PC always hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia

Oct 2, 2005
My PC ( 3G CPU, 1 G memory) always hang right after loging on Window XP, Ctrl-Alt-Del to task manager, to check process, find system idle process ( user: system) is taking up 50% of CPU usage, what's wrong with my PC, virus? spyware? Any one can help me? Thanks

Nowadays, if your PC behaves erratically, can almost bet it's due to virus/trojan horse/spyware. Recently my PC takes verrryyy lonng to shut down. Sometimes, it can't even shut down. Ran a full system scan with Norton Internet Security, and sure enough, it was due to trojan horse.

Try to scan your system, then see how?

Sounds like a possible case of Spyware and/or Virus. In the case of Spyware, personally, I use Spyware Doctor but there is a free version of anti-spyware software call Spybot you can download. Commercially, there are complex software solutions.

http://www.spybot.com/en/spybotsd/index.html

Both spyware and virus can drain resources and run unknown services which can be seen from task mgr. Spyware can now be installed through Web browsing of Active Content webpages (ie. web pages running ActiveX, VB Script or Java).

Give it a Kick .. It Always Help .. :)
If not .. format the window. :)

Highly likely due to spyware. Do note that once spyware gets in, it's pretty hard to get rid of all of them as most 3rd party spyware removal includes spyware in it's installation files itself :sweat: Unless you go with the more mainstream brands like mcafee, norton etc.

A)
- Get a AVG from www.free.grisoft.com
- See if can remove the virus or spyware.

B) (if A fails)
- If cannot , back up all your data and profiles
- Either format or live with it. (unless you know how to tweak with the registery which may / may not help)

It could be a virus of course. Assuming there is nothing wrong software wise, here's another solution...

In my case, my problem last time was due to the power supply(you know, the 350W or 400W black box inside the PC). When you buy the generic computer cases with a built in power supply, sometimes the indeterminate power supply(due to poorer quality power supply boxes) will cause the computer to hang. The simple solution is just to go to a good computer store and ask for a reliable power supply to replace your existing one.

So many reasons....
Flaky RAM, bad powersupply, some scumware....

Can you boot to safe mode? If you can, install and run Ad-Aware

Also, like stated bydreamerz, go get HijackThis

You can post the HijackThis log on most computer tech forums, they are people there who will tell you what you should remove. Do not clean stuff by yourself off your computer if you have no idea what you are doing.

try avast anti-virus.. the home edition is free... have been working well on my 3 comps. :thumbsup:
not the best, but it is real good for the price (FOC)

Thanks for the Info.

Open your PC and run.
Check out whether any of the important fans is not working, esp. CPU fan.
If it's not, change it. Just unscrew and bring it to any neighbourhood PC shop.
If physical's fine, Might be software or even virus.
Just a speculation.
Hope it helps.

For anti-virus...if you dun intend to download stuff, can do an online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/.

For spyware, i usually use ad-aware. It serves me quite well so far. Simple and easy to use.

A problem with Windows is due to it's registry. Many times either user do not un-install programs properly or program un-installation does not remove all the registry values it creates. In the end..the registry becomes bloated and it loads all the non-essential stuff to run. This can cause slowness in PC too. It is actually recommended that u reformat and re-install windows once every 6 months or there-abouts in order to clear the junk from the registry.

Alternatively...get a MAC.

Its likely due to some spyware or 'illegal' executables that are loaded during startup. They usually won't be caught by anti virus applications or may be missed by anti spyware applications.

For me, I disable them manually.
- Go to Start -> Run. Then type in "msconfig".
- A dialog box opens.
- Go to the tab called "Startup". Here you see a list of applications that load up on its own when your Windows starts up.
- Look at the name or path of the file. This will give some indication if its legitamate or not. -- Take note of wierd sounding .exe files.
- Uncheck those that you don't need.
- Reboot your PC.
- Once windows is restarted, you will be asked to confirm to accept the new config.

This works for me. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.