Panny's colours not 'canon'-like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunslinger

Dec 13, 2004
Hi gang,

I took out my Panny FZ-20 for a ride of her life by pushing her a bit more than I normally would for my best friend's wedding proposal to his girlfriend. I noticed that the colours were not (and never will be?) as good as canon's.
The settings that I was using was something like this:

Sharpness = Std
Contrast = Std
Saturation = High
Noise Red. = Std

It seems that even with saturation at high, the colours was not rich and with the sharpness at Std. some places was not as sharp as I would have hoped.

I wonder if any of you guys are experiencing this as well or is there any good advice on this aspect? I've been shooting past the 1500 mark now but still not able to get a good all-rounder setting on this.

Does any of you CS brothers/sisters have a canon and a panny that you can test it out with? Coz I'm really interested in tuning it right. ;p

Sorry but as it's his marriage proposal I agreed not to post any on the web. So hope you guys would forgive me on this.

sunslinger said:
Hi gang,

I took out my Panny FZ-20 for a ride of her life by pushing her a bit more than I normally would for my best friend's wedding proposal to his girlfriend. I noticed that the colours were not (and never will be?) as good as canon's.

Sharpness = Std
Contrast = Std
Saturation = High
Noise Red. = Std

It seems that even with saturation at high, the colours was not rich and with the sharpness at Std. some places was not as sharp as I would have hoped.

I wonder if any of you guys are experiencing this as well or is there any good advice on this aspect? I've been shooting past the 1500 mark now but still not able to get a good all-rounder setting on this.

Does any of you CS brothers/sisters have a canon and a panny that you can test it out with? Coz I'm really interested in tuning it right. ;p

Sorry but as it's his marriage proposal I agreed not to post any on the web. So hope you guys would forgive me on this.

Disclaimer: The following are my own opinions,
Personally, I set standard on the controls, and only play with the white balance when shooting under different lighting situations.

If you have done a comparison with panasonic and canon, and love the output from canon without processing, then by all means use a Canon.
Every camera output is different, in terms of color, brightnes, saturation, due to the picture algorithms used in the camera processor, so why tune a panasonic to give you canon results?

Dear sunslinger,

Although I am not a digital user, I noticed that almost all digital pictures need to be post processed in order to bring out the extreme visual power of itself, something that most entry level DSLR cannot even do, not to talk about Prosumer or lower class.

I am seriously wondering why you would want a high saturation picture that might spoiled the face natural tonality.

Just to share with you after I attend a simple talk by 2 photographers, you must know what you want to achieve before you start working on your pictures. I am pretty sure a straight out of camera jpeg will still need post processing.

I shoot slides so the saturation of the slides already pre process for me.

Hi Ricky,

No offence bro, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done a comparison between a panny and a canon with the objective of comparing the overall exposure? Other than that, I gotta love my Panny! :)

Hi theITguy,

Thanks for the tip! I read about DSLRs needing heavy(?) post-processing to make it look stunning so yeah I do perform some kind of PP afterwards. But was just thinking of an easier way on those days when you're just lazy to PP. I bought the Panny coz I was hooked by the 12x optical + OIS + Price + great looking body! ;p

The only problem is that my wife keeps harping that those point and shoot cameras like canon and nikon usually look more 'livelier' and 'colourful' compared to those of mine without 'going through the computer'. Thus, leading me to tune the panny to see what it could do.... and wondering if anyone else has this problem??

It's like you know about white balance, exposure, focal length and the importance of an external flash but when the wifey comes and ask "How come cannot like that one ah?", then I really get stumped. :p

It kinda reminds you of the joke whereby the IT helpdesk receives a call from a customer asking "Is this the Internet?".

Sorry guys, just rambling.... hehe.

Hmmmm...not rich color?

P1050884-resized.jpg

MelakaNightScene05.jpg

MelakaNightScene02.jpg

These are taken using FZ10... ;)

JimDavis said:
Hmmmm...not rich color?

P1050884-resized.jpg

MelakaNightScene05.jpg

MelakaNightScene02.jpg

These are taken using FZ10... ;)

Oh boy! Each time I see these beautiful shots I can't help admiring it! :thumbsup:

Sunslinger, for a start trust the camera P mode and see what it can do for you! Sometime it's our manual setting that goes haywire!

Hi Sunslinger,

Just an observation from my point. I realised that the pana cams are the "what-you-see-is-what-you-get" cameras. The highly saturated colours and brightness are usually done by the camera. (As mentioned by rhair)

The problem comes when you expect the pana cam to process the picture like a canon.

I bring home what I see THEN PS the pic later... If you don't want to, you can be quite sure that "what-you-saw-was-what-you-got"...

Cheers! ;)

sunslinger said:
Hi gang,

Sharpness = Std
Contrast = Std
Saturation = High
Noise Red. = Std

Saturation HIGH is not recommended in general....but again it depends what you wanted to do.

Sharpness....may be focusing issue, do be aware that at low light situation, the FZ20 do have focusing difficulty. Another thing to check is depth of field, what's the f-stop for those photos ? Are you using AUTO, S-Priority ???

As you indicated you can't post any photo, why don't you take some general photo with the current settings and post it, and if you do have a reference of the type of saturation you are looking for, do post the reference photo as well. It will give us an idea what you are trying to achive.

13770lantern.jpg

No post-processing done. A quick snap shot taken last year when I first got the camera. I think the colors are rather vivid if you play around with the wb settings.

to jimdavis: haha...havent upload the other pictures I took that day...some were not as good as it looked on the lcd. :eek:

sunslinger said:
Hi Ricky,

No offence bro, just wanted to see if anyone has ever done a comparison between a panny and a canon with the objective of comparing the overall exposure? Other than that, I gotta love my Panny! :)

Hi theITguy,

Thanks for the tip! I read about DSLRs needing heavy(?) post-processing to make it look stunning so yeah I do perform some kind of PP afterwards. But was just thinking of an easier way on those days when you're just lazy to PP. I bought the Panny coz I was hooked by the 12x optical + OIS + Price + great looking body! ;p

The only problem is that my wife keeps harping that those point and shoot cameras like canon and nikon usually look more 'livelier' and 'colourful' compared to those of mine without 'going through the computer'. Thus, leading me to tune the panny to see what it could do.... and wondering if anyone else has this problem??

It's like you know about white balance, exposure, focal length and the importance of an external flash but when the wifey comes and ask "How come cannot like that one ah?", then I really get stumped. :p

It kinda reminds you of the joke whereby the IT helpdesk receives a call from a customer asking "Is this the Internet?".

can u provide a sample from Canan and Pana so that we can see what u mean?

sunslinger said:
Hi Ricky,

Hi theITguy,

can u provide a sample from Canan and Pana so that we can see what u mean?

sunslinger said:
Hi Ricky,

Hi theITguy,

Sorry to burst the bubble. But if you need vivid colour straight out of the camera, you can only shoot slides to get it. Canon and Nikon's colours are none other than Disney Plastic smooth. Even if the colours are right you will need some form of post processing, like sharpening.

Canon's colour are always being un-real(unfortunately people thought its better), abit different from what your eye sees and what is being captured. Anyway, calibrate your monitor.

Thanks so much for your comments guys!

Sorry for the late response... i'm in the midst of preparing for my wedding dinner... finishing the video montage and getting the guest list in order. :)

I would really like to post a comparison shot between canon and pana but I would need to borrow my friend's cam again. I think at the moment, i'll have to postpone this experiment of mine since I need to focus on my banquet dinner. I'll post the difference once I finish my wedding preparations sometime in mid-april or so.

My focus of this thread was just to get a general feel whether other users think the same about canon/nikon and pana? Make no mistakes.. i Love my panny though! ;)

I just got my cousin's wedding dinner pictures from E1 Olympus and daytime wedding from Canon (EOS 10D?). I also seen Fujifilm S3 Pro output (All prints) as well, like those from E1 and S3 Pro but the Canon 10D plain lousy (colour not as real/lively).

Status
Not open for further replies.