Paypal questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey guys. Got some questions.

Are we able to transfer money from OCBC bank into Paypal, then purchase something from online?

Also, how's the exchange rate for SG to US in Paypal?

Cheers,
Zexun

Are we able to transfer money from OCBC bank into Paypal, then purchase something from online?

Cheers,
Zexun

you can link up your account to paypal and just purchase online. It will deduct from your bank accordingly based on its exchange rate which can be determined at its website

Cheers,
Zexun

you can link credit card

i think paypal can convert into the currency you want for you, or you can choose it to be set by your bank.

Use Paypal with some caution... they have little or no dispute resolution, buyers are at risk.

../azul123

Had done a few transactions with Paypal, so far so good. There are always risk in transaction via internet.

No risk no gain :D

alright thanks, the second question's done. Can i link up paypal to ocbc and then get charge the purchase to ocbc without a credit / debit card? Basically, bank transfer.

alright thanks, the second question's done. Can i link up paypal to ocbc and then get charge the purchase to ocbc without a credit / debit card? Basically, bank transfer.

Link up directly to a bank? I don't think it's available in SG.

What I usually do is find someone who sells Paypal funds. I'll bank transfer to the person the amount I need after agreeing on the exchange rate, then he/she'll transfer the amount in USD to my Paypal account. Of course, you'll have to do some research and find a reliable seller to do that.

No.1: Some banks don't allow transfers to Paypal... I read it before, it's somewhere in the guidelines.

No. 2: I've heard bad things about Paypal. Link only your card, don't link your bank account, cause it gives them free reign over your money.

No. 3: From what I've read, Paypal protection is only most effective in Ebay. If you're transacting normally (even if it's through goods/service), people have had a hard time getting their money back, even though they are suppose to be covered... Most just end up getting the credit card company to cover for the losses.

Just fyi :)

yes, paypal offers most protection if done over ebay. it's essentially a payment platform for the auctions. otherwise, it's only useful as a tool to transfer money to reliable sellers.

and yes, link paypal to your credit card, and not bank account if you are a seller. otherwise, paypal can unilaterally withdraw the funds if the buyer files a dispute, and you wont see your money until you jump through countless hoops.

If you don't have a credit card, you can also use your debit card. Go apply for one, it's more convenient.

Paypal calculates the exchange rate when you pay for your purchases.

I do use Paypal quite often, feel free to ask if you have furthur questions:)

So how would I get a camera from a user in the US?

If I send the money via paypal first, how do I know he shipped? If he shipped the camera, how does he know I will send the money?

If I send the money via paypal first, how do I know he shipped? If he shipped the camera, how does he know I will send the money?

ask for tracked delivery.

most sellers will not ship until they receive money. simple.

I think ALL sellers will not ship until they receive money. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

it depends.. sometimes if you have sufficient reason and they're nice/stupid enough they can rush out the order for you.

in this modern day and age with paypal though.. that isn't really going to happen much. :p

this is a very complex issue of which there is no well documented policy.
The safest way is both seller and buyer meet up - seller with the good and buyer with the cash. Usually I go with another person as witness.

you are risking it then. he can ship you an empty box and still furnish the tracking :p

Tracking doesn't mean anything, cause IF the seller isn't honest, they can just place something else into the package.

The safest option is still to go through ebay, get the buyer to set a BNP, and let you know that the listing is there, so that you can buy straight away. At least you'll be covered there. Also, ask the guy whether he has any feedback in any photo forums (Fred Miranda if possible)... that should be a good judge of his character and whether he is honest. I like Fred Miranda, they have a very good feedback system, and most of the guys there are friendly and honest. (Partly cause they've to pay subscription fees to sell items)

I think ALL sellers will not ship until they receive money. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Not really... I bought a lens from a guy, paid him with paypal echeck, which won't get cleared until a few days later. He saw my good feedback and decided I'm a nice guy, so he shipped the lens on the day I told him I want to buy the lens from him. Very nice guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.