My hardware...

IBM Z Pro 9228 Intellistation
single Xeon 5140 cpu
7 gb RAM
1 tb HDD
Quadro 128 mb NVS 285 graphic card
Samsung DVD
Samsung DVD/RW

While doing a clean windows 7 Pro 64bit installation, power surged in the kitchen caused electrical power to tripped for a couple of times that made me re-run windows re-installation.

After successful installation, the system would re-boots itself whenever i try running a simple music playback. It would also re-boots itself whenever i try to run multiple tasks eg opening multiple windows. On occasions, it re-boots and would not power up.

It would not power up again when i shut it down and i had to pull the power cable and wait for a couple of hours before i am able to power it up again.

POST showed no problem with hardware.
I ran system diagnostics but none of the on-board LED showed me location of problem.

I trawled through the system diagnostics and the web but could not find a definite answer.

Hopefully someone familiar with this unit willing to share.
I use it mainly for batch post processing of digital photographs.

Cant find from your profile if your location is in Singapore but I shall assume that. Cant suggest you a technical solution as I am still happily using Windows XP.
In case if you are not aware, please post at vr-zone forum as well. The members there are more into this, as you may not have answer here because this is a photography forum. Good luck.

By the way if I were you I would upgrade the OS on new hardisk if I am buying one too.
This way I can always make my old hardisk primary and reboot from there, in case there is something wrong with new installation (also can very quickly go back).
Not sure if this is a viable option - in case you have multiple boot enabled - try booting to XP and see if you face same issue. This is to rule out Hardware issue, since the powersurge is during installation. (Now you make me wonder what was done in your kitchen as you said "power surged in the kitchen caused electrical power to tripped for a couple of times").

Are there any events in the system event log?

power surged in the kitchen caused electrical power to tripped for a couple of times

In this scenario, my view is that, it can be simple i.e. PSU is unstable and on it's way out or a certain bank of memory is affected.
First start, get power surge protection or a UPS before other equipment gets affected.

If your music playback from the DVD drive?

power surged in the kitchen caused electrical power to tripped for a couple of times

In this scenario, my view is that, it can be simple i.e. PSU is unstable and on it's way out or a certain bank of memory is affected.
First start, get power surge protection or a UPS before other equipment gets affected.

If your music playback from the DVD drive?

You might wanna go to a more professional site than clubsnap. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/

I had similar problems. Sometimes it crashes (gives me BSOD), restarts by itself etc. But then i realize i had overclocked my RAM (using 32bit but slot in 4, 2gb RAM cards). So try removing your RAM and put only 4GB to try it out.

I noticed your graphics card is outdated for a Windows 7 PRO 64-bit. The video memory is only 128mb. I've done some googling and found out that it doesn't support windows 7. Only supported up to windows XP. You can find more information here http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12312_na/12312_na.HTML

Another theory i have to add. Check your Power Supply Unit. It might be too low to handle the massive power of the 64-bit OS. You can open up your casing, check the PSU sticker at the side and see. From my mere experience, 450W is the minimum for what you're doing.

EDIT: If the problem really lies on the graphics card, change it. If you like the Quadro series, consider looking at the Quadro 600. ($499 SGD) http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-quadro-600-us.html

Last edited:
It would not power up again when i shut it down and i had to pull the power cable and wait for a couple of hours before i am able to power it up again.

Sound like the most likelyhood is Your PSU ...... I got the similar prob on my old monitor. It is exactly the same as your prob u described. I bought a new PSU plug and solved all my problem. In your case, you might probably want to check your PC PSU.

Sound like the most likelyhood is Your PSU ...... I got the similar prob on my old monitor. It is exactly the same as your prob u described. I bought a new PSU plug and solved all my problem. In your case, you might probably want to check your PC PSU.

Does this mean that the power surge may have fried the power supply unit and damaged beyond repair.

If not hardware failure, try cleaning your registry.

Last edited:
Can maybe try using another PSU? Can you smell any burning coming from the PSU? Is it under warranty?

It could also be an overheating problem. I encountered one before when the CPU heatsink was not installed properly. In your case, you might want to check if any fan (especially the CPU fan) is not working anymore - could have been fired when there was a power trip.