Paradise in Coron, Philippines

vogriphach

May 26, 2009
www.flickr.com
Came back from Coron (Palawan) in Philippines over the labor day weekend. Some stunning landscapes situated in a place not too far from Manila. Some of the land/sea-scapes are a bit similar to places like Krabi or Ha Long Bay -- Palawan is that elongated Philippine island situated nearest to mainland Southeast Asia so it's probably no surprise that there are similarities.

Pictures as per below. Also wrote about my trip here: Paradise on Earth: Malcapuya and Banana Islands « I Wander

7135655129_f7326b6273_z.jpg

I was halfway towards my climb to Kayangan Lake, said to be one of the cleanest lakes in Asia, when I saw this spectacular view! The craggy limestone rock formation jutting out of the turquoise waters was just too hard not to like!

6989577040_3b2c34d985_z.jpg

One of the outlying islands of the Calamianes Group, 2 hours from Coron

7135660011_0dab8172e6_z.jpg

that lone tree situated against the contrasting baby blue and dark blue colors of the sea was just begging to be photographed

6989578092_d69ecf02c6_z.jpg

the long stretch of white sand beaches... it was just like swimming in a large swimming pool

7135661907_2338ed6fa1_z.jpg

sunset on my first day there... it was just like a mushroom cloud formation

I miss this kind of sceneries.

My advice is go Manila then get a connecting flight to Coron, Palawan. Trust me, this place is nice

One can book a flight SG-Manila, then take domestic flight Manila-Coron. Airphil Express and Cebu Pacific have flights going to Coron. If you cannot find Coron in some of the local airlines' website, try to look for "Busuanga". There are also tour packages available for Coron. Just google it.

After Coron, you might want to book another flight to Puerto Princesa City and see the famous Underground River. It recently won a place as one of the wonders of the world.

Another entry I wrote about the trip, mentioned how to get there. And yes, it involves flying to Manila then taking a domestic flight to Busuanga (Coron).

[url]http://wanderme.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/coron/[/URL]

7135657853_62c85c6d95_z.jpg

banana island - i like how this place has a crescent-shaped cove

6989575876_82a555e5ca_z.jpg

another boat shot! but this is in another island

7135655623_ff62c6198f_z.jpg

at kayangan bay

Yes, the natural undisturbed beautiful sceneries make it a paradise. There are similarities to Phuket/Krabi, even Halong Bay, but minus the large number of tourists. After my trip to Cebu/Bohol/Balicasag, which opened my eyes to the beauty that's in Philippines, I thought of going to El Nido or even Coron. But it seems far, remote & isolated, not sure if it is comfortable & safe. Also other than diving/snorkling, dont seem to have much other activities there. Still considering between this or El Nido. Show us more photos to entice us there :) Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Yes, the natural undisturbed beautiful sceneries make it a paradise. There are similarities to Phuket/Krabi, even Halong Bay, but minus the large number of tourists. After my trip to Cebu/Bohol/Balicasag, which opened my eyes to the beauty that's in Philippines, I thought of going to El Nido or even Coron. But it seems far, remote & isolated, not sure if it is comfortable & safe. Also other than diving/snorkling, dont seem to have much other activities there. Still considering between this or El Nido. Show us more photos to entice us there :) Thanks for sharing.

Coron is not at all remote/isolated. It's just a 45 minute flight from Manila like I mentioned. Re. the safety, it seemed very safe to me. I have not heard of any untoward incidents in those parts.