PC or MAC for Photoshop

MamboJambo

Jan 18, 2011
Hi, I was thinking of getting a MACbook Pro to do Photoshop. After searching over the Internet, most claim that there is no difference between PC or MAC. Hence I like to know those who own PC or MAC, what is your view and recommendation.

One thing I observed is that MAC tense to have better view of picture than PC.

Please kindly input your view to help me to decide.

A million thanks.

Hi, I was thinking of getting a MACbook Pro to do Photoshop. After searching over the Internet, most claim that there is no difference between PC or MAC. Hence I like to know those who own PC or MAC, what is your view and recommendation.

Please kindly input your view to help me to decide.

A million thanks.

You already searched the net and got answers. The answers on here will be the same as all the other threads you found. Mac users will say mac is best, PC users will say PC is best.

I say PC or Mac does not matter if your skills suck. If you have good skills, then PC or Mac will also not matter.

I'm using PC
Given the same specifications for MBP vs PC, i doubt you'll see any difference in terms of speed
MAC tend to have better view of picture? are you comparing glossy MAC screens vs Matte LCDs screens used by PCs? if so, glossy screen tends to make your photos looks 'nicer'.

from what I've gathered, the MBP does not use a IPS panel, but instead TN panel
If using PC (I suppose you are referring to desktop), you can get S-PVA or IPS panels LCD screens which gives you more accurate colors.

I've not used a MAC before, but from what I've heard, the color management in MAC seems to be better than Windows.

Last edited:
at the same price point, unless u need a laptop, the pc will be way faster than a mac. unless u buy a wrong spec pc .... :)

No, it's just that the display settings are more to impress people. But if you want to edit pictures you want to see what is actually there, right? No point that your Wonderbra-MAC displays everything crazy-fancy but on other people's screen it looks dull.
Screens need calibration and you also need to pay attention to glaring surfaces. Whether Mac or not doesn't matter much, for serious editing screens with IPS panels are recommended. Dell has some good ones in the lineup, I also saw a promotion for online purchase, valid till 28 April.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have spoken to some friend and they told me that MAC is better in working with graphics. If getting PC version, the recommendation is to go with AMD chipset, which could handle graphics better than Intel.

I have gone to a couple of photography seminar and saw most of the PRO they use MAC to showcase their beautiful picture. Hence, my thought of photo editing should be using MAC than PC.

If PC version, what would be the recommended specs?

Your feedback and recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the feedback. I have spoken to some friend and they told me that MAC is better in working with graphics. If getting PC version, the recommendation is to go with AMD chipset, which could handle graphics better than Intel.
I think the difference lies somewhere in benchmark results which, undoubtedly, are done properly and thoroughly, but which have little relevance or impact on a person like us doing hobby work. Transaction benchmarks are meant for trading / transaction platforms and the usual gaming and 3D benchmarks are irrelevant here as well since photographic pictures are purely 2D data. There is nothing to render for the graphics chips in today's graphics cards. They sit idle apart from some support for the interface rendering (dialogue boxes) of Photoshop.

I have gone to a couple of photography seminar and saw most of the PRO they use MAC to showcase their beautiful picture. Hence, my thought of photo editing should be using MAC than PC.
A question of personal taste, nothing more. Some people just like the Look & Fell of MacOS over Windows. Many others are just disciples of Apple and will buy whatever they throw into the market (see iPod, iPad). Get something that really supports your work and makes it easier.
If PC version, what would be the recommended specs?
Any recent Intel or AMD CPU can do the job, at least 4GB of memory, Windows 7 64bit or MacOS.
For normal graphics (2D) work any graphics card with 32MB memory would be sufficient but are no longer offered. Get a low end model if you don't play PC games, maybe even without fan (less noise!).
Spend some time thinking about HDD configuration. You need one for OS, one for swap / scratch files and others for data. Data disks should run at least in RAID1 (many boards offer RAID1 for SATA disks). Get the 'green' versions / models of HDD. They use less power and stay cooler, which contributes to longer life time.

Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

i uses both pc and mac. Mac gives u richer colors but at times what u see on your MacBook Pro may not be what u print. If u do not print that much, mac will be a better choice in terms of graphic and looks. If u have a IPS monitor, just plug your mac onto it and do your editing. *-*

you just need a very big screen so your can see your picture in bigger size. OS wise, not really much difference. Adobe photoshop uses very little RAM.

Thank you guys for all the info and advice. I think I will go for PC since it will be more cost effective.:)

you just need a very big screen so your can see your picture in bigger size. OS wise, not really much difference. Adobe photoshop uses very little RAM.

wrong. photoshop uses alot of ram and the more ram u can give it, the better.

wrong. photoshop uses alot of ram and the more ram u can give it, the better.

sorry, what i meant is doing simple editing on photos doesn't require much ram. i've got no problem with my old computer with crappy specs.

Sgdevilzz said:
sorry, what i meant is doing simple editing on photos doesn't require much ram. i've got no problem with my old computer with crappy specs.

You are missing out...

Have you tried stitching 9 pieces panorama?
Add doing 27 HDR just for the kick.

You are missing out...

Have you tried stitching 9 pieces panorama?
Add doing 27 HDR just for the kick.

i've stitched at least 7 photos into one before. On a mac, takes quite awhile for it to complete.

There you go, one of the place where extra RAM can help hasten the process.
No offense btw, just pointing out what can RAM do for you in photoshop & other graphic software.

If it's doing simple editing(Levels, curves etc) then it doesn't require much ram to do it. Anyway, RAM nowadays are cheap so it shouldn't be a problem if TS gets 8gb ram to play with.

If it's doing simple editing(Levels, curves etc) then it doesn't require much ram to do it. Anyway, RAM nowadays are cheap so it shouldn't be a problem if TS gets 8gb ram to play with.

In that case TS must not forget to use 64bit versions of Windows. Otherwise the RAM remains unused. Mac OS has no issue there.

I upgraded from 4GB to 16GB, gave photoshop an 8GB RAMdisk as a scratchdisk...

Now it flies!

Thank you all for the advice.

Btw understand AMD perform better than Intel in Graphics but not Game. Intel chip set is better fir game. True?

Mac has I7, does pc have I7 as well?