shut off by itself, meaning, the power will just switch off .. and even if i turn it on again, it will start for a while, and without even going into windows mode, it will die. Then I will just leave it at that. But when I come home at night and switch it on again, it works for a while, like half an hour, before switching off again. There is nothing wrong with my programs or windows at all, but just that I can't switch it on again. I have to let it 'rest' for a long time before it works again.

My monitor also sometimes cannot be switched on at all.

initially i thought it's a power plug problem, but strangely all my other devices that are connected to tat particular power plug works fine. i'm not over-using my multi-plug.. . only connected one monitor plug and one CPU plug. .. plus sometimes my speakers.

so that means, it could be a pc power problem? or what?

does anyone know what's wrong with it? or can recommend me a good computer technician to solve my problem? please pm me .. thanks a lot!

Trouble shooting this kind of problem is a lot of work and also trial and error. My suggestion is to save all your data and reformat your pc and install a fresh copy of Windows. Your problem could be hardware (hard disk, RAM, conflicts etc) or software related. The shortest and easiest way to find out is to format and just install Windows. Then see if this still happens. If not then install your other software and monitor it for a while.

Try to check whether your card are tight enough or not. Clean the card connector and make sure it is tight after place back. Sometime, it is the hardware problem more than the software, you never know. ;)

Adam Goi said:
Wah ~

I can think of a few possibilities ... faulty P/S, faulty multi-plug? :think:

If this is true then there should be no power....so cannot start-up.

Maybe can check if the fan of the the cpu and NBridge is running. Heat can cause problem also. My current P4 CPU fan, when boot up time running, but sometime stop by itself wan. Later found out that it was due to temperature sensor turning the fan off :)

But many years ago, My P3 got cannot power up problem,
the svs man at first change the power supply. Still cannot boot.
Then he change the video card, also cannot boot.
Finally he change the main board. The comp then ok liao. :)

Hope this helps :)

jbma said:
If this is true then there should be no power....so cannot start-up.

Not really, if the PS fan is faulty sometime it can give power sometime cannot (if it is overheating).

How old is the PC system?

I suspect it could be faulty fans in on the system board. Once overheated, it will either shutdown, reboot or hang the system. That explains why you have to wait awhile before you can turn it on again.

Is your PC system placed in a well-ventilated location? If air is not well-circulated, hot air will be drawn back in, causing heat accumulation too.

You can also try opening up the PC CPU box and see that all fans are spinning. In old systems, when the lubricants dry up and dirt accumulate, the fans might have problems spinning.

Do have a look and see what happens.

Ever thought of the power supply? Have 3 pc with similar problem, bought and use for sometime, then it starts to shut down itself. Sometimes can start, sometimes I can't. I don't want to waste time on troubleshooting it, so I raise a PR and get some Repair services company to take a look at the PC. He checked the whole afternoon and finally conclude it's the power supply fault. Changed a new one and charged me $75.

Next day I went down SLS to get 2 power supply and changed the other 2 pc myself. :)

togu said:
Ever thought of the power supply? Have 3 pc with similar problem, bought and use for sometime, then it starts to shut down itself. Sometimes can start, sometimes I can't. I don't want to waste time on troubleshooting it, so I raise a PR and get some Repair services company to take a look at the PC. He checked the whole afternoon and finally conclude it's the power supply fault. Changed a new one and charged me $75.

Next day I went down SLS to get 2 power supply and changed the other 2 pc myself. :)

Yep. It could be the power supply in your PC is spoilt. maybe one of its capacitor is not doing good. Borrow one power supply from someone, replace it and check it out.

a few possibilities with those syndromes u mentioned bro.

1) Power supply is dying.
either u get a new one if u're SURE that its the power supply, or i would suggest that u borrow one from ur friend to check whether its the power supply's fault or not.

2) RAM
the memory modules might be dying. try jacking it out and inserting back into the slot again. trip and clean the golden contact surfaces before putting the module back. dusts can sometimes just be the problem. high probability that its this part of the PC thats not functioning correctly.

3)Central Processing unit
if its more than 1.5 years old, it might just be the chip. u can try to test the problem again, with another friend's chip of the same/similar specs. becareful not to insert chips of different specifications from the m/b. u might just burn the thing. :eek:

4) graphics card
the simplest way to testing it is to actually, again, borrow a good one to test it on ur PC. :angel:

if u have optimized all these parts and none work, try working on ur software part. if not, PC doctor here i come. (then again, i will strongly suggest u troubleshoot on urself becos its expensive to go to one. consultation alone was $30 already.. that was 2 years ago. thats y i stopped going to those.)

***BACK UP ALL UR FILES IMMEDIATELY***

simplest solution = upgrade.

Hi all,

thanks for all your suggestions.. i will try them out tonite.. .since most of you think that it's the power supply's problem.. i will check it out first.. .

but just a stupid qn.. the power supply is the wire that connects the pc and the power socket rite? and does all pc power supply works on every computer? can i just borrow my brother's power supply if that is the case?

my pc is P4 .. bought at least 2 years ago.. was thinking of upgrading the RAM and memory though.. sometimes running huge programs really slow my work. . :(

Adam,

haha.. but I am willing to pay a token sum if someone is willing to come and troubleshoot for me. .I lives in toa payoh.. ;p i really dun know how to open up my pc. ..

Adam Goi said:
Alternatively, post a reward here and wait for response ... I'm sure many of us here are familiar with troubleshooting ... :bsmilie:

Wow HWZ-like, below is my guess from experience.
1st guess is pc power supply, if intermitten fail, most likely leaky capacitor.
2nd guess is pc reset button, it can get sticky after many years usage.
3rd guess is heat ventilation inside the pc casing, maybe some flat cable causing heat trapped inside, the cpu will shut down immediately.

(Does your monitor draw power from the pc power supply? Or it connect power directly from outlet socket?)

beibeiteo said:
but just a stupid qn.. the power supply is the wire that connects the pc and the power socket rite? and does all pc power supply works on every computer? can i just borrow my brother's power supply if that is the case?
The power supply includes more than that wire that conects the pc and power socket.
When you open up your PC casing, you should see a metal box with lots of wires coming out of it. That's the power supply that you have to replace. Un plug all sockets that connects to the main board, unscrew the power supply from the casing. in case there's any capacitor leakage, please use something metal to discharge the power supply casing before u touch it. :p

Astin, my monitor connects power directly from the power socket.. .

Dolpjki, if that is the case, i really hv to get someone to come and open it up for me.. so complicated. .I don't wanna spoilt any more things inside.. hahaa. .

dolpjki said:
The power supply includes more than that wire that conects the pc and power socket.
When you open up your PC casing, you should see a metal box with lots of wires coming out of it. That's the power supply that you have to replace. Un plug all sockets that connects to the main board, unscrew the power supply from the casing. in case there's any capacitor leakage, please use something metal to discharge the power supply casing before u touch it. :p

Probably your PC's hardwares have all come to the end of life, and that is the signal. You should prepare yourself for the worst.

Hi beibeiteo,

I agree with suggestions above, but I have a question ...

You say that sometimes the monitor will not switch on.

Do you mean it does not show a power light or power light for monitor is on but no picture.

An other possability could be bad mains power (such as brown out).

By this I mean, the power where you live may go low. This can cause your problems.

Do the house lights go a bit dimmer at any time ? (this can indicate low mains voltage problem).

Just a suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.