Panoramic stitching and HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoiNoi

Oct 3, 2005
Seng Kang
HDRfinal.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition, Exposure, panoramic stitching and HDR

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Better understanding of panoramic stitching and HDR

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
I took this photo during my (reservist, RnR) in Rockhampton town. This photo was taken before the rain with a total of 5 images and I stitch with photoshop. Thereafter, I adjust 3 different exposure and combine in photoshop HDR. Some burning and dodging before saving the photo.

Thank you folks, do comments!;p

HDRfinal.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition, Exposure, panoramic stitching and HDR

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Better understanding of panoramic stitching and HDR

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
I took this photo during my (reservist, RnR) in Rockhampton town. This photo was taken before the rain with a total of 5 images and I stitch with photoshop. Thereafter, I adjust 3 different exposure and combine in photoshop HDR. Some burning and dodging before saving the photo.

Thank you folks, do comments!;p

er... weird sky...... and i guess... yea. weird sky

Dear Noi Noi. the image is very monochromatic. That is nice. No, the sky is not weird. It just has blotchy blowouts.
However, it does lack a little drama.

The following was shot at Lake Toba, stitched with 5 shots (30% overlapping)

155489_122757711120734_100001595176964_164816_6331263_n.jpg

(The image is a little small coz it's uploaded via facebook)

Hope this inspires.

Cheers

Hi bros, The picture is sharp. It is an old buiding seldom visited. There are no people around. The weather looks dark like going to rain. The time looks like early morning 6.00am. The image has foreground (dark floor), middle ground (building) and background (sky) with depth of field on either side. Overall, it is good.

Hi bros, The picture is sharp. It is an old buiding seldom visited. There are no people around. The weather looks dark like going to rain. The time looks like early morning 6.00am. The image has foreground (dark floor), middle ground (building) and background (sky) with depth of field on either side. Overall, it is good.

huh. if weather is going to rain, it shldnt have blown out skies. the difference in brightness between sky and building shld be minimal
to me, one thing abt landscape is to ensure minimal details lost as possible. are u shooting against the sun?:think: hence blow out. or over editing

and i'm not sure, but i see weird artifacts in the sky. like weird white polkadots in a mess of gray. look top left to get what i mean...

Last edited:
Dear Noi Noi. the image is very monochromatic. That is nice. No, the sky is not weird. It just has blotchy blowouts.
However, it does lack a little drama.

The following was shot at Lake Toba, stitched with 5 shots (30% overlapping)

Hope this inspires.

Cheers

Thanks and wow, your photo really inspires me and i hope i can learn from you more!:D

Thanks Henry. Ya, Its a old building and Sunday street is really a ghost town. In fact, the shoot was capture around 8am and due to the rain, the whole area was dark and flat lighting.

huh. if weather is going to rain, it shldnt have blown out skies. the difference in brightness between sky and building shld be minimal
to me, one thing abt landscape is to ensure minimal details lost as possible. are u shooting against the sun?:think: hence blow out. or over editing

and i'm not sure, but i see weird artifacts in the sky. like weird white polkadots in a mess of gray. look top left to get what i mean...

Hi Allenleonhart, maybe Its my fault to blown off the sky, will keep that in mind for my future shoot. Thanks, Bro.

Dear Noi Noi.... No problems. Here's another shot of Lake Toba, on another day, probably 15-20km away

Again, a 5 pix-stitch, with 30% overlap

75652_119476201448885_100001595176964_146016_3787035_n.jpg

Now go out, SHOOT, and post some more.

Cheers Bro

Okay, will start shooting more and post again should I have something good enough.;)

I feel it's not very straight and that kind of irks me somehow. I think it's got to do with the roads, but it just doesn't feel straight.

I feel it's not very straight and that kind of irks me somehow. I think it's got to do with the roads, but it just doesn't feel straight.

Maybe my angle is not right and noted with thanks.

Your horizon is a little tilted to the left, you can tell by taking the lamp post on the center of the frame as reference. The HDR is not very obvious here, notice the details in the area under the building is lost. A good reference when making exposures for HDR would be to meter the shady areas, the brightest areas then adjust for several exposures within the range. This will ensure that you'll get a balance of all the details you require on your final HDR composite. :)

Thanks for the kind details explanation. Really good info for my future shoot.:)

This photo does not look like it has been HDR-ed. It also looks like you did some selective desaturation as well? Neither the HDR not the selective desat works.

HDR: It's often employed to capture the entire dynamic range of a scene. Here, it looks like it could have well been a single exposure.

Selective desat: I didn't see the point in doing so. It makes the photo look very messy and does not enhance the photo in any way.

hi Roy,

I think this photo no need HDR, I don't see the need of HDR.
I guess you did +- 1 stops exposure for HDR, maybe you can try +-2 stops.. Can create more dynamic range.

I suppose you shoot RAw, if yes you can try HDR before the stitching.

This photo does not look like it has been HDR-ed. It also looks like you did some selective desaturation as well? Neither the HDR not the selective desat works.

HDR: It's often employed to capture the entire dynamic range of a scene. Here, it looks like it could have well been a single exposure.

Selective desat: I didn't see the point in doing so. It makes the photo look very messy and does not enhance the photo in any way.

Thanks for the tips!

hi Roy,

I think this photo no need HDR, I don't see the need of HDR.
I guess you did +- 1 stops exposure for HDR, maybe you can try +-2 stops.. Can create more dynamic range.

I suppose you shoot RAw, if yes you can try HDR before the stitching.

Hi Danny,
Shall try using more stops for the next shoot! Thanks Sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.