Pavilion at MacRitchie Reservior

cityhunter66

Deregistered
May 5, 2010
4651616465_cc42a9821b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition, exposure level

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To take better landscape shots

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

It was taken while taking shelter in a pavilion from a slight drizzle, it was around 7 plus in the evening. Had a tripod with me and a bit of time so decided to take a landscape shot. Settings are 30 sec shuttle speed, iso 100 and an aperture of 5.6.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Would have been better if there wasn't the construction around the pavilion...

Last edited:
i think the Pavillion is squeezed a little too much to the left of the image... it needs a little bit more room IMHO

your challenge is managing those lights lining the path

want to think about a bit of a longer exposure to brighten up the elements a little more ?

try posting a little larger image (800-1000 pixels on long side) for a better look-see at your image?

good luck! :thumbsup:

7.00 pm shot looks like 9.00 pm to me, base on the tone of the sky, but could be due to the rain.

for landscape by nite and with a tripod, should go for f/11 or even f/16.

there isn't much to show here, whole picture reflects a feel of gloomy.

try another time when a hot afternoon appears, so that the evening sky will give some reflectance to the roof and water.

unless you are an experience guy who might use the HDR approach.

If I am not wrong, the place you are standing on actually is made of floorboards that move when people walk past, correct? Thus putting a tripod there may still result in slight shakes. Same as ed9119, I feel there's not enough breathing space for the pavilion (I didn't feel the two lamp posts on the right justifies leaving them in to squeeze the pavilion).

How come 7pm plus, the pavilion is not lighted up one arh? :think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50254273@N07/4732801382/in/photostream/

Hi ed9119, here's the link to the bigger original un-cropped picture.

@ wildcat: i'm trying to apply the rule of thirds, is it inappropriate to do so for landscape shots? No, i recall the pavilion we were in had concrete floor...only the bench was wooden. Not sure why it's not lighted up, could be due to construction works.

@cabbyShe: Why need to use f/11 or 16? You're right, i do feel quite gloomy stuck in the pavilion...

Apologies for the late reply, was overseas.

a lil too under exposed to me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50254273@N07/4732801382/in/photostream/

Hi ed9119, here's the link to the bigger original un-cropped picture.

@ wildcat: i'm trying to apply the rule of thirds, is it inappropriate to do so for landscape shots? No, i recall the pavilion we were in had concrete floor...only the bench was wooden. Not sure why it's not lighted up, could be due to construction works.

@cabbyShe: Why need to use f/11 or 16? You're right, i do feel quite gloomy stuck in the pavilion...

Apologies for the late reply, was overseas.

Rules of a third applies, but you also need to balance the picture based on your own judgement. For me, even if the pavilion moved to the right of the pic by 1 or 2cm (hope our monitors same size.. haha), it's still pretty much following the rules of third yet allowing a bit more breathing space for it.

Basically the rules of third means you don't put the pavilion dead center with the pointed tip in the middle of the photo (... you could, if you had something extra on the left of the pavilion thus the focus is still pretty much on the third left of the pic).

Hope that helps.

I had a look at the original pic also, and figured that you took the pic on the horizon line to prevent perspective distortions on the pavilion, then cropped the bottom off... which also pretty much leaves you with less room to maneuver above the pavilion also. No right or wrong, and it's respectable to keep all the lines straight but don't compromise your composition for technicality sake. ;)

(of course, if you had done that, there will be a group of us telling you to keep your lines straight... hahaha)

Last edited:
A problem which can be solved if i apply rule of wide-angle-lens? Haha...thanks for your CnC :thumbsup:

Rules of a third applies, but you also need to balance the picture based on your own judgement. For me, even if the pavilion moved to the right of the pic by 1 or 2cm (hope our monitors same size.. haha), it's still pretty much following the rules of third yet allowing a bit more breathing space for it.

Basically the rules of third means you don't put the pavilion dead center with the pointed tip in the middle of the photo (... you could, if you had something extra on the left of the pavilion thus the focus is still pretty much on the third left of the pic).

Hope that helps.

I had a look at the original pic also, and figured that you took the pic on the horizon line to prevent perspective distortions on the pavilion, then cropped the bottom off... which also pretty much leaves you with less room to maneuver above the pavilion also. No right or wrong, and it's respectable to keep all the lines straight but don't compromise your composition for technicality sake. ;)

(of course, if you had done that, there will be a group of us telling you to keep your lines straight... hahaha)

Step back or go wider. Your idea of framing is there. Use a longer exposure and go lower (angle).

Step back or go wider. Your idea of framing is there. Use a longer exposure and go lower (angle).

Step back cannot, it was raining. Longer exposure i can do, but may i know what does it do for the picture?

Hmm can i ask what is the topic you want to portray, because it looks a little plain (to me)? Will it be better if it is a little brighter? Sorry ah, newbie here. Hahaha :bsmilie:

Hmm can i ask what is the topic you want to portray, because it looks a little plain (to me)? Will it be better if it is a little brighter? Sorry ah, newbie here. Hahaha :bsmilie:

The subject is a pavilion as stated...i don't think it's very rich in composition either. :embrass: Not sure what you meant by "better if it is a little brighter"...it doesn't add anything to what i want to portray. :dunno:

The subject is a pavilion as stated...i don't think it's very rich in composition either. :embrass: Not sure what you meant by "better if it is a little brighter"...it doesn't add anything to what i want to portray. :dunno:

Hmmm imo because the pavilion isn't standing out so it's like the topic's blurred? It could just be myself, but that's how i see. Another thing is the pic is a little under exposed so it can be better if there's more contrast too.;p

Hmmm imo because the pavilion isn't standing out so it's like the topic's blurred? It could just be myself, but that's how i see. Another thing is the pic is a little under exposed so it can be better if there's more contrast too.;p

Ya, agreed that the pavilion's not exactly outstanding. Though there isn't really anything else that could vaguely be the subject so i beg to differ that the topic is blurred. Not interesting yes, blurred not really. Sorry, i don't really like to artificially saturate the colors too much. Thanks for your suggestion though.

How did you tell that it's underexposed? Remember it's supposed to be night time. I have a separate comment telling me it's overexposed, so i just want to hear how you came to your conclusion.

Ya, agreed that the pavilion's not exactly outstanding. Though there isn't really anything else that could vaguely be the subject so i beg to differ that the topic is blurred. Not interesting yes, blurred not really. Sorry, i don't really like to artificially saturate the colors too much. Thanks for your suggestion though.

How did you tell that it's underexposed? Remember it's supposed to be night time. I have a separate comment telling me it's overexposed, so i just want to hear how you came to your conclusion.

Hey hey, no need to flare up. HAHA! Rmb? I'm a newbie?:bsmilie:
Everyone have got their own views, so if that is how you view your piece then that shall be that. :thumbsup:

Huh?? Flare up? Seriously, i was just asking you how you came to that conclusion...which part sounds like i'm angry?
I thanked you for the suggestion right?

Huh?? Flare up? Seriously, i was just asking you how you came to that conclusion...which part sounds like i'm angry?
I thanked you for the suggestion right?

Hahaha ok ok. But that's how i feel? I don't know, but i bet you know sometimes you can't put feelings into words? HAHA! Ok ok i think my words won't help anymore. :bsmilie:

Hahaha ok ok. But that's how i feel? I don't know, but i bet you know sometimes you can't put feelings into words? HAHA! Ok ok i think my words won't help anymore. :bsmilie:

Ok, i don't have a habit of putting smileys into every posts but i'm not angry. Just want to know if it's a technical issue or just personal opinion. If it's something technical, i can improve on it, but if personal preferences, sometimes it's just that. Varies with ppl.

Anyway, thank you for your time :thumbsup:

where ar, i can't find it.