Paper article on NiMH - Please comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
POWER TO THE PEOPLE - Weekend TODAY October 16-17

Regarding NiMH, the article says "One downside is the memory effect: The battery remembers the power level at which you carry out your charges and will require a charge whenever it hits that level."

Is that correct?

I've always thought that memory effect was NOT an issue with NiMH batteries, only Ni-Cd. I also see that an increasing number of battery chargers having a discharge function to remove memory effect from NiMH cells (check out the Sony Refresh chargers). I always thought that manufacturers were trying to pull a fast one on consumers, as a sales gimmick. Or have I misunderstood the whole thing completely?

So once again, what's the deal with this "memory effect" and NiMH cells, eh? Thanks!

Do you believe what they say ???.
Nikon D2 or D1 (could not remember) was critised because of not having a build in flash if I am not wrong !!!!!. :bsmilie:

synapseman said:
POWER TO THE PEOPLE - Weekend TODAY October 16-17

Regarding NiMH, the article says "One downside is the memory effect: The battery remembers the power level at which you carry out your charges and will require a charge whenever it hits that level."

Is that correct?

I've always thought that memory effect was NOT an issue with NiMH batteries, only Ni-Cd. I also see that an increasing number of battery chargers having a discharge function to remove memory effect from NiMH cells (check out the Sony Refresh chargers). I always thought that manufacturers were trying to pull a fast one on consumers, as a sales gimmick. Or have I misunderstood the whole thing completely?

So once again, what's the deal with this "memory effect" and NiMH cells, eh? Thanks!

I have heard people complain that there are quite a few atrocious local tech writers, but this is the first time I've seen something so contradictory with my own eyes. I wonder what qualifies a person to be a tech writer? Or who vets/edits their articles?

NiMH are NOT environmentally friendly. It's just less harmful because it has no Cadmium in it. Swallowed whole, chewed, ingested, it may still poison or kill.

Alkalines are meant to power flashes, because it can supply a higher voltage, and thus recharges faster. Though not environmentally friendly, major manufacturers such as Energizer, Varta, and various other brands still manufacture them.

Heck, which battery is environmentally friendly? Which one company will grow one tree, or recycle one piece of paper when we buy one battery? The writer should have done more homework first...

sehsuan said:
Alkalines are meant to power flashes, because it can supply a higher voltage, and thus recharges faster. Though not environmentally friendly, major manufacturers such as Energizer, Varta, and various other brands still manufacture them.
Not true at all.
NiMh/NiCd recycle faster than alkalines. Voltage is not the sole determinant, there is also internal resistance to consider.

Just try it out for yourself.

sehsuan said:
i'm trying to write in the same way as the original reporter. why don't you join in the fun?

Don't need to. You are doing a good job at it.;)

Each battery chemistry has it's quirks, even Lion.

Nimh batteries take 3 or 4 charge/discharge cycles to reach capacity, assuming the discharge is complete.

Nimh DO have memory effect, although not as bad as Nicads.

Maha makes a good charger/cycler.

I made my own discharger, that uses 4 aa's at a time. I periodically cycle all my Nimhs.

There are various theories on how to extend the life of Nimh batteries, but I don't worry about them. They are cheap and new capacities come out all the time, so you can "upgrade".

Status
Not open for further replies.