Panorama tips please (broke posting guideline...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor

Jan 26, 2002
Visit site
Pardon me but just this once......

This is my most daring panoramic attempt. Anyway I'm not very experienced at this also.

Just a background, this photo is taken in Rome, Piazza San Pietro (Saint Peter's Square). It's a circular compound.

What I did was stand in a "sweet spot" and snapped as I turn around.

The result wasn't too good. The seams are not well done, parts of the building didn't blend too well (colour, etc.). And it was warped pretty badly.

In order to have the entire "building" in the picture, I have to include the void areas of white. Ended up having to remodel the photo myself......

Noticed that the lower 20% to the left and right looked a bit superficial, and the centre 60% of the top sky as well? I well...... "created" that bit of the photo.

Anyway, any panoramic experts here can give me some guidelines to taking one of this scale and design? Thanks!

Day%2006%20-%20Italy%20-%20Rome%20-%20Piazza%20San%20Pietro%20-%20Panorama.jpg

why not post this in Technical discussion or General photography chat instead? i don't think the moderators will be happy if you post it here when there are other sub-forum for you.

anyway, did u use a tripod to take the shot? i tried 360 degree panorama shot too, then i use a software call Panorama Factory to stitch it...

it will take care of all the stitching the resize/crop/colour balance and help u the make the horizon straight

just dump all the pic and the software will take care of the rest...

the result is quite good IMO

here is my first panorama attempt

long.jpg

Use a tripod... hee hee...

Ok be serious... Me never treid paranomas before but these are what I read in some books

Use a tripod to avoid having areas of white... which is likely due to framing the picture incorrectly when framing. Use a tripod and just rotate horizontally... Check that you are getting the whole subject when turning round when setting up the tripod. And to get good seams, try to take the frames with around 30% over laps between frames... in other words, the next photo will have 30% that was already in the previous photo.

To allow the frames to blend into each other properly, remember to lock the exposure, use a fixed set of aperture and shutter speed values (ISO as well if its a digital camera) for all the frames... So remember to meter at an area of the subject that has lighting that is average of the whole subject.

Next wrapping... this occurs when the axis of the rotation is not centered on the center of the lens... since in your discription, you are turning... the axis of the roatation is off the center of the lens, the roatation will be off to a side and this causes "wrapping" Use a tripod to elimate this. And if your camera's tripod mount is not in line with the lens, I believe there are some adaptor that will allow you to mount the camera "off to one side" so that the tripod is inline with the lens. And make sure the axis of rotation is in the center of the lens when setting up the tripod.

Hee Hee that's all I can remember now.

I have move this to the Technical Discussions Forums.

Enjoy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.