PC or MAC for photo editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-`FerRo

Oct 28, 2004
www.gferro.com
Hi, I need to upgrade my existing pc, (I'm currently using a 19" monitor Desktop) , for post processing RAW images, I'm thinking of getting jus a 12" laptop, easier to bring around, hence my questions are which one to get, options are:

1. Apple 12" ibook G4 1.2Ghz ~ SGD1900 +/-
RAM 256MB PC2100 (266MHz)
30GB ATA/100 4200 rpm
Slot-Load Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)

2. Apple 12" powerbook G4 1.5Ghz ~ SGD3200 +/-
RAM 512MB PC2100 (266MHz)
80GB Ultra ATA/100; 5400 rpm
8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

3. The typical PC 12" laptop Intel Pentium M 1.8GHz e.g. IBM, Dell, Acer ~ SGD2500 +/-

256MB DDR SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Driver

4. or perhaps TABLET PC ~ SGD3000 +/-
touch Screen, Easier image editing?

hence need your comments, experience with regards of reliability etc and most important, speed.

Or perhaps any other option...Thanks in advance.

im not going to recommend any specific brand or model, but this is my general opinion..

either go for a high end power mac/powerbook, or nothing at all. a lower spec model is neither here nor there, but looks good. might as well go for a intel based system which offers better value for money.

please please don't flame me

Stereobox said:
im not going to recommend any specific brand or model, but this is my general opinion..

either go for a high end power mac/powerbook, or nothing at all. a lower spec model is neither here nor there, but looks good. might as well go for a intel based system which offers better value for money.

please please don't flame me

yep. for PSing in mac, u really need a machine with maxed-out RAM. else it will slow to a crawl. i had a 12" PB b4. 768MB RAM and still slow...

so far, from wat i heard, the top-of-the-line G5 desktop is one of the best PS machines ard.

my pick -> PC (Especially one on AMD based cpus :bsmilie:)

Why? Like the rest said, you need to be maxed out on ram for psing on mac. 512mb of ram is more than enough for normal psing while multitasking.

Klose said:
my pick -> PC (Especially one on AMD based cpus :bsmilie:)

Why? Like the rest said, you need to be maxed out on ram for psing on mac. 512mb of ram is more than enough for normal psing while multitasking.
Sure? 512MB on my PC can't do much with Nikon Capture + PS.

Anyway Powerbooks are running PC2700 (333) not PC2100 (266).

nightwolf75 said:
yep. for PSing in mac, u really need a machine with maxed-out RAM. else it will slow to a crawl. i had a 12" PB b4. 768MB RAM and still slow...

so far, from wat i heard, the top-of-the-line G5 desktop is one of the best PS machines ard.

I use a G5 desktop with 1.25GB of RAM and adobe CS2 and bridge is still very slow... Dunno why the new file browser bridge is SOOO SLOW on my MAC. maybe it is even slower on a PC....

I dont ususally recommend people to use Notebooks/Laptops for photoEditing, and other heavy tasks... cos their RAM is usually more expensive, and they have poorer performance compared to the Desktop systems...

If Portability is not one of your most important requirements, you might want to consider a desktop system with strong features... and at around the same price.

My 2 Cents!

Wind30 said:
I use a G5 desktop with 1.25GB of RAM and adobe CS2 and bridge is still very slow... Dunno why the new file browser bridge is SOOO SLOW on my MAC. maybe it is even slower on a PC....
I'm not running bridge on my Mac, but on my PC, it CRAWLS.... :rolleyes: PC I don't dre to run it on my Mac :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
Any will do...just calibrate your monitor and you're done...and get one with more RAm...>1Gb ;)
Really? Look at the iBook's display and compare with the PB's ;p

oh yea .. i forgot to mention ... the Desktop PC that I'm using today is actually ok for normal work... but ever since i'm into Digital Photography now... i find it reaaaaaaalllllyy ssseeellooww... haiya .. n u guyz will probably "amaze" in what PC i'm using today ...

well ... ready guyz ... the Desktop PC that I'm using is still running on PII350mhz! 384MB SDRAM (100mhz), 120GB Maxtor 8MB Graphic Card, USB 1.0 but on a 19" monitor

:eek:

hence need a new laptop ( i know a desktop of the same price is powerful, but need a lap top for portability, n yes, due to weight factor 12" will do)

Then the PB is a good choice. 12" PB + SD. :)

However, you do need to max up the RAM to 1.25GB. Cheers.

it was mentioned somewhere else that 12" apple laptop screen colour is inferior to 14" apple laptop screen colour? :think:..so u may like to go for 14" apple laptop

user111 said:
it was mentioned somewhere else that 12" apple laptop screen colour is inferior to 14" apple laptop screen colour? :think:..so u may like to go for 14" apple laptop
There are 2 camps of Books. iBooks (12", 14") and PowerBooks (12", 15", 17"). iBook's display will lose out to PB's. So if you're comparing PB 12" to iBook 14", iBook 14" will still lose. Comparing PB with itself, 12" will lose to the 15" & 17".

If you meant 15" PB, well it's nice, but it uses the same battery as 12" and doesn't last long because of the larger screen. (12" @ 3.5 hrs on calibrated screen vs 15" @ 2+ hrs)

whatever the choice.. dun go for your tablet PC option..

thanks for the info. then he should go for powerbook :thumbsup:

Go for a PC and get a 2nd hand 12" iBook G3 if you really need portability.. A hunt on local mac forums should allow you to get one for less than $1k very easily.. Maybe even a lot less than that.

For the PC, get either a AMD A64 3000+ (for budget system) or a Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz dual-core)..
The P4 D820 will out-gun even dual-A64 in Photoshop CS 2.
More ram is good and 2GB is just about right..

AReality said:
Just upgrade your desktop & go Popular get a notebook & pen.
Ever somebody won a competition with 10D as prize, talk also become more cocky.. :think:

using a 17' pb with 2gb ram

its still quite fast

my take is... mac is faster and easier... cos i open like 30 over photos at one go... i tried on a pc before... guess wad.. it hanged !!! diaozzz... but anw for graphics 17' if not don buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.