Paris & Amsterdam

KurtSin

Feb 2, 2007
Tampines
Hi,

I am planning a diy trip to Paris and Amsterdam with my family, any suggested bed and breakfast?

Heard tripod is not allowed in Paris in many monuments; is it worth to bring along?

Also, heard there's lots of pick pocket in Paris, is it true?

Hey KurtSin. I've stayed in a few hotels in Paris and I really like this - Hotel Louvre Bons Enfants. It's just beside the Louvre and not too overly expensive for its location. Good thing about it is since it's so near the Louvre and Seine, you can stay up till pretty late. You can also check out Trip Advisor for info.

Here's the link to the hotel http://www.hotellouvrebonsenfants.com/

Be careful of cheap apartment/hotel scams in europe. There are many people who paid for "nicely-furnished hotels/apartments" only to find out that that "hotel/apartment" is actually a hair salon, grocery store, etc.

Hi KurtSin. You are right. Tripods are not allowed in most of the museums. If you happen to bring one, you will have to deposit at the baggage deposit counter. U wont be the only one. Lotsa tourists deposit their tripods and other funny stuffs. Personally I find it kinda troublesome but no choice. Just make sure you remember to take back your tripod, especially if the museum's entrance and exit is not the same. People tend to forget. =)

As for pickpockets, there are everywhere in Europe besides Paris. Just be on your guard and dont let your belongings get out of your sight. Never hang your bag behind your seat and never put your bag beside you unless u strap it to some part of your body (hand or leg, etc). People can just grab, run and u never see the person again. It happended to my friend before when we were in Tibet. Just stay alert, they can't do anything to you.

Last edited:
+1.

Paris is one of the most chaotic major city in Europe to me. Be extra careful near the sacr-heart church, there are about two dozen black fellas trying to tie string to tourists' wrists, once that done, you need to pay a fortune.

pick-pockets on metro, in queue to tourist attractions, in fast-food stores, basically everywhere.

For tripod, I don't see necessity of bringing your main heavy one, as most museums and monuments won't allow tripod photography. But as said, it's not that peace of mind to ask strangers to take photos for you, a mini pod to hold the camera when taking night/group shots would come in handy at times. Plus you can put it in your backpack when depositing your luggage at the entrances.

Do travel light, it's a LOOOT of walking to do.

have fun.

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips and info. Unfortunately the Hotel suggested does not take in 3 people, I am trying to check some bed and breakfast from airbnb.com, hopefully will not fall prey to those scams rental.

Good advise on the tripod, I am thinking of going around after midnight to shoot some night scene to avoid the crowd. Hope it's not too bold a thing to do.
;)

WEll, paris and amst. are both infamous chaotic city. You should really double check the internet before planning ur mid-night walkabouts.

Some part of Paris can be dangerous to tourists with big lenses. I would only stay within the most touristic places and take a cab home. According to a colleague of mine who lived in Paris for 9 years, even one district away from Leuve can be doggy after dark.

For amsterdam, I think somehow it's better than Paris. I tried to hang around at night, except for drunk people near the red light district, other places seems OK.

Good luck with your hotel bookings. Can try www.bookings.com, very detailed reviews from former guests, could be helpful.

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips and info. Unfortunately the Hotel suggested does not take in 3 people, I am trying to check some bed and breakfast from airbnb.com, hopefully will not fall prey to those scams rental.

Good advise on the tripod, I am thinking of going around after midnight to shoot some night scene to avoid the crowd. Hope it's not too bold a thing to do.
;)

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

Here's what I had done so far.

Booked an apartment near saint Marcel metro via centreparis.com.

B&b in Amsterdam - Maes.

Had read many scams and cases on pickpockets; hopefully steer clear from them.

Had also booked the speed train from Paris to amsterdam.

I read somewhere that backpack is not allowed in louvre and some museum, is it true?

Guys - please no panic. I've lived in Singapore and now Paris since 18 months. Just keep your eyes open - like in any big city, that is not your home town. That's all. And since you'll be anyway moving around the touristy areas; you're good. Only outside of Paris (mainly north of the city), you've got areas that are notorious at times.

Hi brentel,

Thanks for the sharing.

Hi there, While living in Paris for about 5 months, I came across the "gold Ring" scam numerous times. (you will come across this if you google it)

I dont know how it work but here is the gist of it.
Someone walking just around you will suddenly bend down and "found" a solid gold ring. He will asked if its yours and of course you will reply NO. He/she will claim he cant keep it as against religion and so on so forth... if you decide to keep it, they will start asking you for money.

I was caught in it once when she pushed the ring to my hand. Luckily I was with my french friend who insist that our religion doesnt allow is to keep what we dont own as well :)))
It is commonly found around the tourist areas - Champs elysee, Musuems Orlay and Lourve.

HAve fun in these beautiful cities.
I love amsterdams' coffeeshops and red light district. (remember not to take any photos there as it might be thrown into the canel)

Hi all, will be going Europe (Italy, Belgium, Holland) next week, wondering if it's safe to carry a DSLR around as I am travelling with one female friend and it's our first time going to europe. Don't want to be a target of pickpocket and all...
Thanks for ur advises!

Hi all, will be going Europe (Italy, Belgium, Holland) next week, wondering if it's safe to carry a DSLR around as I am travelling with one female friend and it's our first time going to europe. Don't want to be a target of pickpocket and all...
Thanks for ur advises!

Everyone and their dog carries a DSLR around Europe nowadays so its no issue carrying one. Italy has a higher rate of petty crime and pickpockets but just have your wits about you.

If you're street smart enough and aware of your surroundings you'll be fine; if you're blur and naive then even if you carry a money belt and cheapo pns you'll still find a way to lose something/get something stolen etc.

Have a great trip!