Parking behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Me and my colleague were talking the other day that there is a difference in the way Singaporeans and Malaysians park their car.

In Singapore, most, if not all, will back their car into a parking lot. Hence the rear of the car is at the kerb side.

However, in Malaysia, the norm is to just drive into the parking lot. The front of the car is at the kerb side.

We were wondering why the situation is like this?

Any members here can help to clarify? :)

TIA. :)

In SG, you can also employ your colleagues to 'chope' parking lots by standing at the lot. Another weird parking behaviour uniquely Singapore! LOL!

that parking design aside...

my fren told me its harder to tow the car away if you park head in.

Yes. My Malaysia friend will park head in and lock the Wheel 45C so it is not possible to tow away your car.

I agree, in my own analysis:

1. Environment issue -- In Sg, car parks are well planned and most of the places you go have ample entry and exit allowance, so reverse parking is easy. In M'sia, sometimes you have to squeze into a lot; sometimes the parking lots do not have proper marking, so it's very difficult to judge if backside go in first

2. Driving school -- Driving instructor always teach students to do reverse parking in vertical lot, so naturally all the graduates will park reverse in this type of lots. In Msia, no such thing, as long as you can put the 4 wheels into the box, it's consider pass.

3. Peer pressure -- In Sg, most of the car park backside in first, if you are the odd one, you will feel weird. In Msia, people can park left, right, center, corner, middle, as long as there is allowance to other car to pass, it's acceptable, no aunty or uncle summon you.

4. Mentality issue -- Generally speaking Singaporean are more uptight, very follow the rule kind, so cannot anyhow park, must park properly before go off if not will kena summon or sabotage. Msian are usually more carefree, hack care as long as it's convenient and fast.

5. Car price -- Singapore cars are more expensive to own, so the car must park sui sui if not other people knock and bang your car body then heart pain, as for M'sian, maybe get use to it liao....knock bang scratch also make no different :lovegrin:

back in army days, we reverse park vehicles 45deg facing the exit, incase emergency, hop on and drive away.

In SG, you can also employ your colleagues to 'chope' parking lots by standing at the lot. Another weird parking behaviour uniquely Singapore! LOL!

either use tissue or physically "stand" in the lot...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

there is this stomp post somewhere the lady chope the lot waiting for the hubby to drive over... thats kinda epic imho...

aeroplane ar? u park on the carrier? :bsmilie:

something big like double decker bus, full alu alloy, power steering is almost non-existant. park 1 vehicle, sweat like hell. some more need front and rear vehicle guide.:sweat::sweatsm:

Its true that its harder to TOW away your car if you park head in and lock steering 45Deg. In SG, have anyone try to get out of a parking lot if you park head in? Kiasuism from other drivers will not let you come out if they want to park in your lot. Youe see, most will wait just before your lot for you to come out but you cant reverse to your left cos the other car is there. Worst is that the other driver cannot reverse lost of the time because there are other cars behind and he /she will not move forward cos that will means he/she will lost a parking lot. (unless use Tissue paper to chope the lot) If you reverse park, you can just drive out and turn left.

Its true that its harder to TOW away your car if you park head in and lock steering 45Deg. In SG, have anyone try to get out of a parking lot if you park head in? Kiasuism from other drivers will not let you come out if they want to park in your lot. Youe see, most will wait just before your lot for you to come out but you cant reverse to your left cos the other car is there. Worst is that the other driver cannot reverse lost of the time because there are other cars behind and he /she will not move forward cos that will means he/she will lost a parking lot. (unless use Tissue paper to chope the lot) If you reverse park, you can just drive out and turn left.

Is this how the uncles chope parking lots? hehehe :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.