Partial Metering

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcad84

Aug 12, 2005
Choa Chu Kang
www.sweetcornz.net
Hi guys,

Can I check with u guys, when i use partial metering, which focusing point does it use to evaluate the surround ar? Is it the focusing point which u have set to example [ -] then the evaluation will take the right?

Thanks.

Icic, Let say i have locked the exposures, then i reposition my view a bit, will it change the exposures that i have locked?

I heard in some mode you can't lock the Exposures.

bcad84 said:
Icic, Let say i have locked the exposures, then i reposition my view a bit, will it change the exposures that i have locked?

I heard in some mode you can't lock the Exposures.
If you have locked your exposure, how will repositioning your view change the exposure when it's locked? :dunno:

I don't know about you, but I'm able to lock exposure on P A S M modes.

use the afl/ael button instead of holding down the half-press, it only locks focus not exp

if you're using canon partial metering, metering should be based on the centre circle no matter which af point is selected. check your camera manual.

I heard in some mode you can't lock the Exposures
yes, check manual... the idiotproof modes on some cameras won't allow AE-lock

okay a newbie question here. Why use an AE-lock instead of letting the camera decide your exposure? so you'd constantly get the same amount of light for like a series of portrait? i'm very curious how to take advantage of this function cos its always found in the most convenient placements on the camera.

antitrust said:
okay a newbie question here. Why use an AE-lock instead of letting the camera decide your exposure? so you'd constantly get the same amount of light for like a series of portrait? i'm very curious how to take advantage of this function cos its always found in the most convenient placements on the camera.

Well sometimes indeed you can just let the cam decide your exposure, but that's the case when lighting throughout the entire picture is more or less the same. ie flat lighting.

However most of the times this is not the case. Take for example you have one part of the picture very bright and one part very dark. The bright part is your main subject but it happens that it's at one corner of the picture, and the centre is mainly quite dark. If you simply meter straight with your camera your camera will try to compensate for the dark area. What do you get? A correctly exposed middle portion but your subject (the bright area) will be blown out.

ronnie_sjr said:
Well sometimes indeed you can just let the cam decide your exposure, but that's the case when lighting throughout the entire picture is more or less the same. ie flat lighting.

However most of the times this is not the case. Take for example you have one part of the picture very bright and one part very dark. The bright part is your main subject but it happens that it's at one corner of the picture, and the centre is mainly quite dark. If you simply meter straight with your camera your camera will try to compensate for the dark area. What do you get? A correctly exposed middle portion but your subject (the bright area) will be blown out.

ah okay. i think i'm getting what you mean.

so what i can do is that i can zoom in on the subject, meter, AE-lock, zoom out, and snap? so that my subject will be correct exposed?

its more for what they would call a tricky light situation right?

use AE lock when you think the lighting in the scene may fool your camera's auto exposure. after all, the camera aims to avoid extreme dark or bright results (simplistically speaking). it doesn't know what it's being pointed at. you, however, can choose a suitable spot (perhaps not even in the scene) as a reference for exposure, if the scene contains "extreme" lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.