PB & Friends at Harbour City Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychobiologist

Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, GA
terrible lighting condition, all shot using ambient light (whatever slivers of light that is present)

8605ced8.jpg

85ea7068.jpg

e75d5f56.jpg

c2389364.jpg

4f67ca67.jpg

32964da0.jpg

aa3f9a96.jpg

c08368c8.jpg

due to a few pairs of rapid chopsticks attacking the food.. was unable to style the food.. (not that i'm particularly good at it unless dream merchant is willing to share some ways to go about it)

Hahaha! I eesh not de expert lah!

Considering the horrid lighting, or lack of any decent lighting you mentioned, you did quite well!

The problem with using food prepared at a restaurant is that the food is prepared to Taste, and often, Look good, but food prepared that way usually does not PHOTOGRAPH well. The exception are well-presented fine Japanese dishes (especially 'cold' dishes) and any other (usually fine-dining) cuisines that are super fresh, and platted so well, they might also photograph quite nicely, after some slight adjustments.

In other circumstances, the best you can do at a dinner (and just about incur the wrath of your companions) is 'tidy' up the dish and arrange the ingredients so that they photograph better. Standard still life 'crisis tactics' apply.

Or, do what I do in such circumstances - put camera aside, pull all the dishes close to me ... and EAT! :bsmilie:

BTW, was it unlimited ala-carte buffet or a set 'range' you chose from, and was it nice/how much did it cost? Many of the servings look really small.

Last edited:
Yummy! Delicious looking shots. Can see the lighting problem causing you to shoot wide open hence depth of field is not ideal for some shots. Still, at least the pictures are sharp. Did you consider using a small table tripod to allow you to stop down the aperture a bit more?

Hahaha! I eesh not de expert lah!

Considering the horrid lighting, or lack of any decent lighting you mentioned, you did quite well!

The problem with using food prepared at a restaurant is that the food is prepared to Taste, and often, Look good, but food prepared that way usually does not PHOTOGRAPH well. The exception are well-presented fine Japanese dishes (especially 'cold' dishes) and any other (usually fine-dining) cuisines that are super fresh, and platted so well, they might also photograph quite nicely, after some slight adjustments.

In other circumstances, the best you can do at a dinner (and just about incur the wrath of your companions) is 'tidy' up the dish and arrange the ingredients so that they photograph better. Standard still life 'crisis tactics' apply.

Or, do what I do in such circumstances - put camera aside, pull all the dishes close to me ... and EAT! :bsmilie:

BTW, was it unlimited ala-carte buffet or a set 'range' you chose from, and was it nice/how much did it cost? Many of the servings look really small.

unlimited ala-carte buffet
erm.. could have been better but its not too bad.

1) deep fried fish.. this is decent
2) the longevity buns!!! its the lotus seed paste that goes into their mooncakes!!
3) pepper crab is not too bad, but small dah the crab.. not enough.. plus 1 serving only
4) salt chilli prawn is good! but they must really fry it hot when come out is.. dam nice.. hardens when cold.. which is no good
5) prawn paste chicken is not too bad.. but the li dunno what yuan restaurant at tiong bahru plaza whips out one of the best prawn paste chicken in sg
6) sliced fish is good!

the stuff that are.. er.. ok only..
1) bacon roll.. bacon not that fresh.. having been to the US.. the States really set the standard for fresh bacon.. and the different cuts..
2) black pepper beef.. ok lah.. normal
3) charsiew.. not up to my expectation.. maybe cuz i felt some hawkers do it better..
4) luohan vege this one actually cannot complain too much.. is simple dish.. but i think its ok
5) peking duck is ok, but is more like roast duck..
6) prawn roll.. squishy squishy.. not as exotic as i thought it to be
7) sharks fin is typical stuff.. but quite starchy..
8) sanbei chicken is.. erm.. supposedly a good taiwanese dish.. tasted in taiwanese restaurant before.. but this one.. a bit too salty and over marinated
9) steamed fish.. has an earthy taste.. is fresh water bass.. dun rikes.. (but at this price how to have good fish?)
10) xo-fried kwayteow is.. too oily! but has a fragrance.

unlimited ala-carte buffet
erm.. could have been better but its not too bad.

1) deep fried fish.. this is decent
2) the longevity buns!!! its the lotus seed paste that goes into their mooncakes!!
3) pepper crab is not too bad, but small dah the crab.. not enough.. plus 1 serving only
4) salt chilli prawn is good! but they must really fry it hot when come out is.. dam nice.. hardens when cold.. which is no good
5) prawn paste chicken is not too bad.. but the li dunno what yuan restaurant at tiong bahru plaza whips out one of the best prawn paste chicken in sg
6) sliced fish is good!

the stuff that are.. er.. ok only..
1) bacon roll.. bacon not that fresh.. having been to the US.. the States really set the standard for fresh bacon.. and the different cuts..
2) black pepper beef.. ok lah.. normal
3) charsiew.. not up to my expectation.. maybe cuz i felt some hawkers do it better..
4) luohan vege this one actually cannot complain too much.. is simple dish.. but i think its ok
5) peking duck is ok, but is more like roast duck..
6) prawn roll.. squishy squishy.. not as exotic as i thought it to be
7) sharks fin is typical stuff.. but quite starchy..
8) sanbei chicken is.. erm.. supposedly a good taiwanese dish.. tasted in taiwanese restaurant before.. but this one.. a bit too salty and over marinated
9) steamed fish.. has an earthy taste.. is fresh water bass.. dun rikes.. (but at this price how to have good fish?)
10) xo-fried kwayteow is.. too oily! but has a fragrance.

WOW! PB! Thanks for taking the time and effort to share that detailed and comprehensive review! :bigeyes:

Appreciate it man! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.