Pano shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi guys

Need some advice on taking pano shot. How do u guys ensure that shot is not tilted? Recently I tried taking a few shots using tripod but turned out to be titled. Seems like the ground I am standing when I was taking the shot was uneven. ;p How to tell if the ground is even or not? :D If uneven, what shld I do?

Btw for those using Pano factory. Why are there curvy lines on top and bottom of the final stitched shot? I know they can be removed by cropping but wouldn't I will be losing resolution.

Newbie here.

Falcon said:
Need some advice on taking pano shot. How do u guys ensure that shot is not tilted? Recently I tried taking a few shots using tripod but turned out to be titled. Seems like the ground I am standing when I was taking the shot was uneven. ;p How to tell if the ground is even or not? :D If uneven, what shld I do?
You can use a tripod with a spirit level. Personally, I use Panorama Tools. I believe it is the only panorama stitching software that can correct for tilt and pitch. Now I don't even bother using a tripod for day panoramas. It produces the best quality panorama around and it's free. The disadvantage is that it is time consuming to use as you have to manually set all the control points. If you don't believe me, check out Max Lyons Digital Image Gallery which are done with Panorama Tools.

Btw for those using Pano factory. Why are there curvy lines on top and bottom of the final stitched shot? I know they can be removed by cropping but wouldn't I will be losing resolution.
You will always have some blank areas after stitching as the stitching software first corrects for barrel distortion and pincushioning before converting your stitched panorama to either rectilinear, cylindrical or spherical projections.

Tks a lot, linse!! :)

if your camera has grid lines in the view finder, use them... it also helps to have a ball head on the tripod. much easier correction for unstraight horisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.