Passive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fWord

Jun 23, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
There's a saying that goes, "The Mind is willing, but the Body is not," and I've found that to be true on some occasions.

This photo was a little experiment with shadows, and a simple one at that, but I hope you'll find your own meaning to the piece. Any comments or thoughts are most welcome...it's rather quiet around here most of the time.:bsmilie:

Please view it through this link:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25373572/

fWord said:
This photo was a little experiment with shadows, and a simple one at that, but I hope you'll find your own meaning to the piece.

I like the concept of the picture. The photo of the clouds is a clever way of turning the background problem when photographing small things into a feature with artistic merit.

What I think could be improved is the lighting which is very uneven. I would guess the light source was too close to the object so there's considerable fall-off. Also, the head of the crane is in the shadow, which contravenes common wisdom. A slightly different orientation of the crane or a different position of the light source would easily change that.

LittleWolf said:
I like the concept of the picture. The photo of the clouds is a clever way of turning the background problem when photographing small things into a feature with artistic merit.

What I think could be improved is the lighting which is very uneven. I would guess the light source was too close to the object so there's considerable fall-off. Also, the head of the crane is in the shadow, which contravenes common wisdom. A slightly different orientation of the crane or a different position of the light source would easily change that.

Thank you very much for the detailed critique. :) Indeed, the torchlight was very near to the crane in order to achieve the definition in the shadow. I'll attempt to experiment further with lighting in a future piece because I had difficulty with the head of the crane being in the shadow. I found that even changing the light direction slightly would have caused the head to be visible, at the expense of the shape of the shadow.

Thanks once again for raising these points.

fWord said:
Thank you very much for the detailed critique.

Actually, I made a mistake - I thought this thread was in the "critique corner" forum. I hope you don't mind :).

Heheh...don't worry, it was all good. I was happy to get any thoughts or comments...any of them is certainly better than none at all. ;)

Frankly, I don't like the idea of putting up a piece purely for the sake of critique. That in itself shuts down part of the mind of a viewer, and he or she automatically goes into 'sniping mode' to search out every error in a piece. It's probably better to leave things open and let the audience speak their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.