PBase, Multiply, Flickr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmas

Feb 8, 2006
PBase.com, Multiply.com, Flickr.com, or ??

There are many online media storage site available.. anyone using them? I'm hoping to join 1 of them and realised some can be free but some need to pay. For instance, need to pay using PBase, but for Multiply, it is an option to pay. PBase appears to have nicer and more user friendly interface. But again, Multiply seems to have more capabilities, such as can upload videos etc.

Besides the above, anymore major differences in them? Stability, storage capabilities, flexibility or even user friendliness, etc?

Sincerely appreciate any genuine comments and recommendations from all.. thanks in advance :)

flickr is free, and theoretically has unlimited hosting, just that you have to remember your image links

a good solution that i have found is that i get a private blog, i have a free flickr account, and i add tags to my blog posts so that i can search for the correct picture i want, even after it has disappeared into the "200 allowed", if you get what i mean.. of course this is if you only want to HOST the image. otherwise if you wish to use it as a showcase, etc.. then you'd have to pay for flickr as well

i also have pbase, love it. it is a very good presentation of your works, if you wish to display them for friends, people, acquaintances.. userfriendly and pretty reliable. only trouble is that it is expensive in some sense since it limits the amount of storage space you get. hence i have to only upload small file sizes (small pictures, relatively).. and no way to use it as "online storage" as a safeguard, unless you have a lot of cash to splash around

not sure about multiply, but personally while i have not use it i have seen that the formatting is messy for most sites.. there are some which seem to be more tidy, no idea how it is done.

for userfriendliness and learning curve i suspect you will not find something easier than flickr. the trouble with flickr is the presentation and the negative connotations that most people in photography would attach to it, possibly anyhow.. but a lot of people browse flickr, hurhur

flickr is free, and theoretically has unlimited hosting, just that you have to remember your image links

a good solution that i have found is that i get a private blog, i have a free flickr account, and i add tags to my blog posts so that i can search for the correct picture i want, even after it has disappeared into the "200 allowed", if you get what i mean.. of course this is if you only want to HOST the image. otherwise if you wish to use it as a showcase, etc.. then you'd have to pay for flickr as well

i also have pbase, love it. it is a very good presentation of your works, if you wish to display them for friends, people, acquaintances.. userfriendly and pretty reliable. only trouble is that it is expensive in some sense since it limits the amount of storage space you get. hence i have to only upload small file sizes (small pictures, relatively).. and no way to use it as "online storage" as a safeguard, unless you have a lot of cash to splash around

not sure about multiply, but personally while i have not use it i have seen that the formatting is messy for most sites.. there are some which seem to be more tidy, no idea how it is done.

for userfriendliness and learning curve i suspect you will not find something easier than flickr. the trouble with flickr is the presentation and the negative connotations that most people in photography would attach to it, possibly anyhow.. but a lot of people browse flickr, hurhur
i thought that it doesn't matter, becos once a free website reached its critical mass, it will start to charge. PBASE used to be free .....

Thanks for your comment night86mare.. visited your PBase site, very nice. Especially the Singapore Sunsets photos.. :thumbsup:

PBase interface is nice.. do you know if they have any plan for video uploading capability?

can consider smugmug.
U need to pay, but it's darn convenient, unlimited upload, but limited traffic of a few GB (more than enough for hobbyists)

if you organise your photo by "per outing", multiply suits it very well, but on the other hand if you like to group them in genre, doing in multiply is possible but extremely hectic...

it can be consider a sort of blog with built-in photo/video/music sharing (not hot-link tho), and you get to use different themes or even customise your own. but it does requires you some knowledge of html/css to actually customise it, alternative there is also a customize theme where you can get some of the template to use.

best part is, it offer unlimited bandwidth and file size/pixel and photos... i seen some user having more than 200albums...

Try photobucket, so far, so good ... :thumbsup::lovegrin:

pbase gallery interface is more straightforward for me, though the uploading interface takes abit of getting use to. i've used zoto, flickr and pbase, chose pbase in the end. i use photobucket only for hotlinking to CS, and kept that account private.

i thought that it doesn't matter, becos once a free website reached its critical mass, it will start to charge. PBASE used to be free .....

nope, not like that

flickr is unlimited, i still can access my photos from donkey years ago

the only difference between paying on flickr and not paying on flickr is that you cannot see your photos past the last 200 uploaded. but they are still there. it's amazing

Thanks for your comment night86mare.. visited your PBase site, very nice. Especially the Singapore Sunsets photos.. :thumbsup:

PBase interface is nice.. do you know if they have any plan for video uploading capability?
glad you like them

video uploading, i doubt so, as of now based on my occasional browsing it seems like they are more focused on photography

why not keep your video/photography separate?

or you can eventually get your own site, that works too, and gives you the largest freedom and the most work :)

glad you like them

video uploading, i doubt so, as of now based on my occasional browsing it seems like they are more focused on photography

why not keep your video/photography separate?

or you can eventually get your own site, that works too, and gives you the largest freedom and the most work :)
Create own site? ehh.... dare not really think of it, should be quite a challenge to do that ;)

PBase seems to be a more popular one, maybe 'cos of its nicer interfaces and user friendliness.. hope they will provide video uploading one day :)

Create own site? ehh.... dare not really think of it, should be quite a challenge to do that ;)

PBase seems to be a more popular one, maybe 'cos of its nicer interfaces and user friendliness.. hope they will provide video uploading one day :)

Creating your own site isn't as difficult as you might think. If you want a custom made site, well, I guess it would cost or it would take a lot of time and effort.

However, there are a lot of free galleries available such as singapore, phpalbum, coppermine. You just have to follow the instructions on how to set them up.

I have tried both pbase and multiply, and I feel that multiply suits my needs the most cos I put my casual shots there, so they are uploaded by album, not genre. That's the limitation of multiply. You can't have multiple levels like folders on your computer.

If you want your site to serve as a portfolio of sorts, I would recommend pbase so you can classify your albums.
You could also just try out the free ones like multiply and flickr to see if it suits you. They're free anyway... :)

used to have to pay for mulitply but now its free. no restrictions on photo sizes and quantity. only restriction is if you dont order prints within 6 months they may reduce the size of the photo to save space...even then its slightly smaller than 640x480...not too bad.

downside is it can be damn slow sometimes....

i'll go with photobucket and flickr. both are with paying options for a PRO account.

both allow multiple file uploads. but photobucket can be slow at times. n flickr auto changed my colour space from SRGB. not sure if photobucket does the same..

used to have to pay for mulitply but now its free. no restrictions on photo sizes and quantity. only restriction is if you dont order prints within 6 months they may reduce the size of the photo to save space...even then its slightly smaller than 640x480...not too bad.

downside is it can be damn slow sometimes....
true that multiply can be really slow sometimes, but then almost all website experience this once in a while. :bsmilie:

Multiply is easy for sharing of pictures, also you can make albums private and only allow selected users to view.

However, it does not enable you to have sub-albums or sub-sub-albums which sometimes makes organisation of the pictures rather messy. Also, it is quite unstable IMHO... However, it makes a good secondary portfolio website.

I don't use Multiply. Especially after viewing some albums. The organisation is, on the whole, pretty messy. One more thing is it seems pretty buggy sometimes, photos in certain sets/albums sometimes don't load when you click on them. Instead, only a blank template is shown. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the site or the user's settings though.

Status
Not open for further replies.