panning

Status
Not open for further replies.

htthach

Feb 26, 2006
dover
hi,
i saw some panning picture, quite interesting
did a little read up and they say the technique is just turn the camera to follow the object at slow shutter.
is that it?
then how can we sure we are moving at the same speed? how to sure that the object will be sharp (instead of everything blur)
is it a lot of try and fail?
do we need fast focus lens (e.g USM) to do panning?
what focal length is good enuf?

can i try it on my canon 28-105 usm?

interested in taking panning shots too! but have absolutely no idea on how to. some pointers?

Ok, basically use a slow shutter depending on how fast the subject is moving, roughly lets say for cars and stuff 1/60 ish, Then just move your camera at the same speed as the car (u will know your at the same speed cos 2 slow and the car is out of your viewfinder and too fast it will also move out of the viewfinder) so just keep the object in the viewfinder as you follow it, then as it get closer or even as it passes you take the photo but keep folowing it even after the photo is taken to make sure you follow through and dont stop before the shutter has closed.

This is basically how its down, use continous AF for better results(well for me anyway)

A fast lens will help to lock onto the moving subject , slower ones will do it to, but tehy tend to "hunt"

Focal length 28-105 is fine, but something wider may be better depending on how close the subject is, i tend to use 50mm on roads and stuff

And yes, there is alot of try and fail

Go Out and Practice!

here a little from me

dsc34869zj.jpg

basically just use a shutter speed that is quite slow <1/60 for me. another impt factor is the speed of ur target, for car 1/40-1/60 might be good enuff. for jogger or slower one 1/20-1/40 would be good (atleast for me)

thanks thanks! guess it take lots of practise to take nice panning shots... cant wait to try it out myself! hai.... but must wait till exam is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.