Paris in Winter

NuArt

Nov 3, 2005
Hi will be in Paris for a few days. Appreciate if anyone with prior experience can advise on photography spots, dos and donts for the best photo opportunity. Thanks

Cold, very cold. Fingers will be numb before you can snap a few photos and batteries will drain out fast. My recommendation is to wear gloves with exposed fingers so you do not have to remove the entire glove. Watch out when traveling in the METRO as hanging camera on the neck is not advisable. Snatch thieves will cut your strap and run off just before the METRO door closes.

Places of interest will be the usual attractions. Champs-Elysees is particularly charming, unfortunately, summer is much nicer. L'arc de Triomphe, L'opera, Jardin des Tuileries, Place de la Concorde, Notre Dame, La Tour Eiffel, Palais de Chaillot, Sacre Coeur... these are the usual well known places. Sugges to focus on details, the way they dress, things they eat, small cafe, etc.

Thanks, esp with regards to the safety measures. Any other advice will be helpful :)

Instead of keeping the camera in the bag each time in the train, I hide it inside my coat. Looks a bit bulky, but better than to be cut and snatched. Once I was warned as someone was trying to unzip my camera bag in the train. If your strap is Canon or Nikon, flip it over so the words won't show. If someone offers to take a photo of you with scene behind, just say no. He can out run you easily! Apart from the precaution, enjoy your trip!

Bonne vacance, Paris est toujours Paris, et j'adore Paris!

Thanks, esp with regards to the safety measures. Any other advice will be helpful :)

I dont have problem with the safety in Paris. I walked around with the camera hanging around my neck and I'm not gaining any attention. Nonetheless, one shall still remains vigilant and takes nothing for granted. Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

Hi will be in Paris for a few days. Appreciate if anyone with prior experience can advise on photography spots, dos and donts for the best photo opportunity. Thanks

regarding safety, my friend almost had his camera (point and shoot one) snatched on the RER (Line C) at night. so do take more precautions. if you go out at night, try to take the metro lines instead of the RER as the metro is generally more crowded and hence safer. stick around the groups of families with kids and tourists and you'll generally be fine :)

also, watch out for touts near montmartre and the eiffel tower trying to sell you stuff. walk quickly past them and dont stop. they'll just ignore you after that.

for sightseeing, i liked the view from the arc de triomphe and notre dame cathedral. champs elysees is nice, but better in summer. if you're a car lover, the peugeot, renault and citroen concept stores are along the champs elysees. :)

paris is a lovely city, enjoy yourself and take lots of photos!