panning shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

monyol

Aug 29, 2005
Hi there..:)
Can anyone please explain to me...for panning shot.
Is it best to set the camera at AI servo with continuous shot or only single shot?:think:
subject moving @300km/h.thanks

:cry: Anyone out there?

monyol said:
Hi there..:)
Can anyone please explain to me...for panning shot.
Is it best to set the camera at AI servo with continuous shot or only single shot?:think:
subject moving @300km/h.thanks

AI Servo and multi shots. Either centre AF or multi AF - multi makes it easier to achieve focus though..... esp if subject does not fill up the entire frame.
;)

subject moving at 300km/h in the sky will seem to move slower than 300km/h right in front of you...it depends...

On my 350D, I tried AI servo, centre pt AF, cont shots, Tv at 1/60 to 1/100. There are lot of rejects in panning shots, but its the few sharply focused shots that makes the shoot a success. You may need a telezoom to frame the object.
Are you shooting speeding cars at 300kmh?

try panning a few cars on the road. i tried and its so difficult to achieve what i want.

MLSK said:
On my 350D, I tried AI servo, centre pt AF, cont shots, Tv at 1/60 to 1/100. There are lot of rejects in panning shots, but its the few sharply focused shots that makes the shoot a success. You may need a telezoom to frame the object.
Are you shooting speeding cars at 300kmh?

I'm shooting bikes at a race circuit actually....and using 70-200mm telezoom lens.
And btw which metering mode did you use?:think:

Only tried it out once while I was waiting for a bus:

20050704234704_0068.jpg

IMG_1004_copy2.jpg

Here is my try, taken today.
Monyol, taken using AI servo focusing. Using 75 - 300 zoom lens @ 75 mm setting.

Hhhmmmm. For panning, there are 2 ways to focus.

1. AI Servo AF.
2. Pre-focus (using One-Shot AF) on the location where the subject will pass.

May we have a show of 'hands' on which method that we use?

I can't choose focusing modes on my 300D, for that above shot I prefocused at a certain point.

JediForce4ever,

Yeah. I could not control the shutter speed as with a DSLR. With the IXUS 50, one can control the shutter speed for periods ranging from 1 sec. to 15 secs. (in the steps of 1, 1.3, 1.6, 2, 2.5, 3.2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15 secs.)

A 1 sec. shutter speed will be too long. So, I took that shot in Auto mode but deactivated the AiAF in order to use the center focusing point only. Since there is no servo AF, I used the pre-focus method.

Status
Not open for further replies.