kelvinlimws

Dec 31, 2007
Behold the Tower Where Four Man Stand.
IMG_2125.jpg

Equipment: Canon EOS 450D, EFS 18-55mm IS
ISO: 400
Aperture: f11
Shutter Speed: 1/400 s

my eyes caught this magnificent building while i was walking earlier today. and i thought it would make quite a nice photograph.

i feedback of the exposure and the settings i've used.
i hope to take better photographs in the near future.

Thanks!

looking at the sun position in this photo, maybe u could have shot from the right of the building ie nearer to the bugis junction side. this way :

1) the sculpture ie man shouldering the big bowl will not be under-exposed.

2) the sky will look more evenly blue.

looking at the sun position in this photo, maybe u could have shot from the right of the building ie nearer to the bugis junction side. this way :

1) the sculpture ie man shouldering the big bowl will not be under-exposed.

2) the sky will look more evenly blue.

this photo was in RAW. and the sky was much nicer.
but i have no idea when the colour turned lighter after i uploaded it on the net.

nevertheless, thanks for the feedback.

this photo was in RAW. and the sky was much nicer.
but i have no idea when the colour turned lighter after i uploaded it on the net.

Between RAW and Upload there's the post-processing. What have you done? Which tool(s) have you used to convert into jpg?

Things that don't work well....

Composition
If its the main building you want to emphasize, trim off the excess. The trees and structure(on the right) in the foreground serves no purposes in this instance other than drawing attention away from your intended subject. This is made worse by the direction of the lighting which rendered them in shade. The top portion of the structure was cropped abruptly. If your subjects were stationery, you have all the time in the world to watch out for these minute details and paying attention to them is what makes a photo great. The entire composition appears a tad too tight and leaving more space for the sky and taking away unwanted elements would have helped a lot.

Lighting
Wrong time of the day to take the photo. The building is exposed to very harsh lighting condition which essentially stopped you from recording its details. Lacking in contrast generally. You've got to learn how to read the light. Waiting for the correct light to shine on the building requires a lot of studying of the site and patience. Sometimes, blue skies does not necessarily means there's good light falling onto the building.

ISO setting
Looking at your exposure data, is ISO 400 necessary? Especially when you are using a wide angle lens. Even in low light condition, you are better served with a good sturdy tripod.

Between RAW and Upload there's the post-processing. What have you done? Which tool(s) have you used to convert into jpg?

i used Photoshop CS3.

Things that don't work well....

Composition
If its the main building you want to emphasize, trim off the excess. The trees and structure(on the right) in the foreground serves no purposes in this instance other than drawing attention away from your intended subject. This is made worse by the direction of the lighting which rendered them in shade. The top portion of the structure was cropped abruptly. If your subjects were stationery, you have all the time in the world to watch out for these minute details and paying attention to them is what makes a photo great. The entire composition appears a tad too tight and leaving more space for the sky and taking away unwanted elements would have helped a lot.

Lighting
Wrong time of the day to take the photo. The building is exposed to very harsh lighting condition which essentially stopped you from recording its details. Lacking in contrast generally. You've got to learn how to read the light. Waiting for the correct light to shine on the building requires a lot of studying of the site and patience. Sometimes, blue skies does not necessarily means there's good light falling onto the building.

ISO setting
Looking at your exposure data, is ISO 400 necessary? Especially when you are using a wide angle lens. Even in low light condition, you are better served with a good sturdy tripod.

thanks for the critique.

i used Photoshop CS3.

And what have you done in CS3? Is there any conversion done at photobucket.com? I don't use this service, don't know if there is any additional processing done after uploading.
Open the picture local in CS3 and in your browser. Does it look the same? If not you have to check whether CS3 uses the same colour space as your camera and if your whole system is colour calibrated. You can search in Google for that topic, plenty of pages explaining what to do in CS3 and how to calibrate your monitor. Start with monitor calibration, then check CS3 settings and RAW conversion. You can download the latest RAW conversion profiles from Adobe. For more information about this topic you can open a thread in "Digital Darkroom".

And what have you done in CS3? Is there any conversion done at photobucket.com? I don't use this service, don't know if there is any additional processing done after uploading.
Open the picture local in CS3 and in your browser. Does it look the same? If not you have to check whether CS3 uses the same colour space as your camera and if your whole system is colour calibrated. You can search in Google for that topic, plenty of pages explaining what to do in CS3 and how to calibrate your monitor. Start with monitor calibration, then check CS3 settings and RAW conversion. You can download the latest RAW conversion profiles from Adobe. For more information about this topic you can open a thread in "Digital Darkroom".

alrighty thanks!

TS; now how would you have taken it differently, after getting the comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.