Parents are the one to blame (?)

Every parent wants their kid to have a good start in education. Nowadays kids got no more childhood. Even neighbouring countries also wish their kids could come here to study. So, if we local dont fight now, next time we are the ones who sweeping floor, clearing n cleaning table, fixing pipe n construction work jobs. While those from oversea look down on us like from 3rd world. So, we must start young n blk outsider from taking over us!

Every parent wants their kid to have a good start in education. Nowadays kids got no more childhood. Even neighbouring countries also wish their kids could come here to study. So, if we local dont fight now, next time we are the ones who sweeping floor, clearing n cleaning table, fixing pipe n construction work jobs. While those from oversea look down on us like from 3rd world. So, we must start young n blk outsider from taking over us!

amen to THAT brother ! a little competition (not blocking) never hurt anybody

Last edited:
It's difficult to measure your performance as a parent, so parents often subconsciously gauge their success by how their children are doing in school.
Your child is a straight-A student? Then you must be doing a wonderful job!
Your child is struggling academically? Then you're failing as a parent.
Few parents verbalize it, but these thoughts are at the core of their decision to send their children for tuition classes. At the end of the day, no parent wants to feel like a failure.

Hmmm....this is a very sad truth locally. I remind myself everyday not to fall into this "trap". End of the day, the kids can study, but their social skills suffers as a result.

I see some parents started sending kids for tuition from Primary 1. When they grow up, they will not have any fond memories of childhood at all. Who will want to remember a childhood full of books?

I am fortunate that I grew up in a Kampung in Lim Chu Kang, and gets to really enjoy my childhood (catch spiders, fighting fish, climb trees etc). I try to bring my kids to the countryside both locally and in Malaysia as frequently as I can, so that they know the world is not only brick and concrete. And as long as I can manage, I will not send them for tuition. This is a job which I think I can take and it helps in father-child bonding too.

oh well, that's sad.. life for singapore kids will get tougher as we have more foreigners coming here to fight with us...

i got no tuition (no money for it either).

i have many problems.

end of the day, my results not too shabby also what. tuition is overrated :)

i got no tuition (no money for it either).

i have many problems.

end of the day, my results not too shabby also what. tuition is overrated :)
5As student. Hmm. Seems legit.

Used to be a a top ten student in sch too. The too ten was dominated by foreign students who take lesser subjects. Skipped classes almost expelled and play football everytime. My principal said that i couldnt make it but later congratulated me after my results. Hypocrites.

Personally i think when people are too stressed about 'making it', they fair worse.

Used to be a a top ten student in sch too. The too ten was dominated by foreign students who take lesser subjects. Skipped classes almost expelled and play football everytime. My principal said that i couldnt make it but later congratulated me after my results. Hypocrites.

Personally i think when people are too stressed about 'making it', they fair worse.

my teacher told me kiss half my class goodbye (because he predict kenna kick out within the year)

a good number got retained, some got transferred out.

my prelims rank point was a 46 (or 49) iirc

Last edited:
For children, sufficient play-time (especially outdoors) and interaction with other children and allowing their imagination free reign between the ages of 3-8 is key to having creative, free-thinking adults with good social skills. By sending kids for one tuition/enrichment course after another, SG parents are stifling this. It just means they are raising future office workers, not company leaders.

For children, sufficient play-time (especially outdoors) and interaction with other children and allowing their imagination free reign between the ages of 3-8 is key to having creative, free-thinking adults with good social skills. By sending kids for one tuition/enrichment course after another, SG parents are stifling this. It just means they are raising future office workers, not company leaders.

Not entirely true.

However, I don't think good mark in school guarantee anything in life.

Let's put it this way, I wasn't the brightest kid in school, but I do love my life and nonetheless happy.

Aiya, what different does it make when you don't wake up from sleep?

Be happy and stay happy.

Hart

ps la. i miss one last A haha :x

but no tuition. seriously no tuition.

lol 6 As not the max. My office one guy 9As (yes 9 A level As, not O level) without tuition

You all forgot by sending kids to tuition, the adults will have a couple of quiet time for themselves...:p maybe that's one of the motivation for sending kids to tuition.

For me, tuition=over rated :)

lol 6 As not the max. My office one guy 9As (yes 9 A level As, not O level) without tuition

ahhahahaha. i wanted to also. but hey, photography as a development ain't so bad ok?

9a, 6a, uni if same course also lan lan hahaha... unless he planning go harvard etc... that one will require lor.

i think no one is entirely to blame for this perhaps....and everyone is partly to blame...
think mixture of singapore having only human resources. govt policies, people's attitudes ...
sad... but i see no way out....you can't really blame anyone as perhaps no one started with any bad intentions...
and tuition might be good to a kid but not to another kid...every kid is different....has different talents...
different learning method etc.....

that's why other ppl need tuition to catch up with these smartypants. how to compete with these ppl lol.

that's why other ppl need tuition to catch up with these smartypants. how to compete with these ppl lol.

not true. i know of a certain 9A star student, end up no scholarship want him. reason? CIP hours not sufficient/kosong. smartypants can only go so far.

if i spend my day just sitting in a closet and study, i would say a good number can sh*t out 5-6A, barring those got learning challenges which tuition also cannot save. problem is, what are you giving up in the process?

life is not just school. most students themselves already can get A one. but all kanjiong spider for what? my friend is now tutoring this HCI student. his own results for chem is B. the hci student probably doing better than both of us added together already (i saw her tutorial ans and notes). i and my friend have to peer over and check our ans with hers.

and guess what? he is supposed to reteach/revise the same exact tutorial with her. this, my friends, is stupid.

the impt thing is, how effective is tuition? if it is so effective, why do schools not employ it? are schools ineffective in getting the job done then?

there are many people who can do enough to fend for themselves. but they keep telling me "hey i need that crutch, i need tuition. they are better than sch etc"

sigh.

Last edited: