Papago M6 GPS for iPhone

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase a GPS device to be used in the car.

I would like to check if anyone is using this GPS app from Papago? It would be wonderful to just purchase this rather than getting an actual GPS device from Papago.

One advantage will be price is much lower. Another advantage will be I don't need to have additional devices in the car.

Also, will this software uses 3G data connectivity while I'm in Malaysia? If not, this will be wonderful, as it will save on huge data connectivity charges.

Any commments on this is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Also, will this software uses 3G data connectivity while I'm in Malaysia? If not, this will be wonderful, as it will save on huge data connectivity charges.

Any commments on this is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Actually I guess there's a setting in the iPhone that can switch off data roaming.. so there'll be no data roaming charges at all.

Actually I guess there's a setting in the iPhone that can switch off data roaming.. so there'll be no data roaming charges at all.

Go setting> can switch OFF 3G and Data

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, I'm aware of the iPhone setting, but I think you guys have misunderstood my question. I would like to know if this software (Papago M6) will be able to work in Malaysia without a data connection, and how reliable is it?

if it works w/o data connection, that means it has to be able to save a copy of the Map in the phone for that particular country..

Probably it is better to ask the vendor directly? because it is country specific.. by default, maybe they only include SG map?

if it works w/o data connection, that means it has to be able to save a copy of the Map in the phone for that particular country..

Probably it is better to ask the vendor directly? because it is country specific.. by default, maybe they only include SG map?

For this version, it includes Singapore and Malaysia. The database is about 200+MB, so I guess it should work without a data connection on an iPhone. I'll check and update again.

Meanwhile, if anyone has this piece of info, please help to provide. Thanks! :)

I have 6.1 on my iphone. Will try it this week when I go Malaysia.

I think the current verson is 6.4.

For this version, it includes Singapore and Malaysia. The database is about 200+MB, so I guess it should work without a data connection on an iPhone. I'll check and update again.

Meanwhile, if anyone has this piece of info, please help to provide. Thanks! :)

My wife has this app installed in her iphone, and we had used it a couple of times in Malaysia.

Basically the maps of Singapore and Malaysia are already saved in the iphone, and all it needs is the iphone internal GPS signal. It does not access to your data roaming. You'll get regular map updates that you can update anytime via 3G or wifi.

As a simple GPS device on your iphone, it does the job and helps to navigate with both graphic maps in either 2D or 3D orientation, and with voice prompting as well. The iphone GPS sometimes does need to hunt a while for the GPS signal, especially during bad weather, so those stand alone GPS devices do have an advantage there, but most of the time you are able to get the signal.

One thing to note when using Papago M6 GPS on iphone, it saps the battery pretty fast and your iphone will gat quite hot. So make sure you have a car charger and if you want to put your iphone on a holder, you may want to find one that enables your aircon can blow at it.

Papago do not use data as the maps are installed in your iphone. I do find the battery consumption very high when using GPS. However it did help me get out of Melacca when I "lost" my way. A bit troublesome to enter the destination. Another irritation I encountered is that whenever you receive sms or whatever alert, you need to tap yr screen so that makes driving a bit dangerous.

I hv installed version 6.4.

Last edited:
I just brought it out for a spin. Turned off data and it worked!

i beg to differ. you can turn of 3G and still surf the net.

How I interpret his post is switching off 3G and Data.

If No data transmission and using voice only service can still surf the net? well, maybe, if you say so. never tried b4.. maybe my info is wrong.

How I interpret his post is switching off 3G and Data.

If No data transmission and using voice only service can still surf the net? well, maybe, if you say so. never tried b4.. maybe my info is wrong.
can you enlighten me on how to turn off data for iPhone? been trying to figure that out to no avail. overseas, yes..but in sg?? pls advise!

Hmm im using this app. My set is jailbroken and there was once i switched off all data traffic via SBSettings. papago still worked.

i'm not sure if the A-GPS in the iPhone works by itself (as a standalone GPS device). it needs to connect to either a WiFi network or a 2.5/3G network to work. i may be wrong though...

can you enlighten me on how to turn off data for iPhone? been trying to figure that out to no avail. overseas, yes..but in sg?? pls advise!

if you already have the iOS4, to turn off data in SG, just go to Settings -> General -> Network and turn the Cellular Data to 'Off'.

if you are not on iOS4, then maybe you need to erase the values for APN, Username and Password. not too sure if there is a better way to do this in a non-iOS4 device.

Hi all,

Just to update everyone in this thread. I've purchased the Papago M6 version 6.5 for iPhone via iTunes yesterday. It's about 400+ MB in size, and needs to be downloaded via a Wifi connection. I'm running iOS 4.

I've also tested it out in a car, connected with a car charger. Yes, without a car charger, it sucks juice from the iPhone like anything else. This is understandable, as the GPS chip in the iPhone will need to contact the GPS for at least 3 points, before it can provide an accurate pin-point of your location. Also, since this is designed for usage in a car, it is assumed that one will connect to a car charger. Also, please place your phone in a location where it is cool enough, preferable with cold air blowing to it, as iPhone will get warm (or near to hot) when using GPS (this is normal). If it gets too hot, the control mechanism in there will prevent the device from getting charged. This is a good mechanism, as it protects your iPhone from getting heated up and KaBoom! :bsmilie:

In addition, I have switched off data connection in the iPhone to test if it will work without a data connection. To answer to those who does not know how to turn off data connection ONLY, go to Settings --> General --> Network --> Cellular Data.

Do not be mistaken between Cellular Data and 3G. If you turn off cellular data connection, it will disable all data connection. If you turn off 3G but switch on your cellular data connection, it will still connect via GPRS, which is a 2G connectivity.

Also, do not set your phone to Airplane mode, hoping that it will turn off data connection. Yes, it will indeed turn off data connection, but it will also turn off the GPS in your iPhone!

Updating my current location using M6 is smooth, with cellular data set to OFF. The voice direction given provides ample time for me to turn when approaching junctions. There's also choices on different language such as English (default), Chinese, Hokkien, etc.

Will try to test on this new toy and update again. Hope the above is helpful.

so... the iPhone can act as a standalone GPS device without any data connectivity switched on? have you tried in Msia?

i'm not sure if the A-GPS in the iPhone works by itself (as a standalone GPS device). it needs to connect to either a WiFi network or a 2.5/3G network to work. i may be wrong though...

Last time I went to China, roaming was set to off, so no data.

When I turn on the compass, naturally the map will not work.. but the thing is, the coordinate never get updated at all.. so not sure whether GPS can actually work or not..