Panorama Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrericlee

Sep 27, 2008
Singapore
I have a ballhead tripod. How to do a Panorama shot correctly?

Problem is everytime I release the thing to PAN, my whole camera move in all axis!

Your ballhead is probably the one-knob kind. You need the 2 knob kind - 1 to release the ball, 1 to pan.

If you're not very critical, what I usually do is to just handhold and twist my body to take pictures, without moving my feet. Make sure that there's plenty of overlap and make sure you're using the same exposure for it. That's where M mode comes in handy. I use a free, pretty simple software called The Panorama Factory by Smoky City Design. Mine is v2.4 but there probably are newer versions of it online now. Otherwise, I think Photoshop can also do stitching.

K, probably way too much info there. You just asking about the ballhead right? =P

Yeah, just wanna confirm that the stupid ballhead canot make it. Damn....

Yes, I am aware to make sure exposure is same using M Mode. Will try it out at the Grand Canyon.

So I know we need to overlap left vs right.... not if there is some up and down movement also, we just snip it off at the end for a straight line right?

Haha! Not cannot make it la. It will have its uses. Anyway, most of my panorama shots are taken handheld rather than using my tripod, even though my ballhead has a panning knob. Because u need to ensure that the ballhead is confirm very horizontal, then the panning will be useful. Otherwise, I can stand on slanted ground and still take panoramas handheld.

And you're right about the vertical movement. I try to use a continuous line as a guide lor... plus, there are gridlines in my viewfinder to help with that.

Which is a good software to do panoramas? Can the different pics be seen after stitching?

Which is a good software to do panoramas? Can the different pics be seen after stitching?

www.ptgui.com
http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Using a normal pan head will not allow you to take a full 360 panorama properly, at least for the stitching. You will encounter a lot of parallax errors.

See http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/pano/tech/hardware/why-a-panoramic-tripod-head/

With parallax errors, there is no way you can stitch a proper 360 pano without some overlapping errors and the pano will appear improper however, a pan head will allow depending on scene and what stitching application you use to stitch to stitch at least a row of images to form a flat pano.

Status
Not open for further replies.