Particle in new lens

bennjerry

May 4, 2010
Hi guys, I just brought a new lens yesterday. After using it for a day , I saw a particle size of 0.5mm inside e rear element glass. Please advise what to do. Thanks.

Hi guys, I just brought a new lens yesterday. After using it for a day , I saw a particle size of 0.5mm inside e rear element glass. Please advise what to do. Thanks.

Nothing. It's dust. It will always find a way.

Dust specks are a fact of life and they may likely increase as you use it along the way, but I would not be concerned about them.

Congrats on your new lens purchase and grab more shots!

Ryan

You used vernier caliper to measure half millimeter? 500 micrometers you know?

yea it happens.

Since you've just bought it, just bring it back for exchange??? (if you're particular about new things being free of defects)

i used to be pretty particular about this sort of thing - i wanted my new lenses and all that to be perfect and used to spend quite a bit of time making sure they stayed that way - which was stupid, coz like many have said already, dust gets in no matter how careful you are. time spent worrying about this stuff is time you could use to shoot instead! try to keep your lenses scratch-free, try not to touch the front element and get fingerprints/smudges on it, and clean it when you feel you must. that's about it!

There is dust everywhere......

Unless you live in a clean room or vacuum...........

Check carefully. Confirm more than one speck. Once you find more than 10 specks, all about 0.10 mm, you should bring back to exchange for a new piece within 10 days.

Then repeat.

Thanks guys for all the tips and advise.

This article was a fun read and a big relief. I thought I would have to make plans to send my lens for periodic servicing. Haha.

Periodic servicing is probably the worst thing you can do... every time a lens is disassembled there's a chance it won't be reassembled just right.

Rashkae said:
Periodic servicing is probably the worst thing you can do... every time a lens is disassembled there's a chance it won't be reassembled just right.

Hm.. You do have a point. Which means that it would make more sense to sell the lens and get a new one. Great. Somehow that thought puts a smile on my face. Haha.

silvermoon1407 said:
Just don't hide the flaw when dealing with prospective buyers...

Ah. But of course. It won't be right to hide the flaw.

Last edited:
Hm.. You do have a point. Which means that it would make more sense to sell the lens and get a new one. Great. Somehow that thought puts a smile on my face. Haha.

Even if u get a new lens to replace, dust will inevitably end up in the lens after a while unless u keep it in the cabinet 24/7.....so no need to fret over it.

Ah. But of course. It won't be right to hide the flaw.

So you sell a perfectly fine lens at a loss, buy a pristine new lens and then 5 minutes later have dust in it too...

Even if u get a new lens to replace, dust will inevitably end up in the lens after a while unless u keep it in the cabinet 24/7.....so no need to fret over it.

keep in dry cabi 24/7 also will get dust.