Panning really difficult....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Finally took the courage to stand by a road side to try some panning shots :D

Tried taking about 20+ shots and I've tried to remember what the steps are to take but man....it's really difficult.....

Below are the only 3 that came out decent but not as good as Tweek last time post one....

c3cd452990f5ea848acd63c9b6f935b6-P5310020.JPG

736782ce541d3dc69295ca7884341823-P5310021.JPG

267ebcfd6decb385158d1817326df8c0-P5310022.JPG

Last one looks very underexposed.....

Any ideas for improvements? What shuttle speed should I actually try to use? All this were taken at 1/8 :(

Your shutter speed is a bit too low (altho there isn't a absolutely correct shutter speed to use - it does depend on the speed of the subject).

In your examples, a shutter speed of 1/30s, 1/45s or 1/60s would give better results.

At 1/8s, I suspect that there is some combination of the below effects:-
1. the subject moving a little faster/slower than your pan as evidenced by the slightly blurred front/back.
2. some camera shake

Agree with Darren. How slow you can go depends on your practice and experience really, as well as the speed of the subject. For a first go, 1/8 is certainly too slow.

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
would it be more feasible if pan using a tripod?

Its more difficult to pan with a tripod - you want to have a free range of movement, and using a tripod will slow you down.

However, having said that, its not impossible, and you may even have more success - if you work and practice with using a tripod for panning.

Sorry I make a mistake there, the shutter speed is 1/13 but I think it's still too slow....

Thanks for the comments Darren and Jed... I will try the 1/30s, 1/45s or 1/60s next time.....

I got 2 questions though.

Firstly, is it easier to take using the LCD or viewfinder?

Secondly, should I pre-focus first? All of this I have attempt to focus on a passing car first or on the road. Tried manual focus but sort of lost control (I still not too familar with my cam's manual focus)....

Thanks!

Use the LCD or viewfinder, whichever you prefer. If you're shooting a subject on a level with you, then actually a tripod does improve matters if you have a good head with a smooth pan base. It allows you to go slower because you won't have any up/down movement. But by no means is it necessary, nor will you definitely get better results... it depends on your tripod technique as well as your handholding technique.

Originally posted by Blitz

is it easier to take using the LCD or viewfinder?

Personally, I find it easier to pan with the viewfinder.

Generally I use
1/15 for Trishaw/Bicycle
1/30 for Vehicles picking up speed from traffic light (good place to catch them btw)
1/60 for fast moving vehicles >60kph

I always pre-focus.. cos I don't have a D-SLR yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.