Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Liew

Feb 17, 2002
cynics.info
dscn0239.jpg

There is always something I have never seen when I visit the Esplanade. For that matter, when I revisit a place I have been at a different time, there will always be something new to snap.

more of my photos here

Jimmy Liew said:
dscn0239.jpg

There is always something I have never seen when I visit the Esplanade. For that matter, when I revisit a place I have been at a different time, there will always be something new to snap.

more of my photos here

Jimmy,

I like your pictures, and I like the composition of this particular picture.

I am trying to get better myself at composition etc.
So I have been reading up on things like the rule of thirds, the golden mean and the golden spiral.
I have been trying to apply that to your picture to see if there is any 'theoretical' reason why your picture looks nice.

Here are my thoughts. Any comments are welcome.

Richard

Patterns1.jpg

Patterns2.jpg

thanks for that analysis. didn't notice the points you mentioned when i took it but in some ways it make good sense. :)

thanks. learn something new.

korffr said:

Wow!!! :bigeyes:
That's a very cheem analysis man :thumbsup:
I haven't even heard some of the term you mentioned.

Nice Pics Jimmy :thumbsup:
Nice analysis Richard :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jimmy Liew said:
thanks for that analysis. didn't notice the points you mentioned when i took it but in some ways it make good sense. :)

thanks. learn something new.

I was told I am not allow to take any photo by the security guard when I tried to take a photo inside the Esp :( Maybe coz of terrorist.

wow korffr are you a mathematician :sweat: very chimp analysis

Wow! Excellent image by Jimmy and brilliant analysis by Korffr. I've learnt something new today, thanks for sharing guys! Happy shooting ;)

Fred said:
Wow! Excellent image by Jimmy and brilliant analysis by Korffr. I've learnt something new today, thanks for sharing guys! Happy shooting ;)

Thanks guys,

Jimmy, If you did not notice it when you took the shot or when you post-processed/cropped the picture, it could mean you have an 'eye' for it (or maybe you are just lucky ;p).

Since I am also just learning, I wouldn't mind if someone with more experience had a look at it to see if it makes sense or not.

Richard

korffr said:
Thanks guys,

Jimmy, If you did not notice it when you took the shot or when you post-processed/cropped the picture, it could mean you have an 'eye' for it (or maybe you are just lucky ;p).

Since I am also just learning, I wouldn't mind if someone with more experience had a look at it to see if it makes sense or not.

Richard

IMHO, photography might not need such complicated analysis :bigeyes: :bsmilie:
Shoot with feeling and "eye" :D

the golden spira curve..isit the fractals thingy :think:

clive said:
the golden spira curve..isit the fractals thingy :think:

Nope, it's a fibonacci series thingy... :D

Hosea said:
IMHO, photography might not need such complicated anaysis :bigeyes: :bsmilie:
Shoot with feeling and "eye" :D

Hmmm, I partially agree with you.

Yes you must shoot with feeling and have an 'eye' for things. The thing is
that some people may have a better eye for things than others.

I think that you can train your eye to see things in a certain way. I believe
that a large number of good photo's do have some things in common with
regards to composition.

By analysing these picture, you get to know these guidelines, and you may be
able to shoot better pictures.

I do agree with you in the end it all comes down to feeling and passion for
fotography and your subject.

Anyway if anyone is interested to learn more, there are quite a number of
articles on compostition, the golden mean and other things on the following
site : http://photoinf.com/

Richard

korffr said:
Hmmm, I partially agree with you.

Yes you must shoot with feeling and have an 'eye' for things. The thing is
that some people may have a better eye for things than others.

I think that you can train your eye to see things in a certain way. I believe
that a large number of good photo's do have some things in common with
regards to composition.

By analysing these picture, you get to know these guidelines, and you may be
able to shoot better pictures.

I do agree with you in the end it all comes down to feeling and passion for
fotography and your subject.

Anyway if anyone is interested to learn more, there are quite a number of
articles on compostition, the golden mean and other things on the following
site : http://photoinf.com/

Richard

Richard,
Thanks for the good website!
Agree also, besides In-born talent, our "eyes" can be trained and learn through experience.

Btw, do you know when and where the "Rule of third" started and originated from? I am curious. Could it be started from the Artist in the olden day.

I am actually looking forward to see some of outstanding " Out of Rule"
photographs to be posted in CS :think: I think there are.

Photography combines Science with Arts which makes it a little difficult for us coz some photog are good technically with much understanding & grasp of the functions of Camera but lack of Artistic "gene" and vice versa for those that are more artistic.

I tend to think that the science can be learnt.
:bsmilie: :bigeyes: I trying hard on both :bigeyes: :D
Nice discussion!

Hosea said:
Richard,
Thanks for the good website!
Agree also, besides In-born talent, our "eyes" can be trained and learn through experience.

Btw, do you know when and where the "Rule of third" started and originated from? I am curious. Could it be started from the Artist in the olden day.

I am actually looking forward to see some of outstanding " Out of Rule"
photographs to be posted in CS :think: I think there are.

Photography combines Science with Arts which makes it a little difficult for us coz some photog are good technically with much understanding & grasp of the functions of Camera but lack of Artistic "gene" and vice versa for those that are more artistic.

I tend to think that the science can be learnt.
:bsmilie: :bigeyes: I trying hard on both :bigeyes: :D
Nice discussion!

And I would argue that the artistic side can be learned (to a certain degree) as well. By doing a lot of practising, and looking at other good photographs, and understanding why these pictures are considered 'good'.

The rule of thirds is actually a simplification of the Golden Mean. The Golden Mean basically means that you have lines horizontally and vertically at 3/8th and 5/8th of your picture. Since it is not easy to visually divide your picture that way, people have come up with a simplification wich is to divide your picture in 1/3 and 2/3.

With regards to the history of the Golden Mean and ratios :
From one of the articles on the website :

"The Golden Ratio has purportedly been a profound influence since ancient times with Greeks utilizing the Golden Ratio in their buildings such as the Parthenon at the Temple of Athena on the Acropolis. During the Renaissance when European artists rediscovered the styles of the ancient world, the Golden Ratio was utilized for their sculptures and paintings. Leonardo da Vinci being the most prominent Renaissance artist known to have used the Golden Ratio for great works such as the Mona Lisa." (http://photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/Edwin_Leong/Camera_Hobby_-_e-Book_on_the_Golden_Ratio.htm )

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.