Paper Backdrop on chain wind backdrop stand - HOW TO MOUNT ??

benjicon

Mar 31, 2009
Singapore
Hi Guys,

We just got a heap of gear at home today to set up our home studio, one of them being a backdrop frame with chain rolling mechanism and a black and a white paper back drop.

This may seem simple, but How the heck do I mount the paper roll on the mounting bar in such a way that when I try to wind it back up the inner bar bites the cardboard tube? As it is right now, if I even unroll the backdrop just a little, there is no grip on the mounting bar and it just unrolls all down to the ground, I have to stop it and wind it by hand.

If you look at the image I took, the Bar that the paper roll hangs on is way smaller than the cardboard tube... Am I missing a sleeve or some part of the mechanism? Or is there a trick to getting the space filled out ? Any assistance here would be greatly apreciated.

IMAG0307.jpg

Cheers .. Ben.

er... i dunno. u might consider rolling the whole roll onto the mounting bar? (effectively getting rid of ur cardboard roll)

might work...

never had one before, so just guessing

Yeah I thought of that ... but I have a black backdrop and a white backdrop, I need to be able to swap them out, if I roll it straight on to the bar I will either have to undo it all to mount the white one on, or have 2 bars, one for each colour.

Yeah I thought of that ... but I have a black backdrop and a white backdrop, I need to be able to swap them out, if I roll it straight on to the bar I will either have to undo it all to mount the white one on, or have 2 bars, one for each colour.

have 2 bars then hahahahah

Did you check with the shop before you brought it

Did you check with the shop before you brought it

Nope, I bought it online.. It did come with 4 little split white pvc clips, that I imagine are to fix the paper straight to the bar.

I went ahead and fixed the problem, its not pretty, but it is effective and cheap and no one will ever see it other than us when we swap out the rolls. I wrapped the bar with enough bubble wrap to snugly fit in the cardboard tube in the middle of the paper roll, then tightly taped it into place. One the same size at each end, now it bites the cardboard nicely.

IMAG0310.jpg

Thanks for the fast replies, hope this might help someone that faces the same problem one day down the track ;)

Cheers.. Ben.

Any instruction book given when you brought online.Nevernever buy thing blinding.

The cardboard roll is never meant to hang so loosely. There's supposed to be a knob on both or one side of the horizontal bar to grip the inner roll. I think with this cheaper version they omitted some vital parts.

Please don't try removing the roll. The paper will warp without it.

Any instruction book given when you brought online.Nevernever buy thing blinding.

No Instructions which I was surprised about, but I bought from Red Dot so I felt safe, and its all worked out now. I think my intention to be able to swap out coloured backgrounds easily wasn't exactly what the stand was designed for.. But my solution / modification works like a dream.

Here it is all up safely and working. (Sorry abt the pic quality, phone cam.)

IMAG0311.jpg

Ben.

I think you better check with ruby at pennasular plaza.

The cardboard roll is never meant to hang so loosely. There's supposed to be a knob on both or one side of the horizontal bar to grip the inner roll. I think with this cheaper version they omitted some vital parts.

Haha.. No no no. I wouldn't dare, Its working fine now, hacked as the modification is.. it will do till the time comes to buy a better quality one.

Cheers.

Sorry to ask Is this picture taken from your house?

I think for the cheaper versions, you are supposed to be winding up the paper on the bar using the clips. Not pretty, but you really get what you pay for.

You can use cardboard to fill in the gap area so that the roll will not move freely when you turn. The cardboard that wraps the paper backdrop does fine as well. You can cut the flaps.

I learnt this tip from a studio owner. :)