Panning, how is it been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffanydunk

Sep 20, 2008
North
Hi guys, i tried to take photos of in "panning" mode but could not achieve the object clear, background blur effect.I always achieve object and background clear. :sweat: Can anyone explain how can it be done? Am using Panasonic FZ series.

You need a slow shutter speed. Are you using that?

Without knowing what settings you were using, it's not quite possible to tell what you might have done wrong, or what you might have set wrongly.

you would probably need a good support too, either you have very stable hands or a monopod will help a lot, depending on the speed of your object too.

You need a slow shutter speed. Are you using that?

Yeah, if your subject and background is clear, this is the problem.

Next, you'll probably have both subject and background blur :) This could be due to shutter speed too slow, incorrect tracking of subject, subject moving closer / farther away during panning and so on.

Panning involves planning, practice and a fair amount of luck.

Next, you'll probably have both subject and background blur :) This could be due to shutter speed too slow, incorrect tracking of subject, subject moving closer / farther away during panning and so on.

u mean i must move along with the object? I've read up on quite a few articles and they recommend 1/60 for the shutter speed. I might try on that.

Thanks for the input ppl, i will go back and try on the settings and let u guys noe.

yah..sumting below 1/100 can get good effect but depends on the vehicle's speed. basically, u need to track the vehicle throughout its movement, and snap while doing so... practice makes perfect.... this is really true in terms of panning....

alrite guys.. i juz tried again doing panning.. cant seems to get it right. I can't set anything when in panning mode. Shutter, aperture etc. :dunno:

alrite guys.. i juz tried again doing panning.. cant seems to get it right. I can't set anything when in panning mode. Shutter, aperture etc. :dunno:

Well, you ain't supposed to change those things once you start to pan. Set them before you begin tracking ;)

alrite.. i will start off with day panning first as practice.. guess i need to keep practicing. Thanks guys for the help!

anyway, *off topic.. pls give some feedbacks on the pics i've taken.. wanted to post in critique section but alot of confusing rules..
sunset1.jpg

F/4, 1/1000,ISO-80

eagle1.jpg

F/3.6, 1/320,ISO-80

Last edited:

I think threadstarter is trying to say he wants to get a pan of foreground sharp but blur background. It's actually how he set his aperture. Of course, support must be good for panning as well.

Get out of panning mode on your camera, and switch to shutter priority mode.

I think threadstarter is trying to say he wants to get a pan of foreground sharp but blur background. It's actually how he set his aperture. Of course, support must be good for panning as well.

Sorry, I realize there might be some confusion with this whole topic. When I say panning, I mean moving the camera so that a moving subject stays in the same position in the frame throughout the duration the shutter is open, in order to render a (relatively) sharp subject and the background streaking past.

A larger aperture helps, but the main criteria for panning is shutter speed. What checkers seem to be referring to is subject isolation, not the same as panning.

I tried google for an example. Found one, with a short write-up on technique as well.

http://www.photocritique.us/2006/11/16/camera-technique-panning/

To TS : I'm not sure what you mean by panning mode - can you elaborate?

I think you might get more response if you start a new thread (or two) in landscape and nature regarding the photos. But I'll give it a shot. The first is a nice sunset, but might benefit from a boost in saturation and brightness. The foreground looks a little cluttered - I like the silhouette on water, but there's a lot in there, and they merge with each other to the extent that I can't quite make them out. On the upper left corner, the roof (?) is distracting. See if you can crop or clone it out.

As for the bird (some kind of raptor?) it takes up way too little of that frame. Most of the time it is also better to have more space in front of a subject that is moving than behind it. When shooting flying birds, you may want to experiment with burst mode as well to see if you can get one with the wings in a nicer position.

I can't comment on white balance (and you probably should take my suggestion on exposure with a grain of salt) because I'm using an uncalibrated monitor at work.

here really can get very useful help and feedbacks. Thanks for helping a newbie like me. ;) will read up those links u guys posted. Once again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.