Passport Validity Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohgui

Jan 31, 2005
La La Land
what is the reason that you must have at least 6 months of validity before you can travel? can i still travel if i have 4 months left before expiry?

what is the reason that you must have at least 6 months of validity before you can travel? can i still travel if i have 4 months left before expiry?

For the reason, i really dont know. But i think its some "play safe" matter.

You cannot travel if u left 4 months. Go and renew.

It is to ensure that your passport is still valid when you leave the country. Not all countries have this regulation, but most of them do. A lot of airlines will not allow you to board the plane if your passport do not have at least 6 months validity. It is better to renew your passport before departing, to avoid being stopped at the custom of the destination country and need to turn back.

I thought you can just switch to the biometric passport? Won't that save the hassle of renewing?

Don't quote me though, I'm not in SG now :bsmilie:

Once I was travelling to Batam and I didn't realise that my passport was a few days short of the 6mth validity until I was purchasing the ferry tickets at Tanah Merah. The counter staff highlighted to me and told me that there is a possibility that the Batam Customs might deny my entry. I took the risk :sweat:
When I reached Batam Customs, I was hauled into a room where they spend a long time telling me of the requirements blah blah blah... then they say they will try and help me to talk to their supervisor. After sometime, one of them told me that I need to pay for "processing fee" to get special permission to enter else I had to return to Singapore.

To TS, please renew your passport. Most likely you will have problem trying to travel without the 6mth validity.

Once I was travelling to Batam and I didn't realise that my passport was a few days short of the 6mth validity until I was purchasing the ferry tickets at Tanah Merah. The counter staff highlighted to me and told me that there is a possibility that the Batam Customs might deny my entry. I took the risk :sweat:
When I reached Batam Customs, I was hauled into a room where they spend a long time telling me of the requirements blah blah blah... then they say they will try and help me to talk to their supervisor. After sometime, one of them told me that I need to pay for "processing fee" to get special permission to enter else I had to return to Singapore.

To TS, please renew your passport. Most likely you will have problem trying to travel without the 6mth validity.

:sweat: :sweat:

I thought you can just switch to the biometric passport? Won't that save the hassle of renewing?

Don't quote me though, I'm not in SG now :bsmilie:
for biometric passport, its still a booklet, just that the info from your thumbprints, iris, etc are stored on a chip inside your passport.....

Time will come where they will store that data in a chip under your skin.......its already being used in Holland for entrance into some clubs

HS

Anyway, if you travel by flight, the airline almost certainly will refuse to take you in cause if you get refused entry at your destination, the airline has to fly you back, as they are being made responsible for checking this......and they don't want the hassle and I think there is a fine for the airline too

HS

Hi Andrew,
My friend just got rejected to check-in in the airport because her passport validity is less than 6 months..
so better re-new your passport first :)

That happen to me years ago... not sure how much it cost you but I was there to play golf...he did not bring me to a room but just a few counters far from the crowd and "explain" things to me... explanation and entry cost me SDG$300!!!

Not sure about situation now but some countries only need 3 months while other 6months... if that is still practice maybe you should check which country you are heading and find out.

thank you all for the advise. will be renewing my passport before flying to HK this weekend :sweat:

That happen to me years ago... not sure how much it cost you but I was there to play golf...he did not bring me to a room but just a few counters far from the crowd and "explain" things to me... explanation and entry cost me SDG$300!!!

Not sure about situation now but some countries only need 3 months while other 6months... if that is still practice maybe you should check which country you are heading and find out.

Cost me $50. I was a poor student ;p

please renew, i underwent a fiasco early this year going to Kuching. Two days before, I realized my passport is 4 months from expiry, even called the Malaysia High Commission, they refused to help and pushed me to ICA. At last, had to proceed on with an emergency procedure. Interviewed by some high-rank officer on why i need the renewal quick. No choice, she finally gave me a quick passport renewal and collected the next day.

please renew, i underwent a fiasco early this year going to Kuching. Two days before, I realized my passport is 4 months from expiry, even called the Malaysia High Commission, they refused to help and pushed me to ICA. At last, had to proceed on with an emergency procedure. Interviewed by some high-rank officer on why i need the renewal quick. No choice, she finally gave me a quick passport renewal and collected the next day.

so the express renewal was done at the Msia High Comm?

think cause max u can stay in a country without visa is 6mths ... i think..

for those PRs... how long does ICA take to transfer the 'Re-entry Permit' stamp from the old passport to the new one?

for those PRs... how long does ICA take to transfer the 'Re-entry Permit' stamp from the old passport to the new one?

It is done on the spot if you do that early in the day. If you do it near closing time you'll need to collect it next working day.

Last edited:
It is done on the spot if you do that early in the day. If you do it near closing time you'll need to collect it next working day.

thanks.

i assumed you are a Spore PR. is it true that when renewing passport at the High Comm here, you can collect it within the same day. i've checked the website out and that's what was mentioned in the procedures.

if it is true, then i wouldn't want to make a trip into JB for the renewal.

You can log into the ICA web site and get instant renewal. Print out the approver reentry permity and keep it together with yr passpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.