Paypal monopoly on Ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Guys/gals,
I just won a few items that cost from few dollars to less than $15 dollars. And realised I can only pay with paypal..... :eek:

Is it true? Can't even imagined paying few dollars using paypal....... :confused:

Paypal is the easiest way to pay for Ebay items, esp for your few dollar items. You want to buy bank draft meh? :p

The "is it true" bit depends on the seller. Some sellers accept paypal only, some accept other methods of payment also. Usually the big sellers will say on the listing what type of payment methods they accept.

And well, I can think of plenty of reasons not to use paypal, but still, if it's a few dollars only, the risk is probably very small.

Haizz, I am so used to paying seller via internet banking(direct transfer) mah. :rolleyes:

Well, the issue here is that we should be able to select our or the seller own method of payment right? Anyway, buying more expensive lens or camera. I always pick up the item myself. Too many bad encounter with fungus/marks/scratches on lens liao.

Now left with only paypal or pick up....... Not monopoly meh :thumbsd:

Even one of the seller was surprised that only paypal was the only available mean to pay him/her. Go figure!

Haizz, I am so used to paying seller via internet banking(direct transfer) mah. :rolleyes:

Well, the issue here is that we should be able to select our or the seller own method of payment right? Anyway, buying more expensive lens or camera. I always pick up the item myself. Too many bad encounter with fungus/marks/scratches on lens liao.

Now left with only paypal or pick up....... Not monopoly meh :thumbsd:

Even one of the seller was surprised that only paypal was the only available mean to pay him/her. Go figure!

Chill bro :)

I believe ebay does allow buyers/sellers preferred mode of payment. You can even settle it off ebay, so I don't believe there's any monopoly of any sorts. Just contact the seller through ebay, and asked for other modes of contact so that you can arrange for alternative modes of payment. I buy from ebay very regularly. I would be extra careful is seller claims that Paypal is the only method of receiving payment. There are definitely multiple payment modes available, including some custom ones like "contact seller for payment information" or the likes.

I was only ever frauded once in my decade of internet purchase, and that is when the seller insists he does not want to use Paypal. Paypal can assist both the buyer and seller to file a dispute which is very effective. By being very effective, I mean a whole world of difference when you approach ebay to help in disputes or fraud cases, in which the support is next to non-existent (paying only lip service).

I'm definitely not a Paypal advocate. I hated them when they first started out too. Lots of policy and administrative restrictions. But was 'forced' to use them when most sellers choose Paypal as the mode of payment. However, I change my opinion of them when they were so swift to act on my behalf when I raised a dispute.

Ebay owns Paypal. It was only 2 or so months ago where they turned it into "paypal only". They got a lot of negative feedback on it; but what to do? Unless everyone switches to yahoo auctions, ebay will stay the 800-lbs gorilla.

Isn't paypal a lot safer compared to other vehicles of payment such as western union and bank drafts?

You should NEVER pay by those methods anyway.

Paypal is good, when got dispute, they'll actually do something about it.

I believe you can pay via other methods, but paypal is the 'default'.

for oversea.. paypal still the best.
able to track when thing went wrong.

Internet banking.. what if the seller, receive ur cash and didn't deliver

for oversea.. paypal still the best.
able to track when thing went wrong.

Internet banking.. what if the seller, receive ur cash and didn't deliver

I agreed that paypal maybe the best method of secured transaction. But I also think that as a consumer, he/she should be able to have choices.

FYI, I never use internet banking for any purchase above Aud$50. Most of the purchases are few dollars to max of $20 on books, memorabilia... So far, I yet to have a seller who failed to send me the item. Honestly, if that guy want to cheat a few dollars on Ebay. So be it :flush:

Paypal is good, when got dispute, they'll actually do something about it.

But don't put too much faith in it... I got mixed results.
First time I got a dispute, I won because the seller totally didn't reply.
2nd time round, recently, I lost (a S$120+ purchase) because "they couldn't confirm the delivery of my return parcel to seller" and case closed without asking my opinion (eg. I could have gotten more tracking data from Singpost for registered parcels). If only I could show them my email correspondence with that seller, damned shady person - every other mail pester you to cancel the dispute case.

But don't put too much faith in it... I got mixed results.
First time I got a dispute, I won because the seller totally didn't reply.
2nd time round, recently, I lost (a S$120+ purchase) because "they couldn't confirm the delivery of my return parcel to seller" and case closed without asking my opinion (eg. I could have gotten more tracking data from Singpost for registered parcels). If only I could show them my email correspondence with that seller, damned shady person - every other mail pester you to cancel the dispute case.

Yes, but they still did something about it. And the seller was at least pressurized to resolve it with you. When I was defrauded using non-paypal method, cc company gave me standard answers while ebay support personnel copied and pasted useless policies, while closing the case without me having the chance to even leave a negative feedback.

Finally :bsmilie:

Ebay's payment changes halted

June 12, 2008 09:35pm

AUCTION website eBay must freeze controversial plans to simplify payment options for buyers and sellers until the consumer watchdog determines whether the move is anti-competitive.
The US-based website estimates it has about five million Australian users and contributes $2.6 billion to the domestic economy.

The online auction site announced in April that from June 17 it would no longer allow direct deposits, money orders or personal cheques as payment options.

The controversial change would leave buyers and sellers with two options: cash-on-delivery or payment via the online commerce website Paypal, which is owned by eBay.

The management of eBay has said the changes were aimed at improving transaction security.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has since kicked off an investigation and taken submissions on the possible effects of the proposed change.

"The ACCC acknowledges that having Paypal as the only payment provider has the potential to deliver some benefits to users, such as increased buyer protection insurance in certain circumstances," ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said in a statement.

"However, the ACCC believes that consumers are in the best position to decide which payment method is most suitable for them."

Mr Samuel has issued notice to eBay to temporarily halt its plans to shift to the new arrangement next Tuesday, saying it could give Paypal an unfair advantage over competitors.

"Given eBay's position as Australia's leading online marketplace, the notified conduct will substantially reduce competition to supply online payment services..." he said.

"In light of serious competition concerns raised in the draft notice and the significant concerns raised by interested parties, I have asked eBay to delay implementation ... until a final decision is made by the ACCC."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23855480-5005961,00.html

who cares whether it is a monopoly as long as you are protected
that is the really important thing
eBay buying is not a basic life necessity, you can live without it
so whether paypal in eBay is monopoly is not important

who cares whether it is a monopoly as long as you are protected
that is the really important thing
eBay buying is not a basic life necessity, you can live without it
so whether paypal in eBay is monopoly is not important

:) I agree on the protection part........But

You also want to have the choice to choose between

Durex
LifeStyles
Trojan
Kimono
Beyond Seven
Pleasure Plus
Night Light
Inspiral

Right ? :devil:

just wondering here, dont mind OT

i tried withdrawing a small sum but it got rejected which i am not sure of and i was charged $9.

what could be the reason? my account was a valid one :dunno::think:

Status
Not open for further replies.