Pansonic FZ5 users


Status
Not open for further replies.

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#1
Hi,

tot i'm thinkin of getting this cam this week.
and have read quite a few articles and reviews on FZ5.

Just wanna ask something. It says it supports up to 1G.
I went to a forum in uk and someone said he tried 2G SDcard and it works.
can someone with a 2G SD card verify it on FZ5?


Cheers!
:D
 

eow

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2004
10,063
6
38
#2
The pana forum in dpreview reportedly claim that his fz1 is y2k compilant (can read 2gb card and it indicate there 2k worth of shots available)
no reason why the fz5 can't
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#3
hmmm. what brand of SD card do you guys use?
I hear panasonic cams performance is better with a SD card that is fast.

Hmmm 2G SD cards are pretty expensive IIRC? :embrass:
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#4
For me I rather carry spare memory card than to buy a 2G.
can't imagine myself shooting lots of photos and to find one day the card is corrupted or spoil!
Well, it happenend to my other camera before...so lesson to me is to use more card than to trust on one alone.
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#5
point noted.
k lar. i won't be too ambitious for now.
now i'm just wondering what brand of SD card i want to take?

Any opinions? sandisk? kingston? lexar? or panasonic? twinmos?
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#6
Cheapest and good for me is 512mb Kingston elite pro $67 or lesser at SLS 4th level Best Bargin.
Other people may have better alternative for you...well from what I noticed high speed or slow speed never affect much during photo taking. Can't feel the difference...some other may.
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#7
Alright. point noted.

I planning to get 1G SD card ba... 2G Kingston SD is going for 235 now at comex. (that's 8.5 dollars per mB)

. going japan in end Oct. so probably bring this FZ5 along. and gotta perfect some good skills to capture some good shots for the trip.

$$$ $$$ $$$.

So my wish list for this week end is

1. FZ5
2. 1G or more SD card.
3. Hoya UV Filter
4. Lens Cap
5. Carry Bag (Anybody knows of a not too expensive bag)

as the weeks to come it will probably be.
6. Cleaning Kit / Lens pen
7. Macro Lens
8. Slik U6600 Tripod (is this good?)
9. Extra Battery (First Hand or 3rd Party?)

What other filters do fellow FZ5 bros recommend ?
 

unseen

Senior Member
Dec 14, 2004
2,622
0
0
NTU and Wdls
#8
er... trust me.. u wun like it if 2gb, and u lose ur data...
changing SD card is a less than 30second affair..
get 2 X 1gig would be good.

slik u series are total crap tripods. really. not much better than the $30 tripods u can find outside.
extra batteries - get eastgear. if you lucky, may get a super good one. my old one could last alot alot alot of shots. my older one could last only slightly more than original.

heh slow speed cards will take forever to view images. I personally detest Kingston cards. Their read speeds are super ultra slow. My older pro-speed card had close to instantaneous display while kingston one sometimes jams for 1 or 2 seconds before i can review (using the down button)..
 

unseen

Senior Member
Dec 14, 2004
2,622
0
0
NTU and Wdls
#9
get a Linear Polarizer. Cheaper by quite a bit, works better by a lil bit.
 

huggable

Senior Member
Nov 2, 2004
3,702
0
0
East side
#10
I thought the FZ5 only supports FAT16, hence the max SD size it can address is up to 1GB? Don't know what has that to do with y2k tho'. :dunno:
 

eow

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2004
10,063
6
38
#11
It was meant as a joke/ref to the year 2000 thingy
 

Mar 13, 2004
458
0
16
Bishan
deadpoetscave.com
#12
huggable said:
I thought the FZ5 only supports FAT16, hence the max SD size it can address is up to 1GB? Don't know what has that to do with y2k tho'. :dunno:
Yes, that's what I was led to believe. Anyone with a FZ5 who is using a 2BG card can confirm?
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#13
unseen said:
er... trust me.. u wun like it if 2gb, and u lose ur data...
changing SD card is a less than 30second affair..
get 2 X 1gig would be good.

slik u series are total crap tripods. really. not much better than the $30 tripods u can find outside.
extra batteries - get eastgear. if you lucky, may get a super good one. my old one could last alot alot alot of shots. my older one could last only slightly more than original.

heh slow speed cards will take forever to view images. I personally detest Kingston cards. Their read speeds are super ultra slow. My older pro-speed card had close to instantaneous display while kingston one sometimes jams for 1 or 2 seconds before i can review (using the down button)..
ya man the slik U series really :complain:wondering why i bought it last time...heng sell off and get the sprint pro.

hmm I never noticed kingston card slower to review....or am I too slow
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#14
hmm went to AP leh.
the person like anyhow quote. say 680SGD. give 256mb card only. at funan mall one.
hmmm somemore left the black sets. sian 1/2

den i went to comex. 799SGD.
so the 'free' gifts include camera case, 512mb and 256mb sd cards, bino, cleaning kit and drybox. not worth it right?

so tripod buy any brand can liao ah. i see some dude recommend slik one. didnt know it was bad.
the kingston is the elite pro one man. 133x i think shdnt be slow.

dunnoe le. like no one at the moment actually has a 2G SD card.
hope someone verify this soon.

anyway FZ5 is very light and the black set got this 'toy' feel mabbe because of its plastic case. was alittle disappointed that it felt that 'plastic' haaa for a while after i tried IS S2 at comex after FZ5 i tot mabbe shd buy S2.

hai. but budget constraint. and i strongly still believe FZ5 has its pros over S2.

Hai!!!! Psycho me psycho me ppl!
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#15
unseen said:
get a Linear Polarizer. Cheaper by quite a bit, works better by a lil bit.

hmm sorry for another post, but polarizer filter is more expensive? i tot more expensive?
what is its function by the way?
so i must take of the UV filter when i wanna use it?
 

dominator

Senior Member
Mar 7, 2005
1,662
0
0
11
Amazon Forest
#16
Junye said:
hmm went to AP leh.
the person like anyhow quote. say 680SGD. give 256mb card only. at funan mall one.
hmmm somemore left the black sets. sian 1/2

den i went to comex. 799SGD.
so the 'free' gifts include camera case, 512mb and 256mb sd cards, bino, cleaning kit and drybox. not worth it right?

so tripod buy any brand can liao ah. i see some dude recommend slik one. didnt know it was bad.
the kingston is the elite pro one man. 133x i think shdnt be slow.

dunnoe le. like no one at the moment actually has a 2G SD card.
hope someone verify this soon.

anyway FZ5 is very light and the black set got this 'toy' feel mabbe because of its plastic case. was alittle disappointed that it felt that 'plastic' haaa for a while after i tried IS S2 at comex after FZ5 i tot mabbe shd buy S2.

hai. but budget constraint. and i strongly still believe FZ5 has its pros over S2.

Hai!!!! Psycho me psycho me ppl!
no need to psycho la. if you are willing to pay more then go for S2.

when use polarizer no need to remove uv filter. just stack on will do.
 

eow

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2004
10,063
6
38
#17
Trust yr gut feeling....the fz5 or s2 all are good cameras
 

Junye

New Member
Sep 2, 2005
509
0
0
#18
hmmmm. now switch camera i do feel like an idiot when i tried FZ5 and S2. so many controls.
the LCD of S2 looks good. and it can turn.
FZ5 , what i notice is it is very very sharp.

alot of canon fans, the booth so packed. hmm think i buy the FZ5 tomorrow at MS colour, AP or Cathay.

so can anybody advise me of the list of things that i should buy for FZ5?

1. FZ5
2. Extra Batt? (AP quoted abt 70)
3. 1G Fast SD Card.
4. Tripod? (What brand?)
5. Filters? (other than UV, what else? Linear polarizer?) macro le?
6. Bag? (What bag u all use and fit all these equipment)

i'm so sorry to bomb u guys with questions. hai i'm too much a newbie.
 

eow

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2004
10,063
6
38
#19
dun ever get the $70 batt it cost only $23.90 at inforcom at funan and last longer too
 

FZ5owner

New Member
May 28, 2005
1,392
0
0
paradise
#20
Junye said:
hmmmm. now switch camera i do feel like an idiot when i tried FZ5 and S2. so many controls.
the LCD of S2 looks good. and it can turn.
FZ5 , what i notice is it is very very sharp.

alot of canon fans, the booth so packed. hmm think i buy the FZ5 tomorrow at MS colour, AP or Cathay.

so can anybody advise me of the list of things that i should buy for FZ5?

1. FZ5
2. Extra Batt? (AP quoted abt 70)
3. 1G Fast SD Card.
4. Tripod? (What brand?)
5. Filters? (other than UV, what else? Linear polarizer?) macro le?
6. Bag? (What bag u all use and fit all these equipment)

i'm so sorry to bomb u guys with questions. hai i'm too much a newbie.
my 1 cents worth is to get wat u need most now. can slowly buy to add into ur inventory. no point buying 7 buying and become a white elephant in your camera bag......... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom