panballhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
after like, quite a few experiences here and there and my fair share of using both ballheads and pan-tilt heads, i think i'll be happier with a panballhead.

it isn't that i dislike pan-tilt heads. i love them immensely, it's just that they can be a bit restrictive when it comes to composing portrait format shots and i always want to kill myself when i'm doing it. either i am missing out on how to do it easily, or it is because the giottos mh5001 that i am using (as wonderful as it is) doesn't seem to allow me to go beyond 90 degrees. so instead of just adjusting the head, i have to adjust the legs. i think the last pan tilt head on the slik sprint 3-way that i got to use actually allowed for beyond-90-degree adjustments, which made it a lot less painful.

so i'm looking at panballheads like series II from giottos as well:

1025890.jpg

the problem with picking up panos is that you want to have the ability to do panoramic photography quickly and easily. this seems like a viable option - the flexibility of a ballhead, along with the ability to do panos quickly - no, i don't need a nodal ninja or anything like that.

as for making sure that the head is level, it's easy, my giottos legs have a spirit level as well, thank goodness, i just checked.

anyone have any good suggestions for such? i remember daredevil123 saying that giottos is not readily available in singapore. come to think of it, this seems to be true. if this is inaccurate, please enlighten me, else i might consider buying series II from the uk.

no, i do not need something like markins, gitzo, etc. something below $200 please.

thanks in advance for your kind suggestions and time.

sorry bro i can't contribute to this post cos i do not use tripod.

but i would like to learn and hear what others have to say.

thanks. i have actually looked at manfrotto 488 series, the main issue for me is really that that ballhead has no spirit level.

the giottos mh1301-652 has spirit level, and goes for $120 thereabouts with the weak pound right now. that's almost 1/3 less than the 488 series (listed as $180-$200 in price guides), and from my own experience with giottos products, they are solid. comparable with the manfrottos i have tried before, at a lower price. now if only singapore would bring that brand in. i'm sure a lot of people would be happy.

i think if i buy, i will get the giottos one.. ;)

Last edited:
what about in terms of weight and load?

Nm, I think cp do carry giottos ballhead.:)

will be around there tmr, will check for you.

Last edited:
Nm, I think cp do carry giottos ballhead.:)

will be around there tmr, will check for you.

thanks leong, can help me check specifically the price of series II, any will do, as long as got QR plate. a bit hard for me to call... :sweat:

yoz bro!

u may want to consider Sirui? Not sure if it can fulfill what u want... their G20 is not bad. I am using their G10 (smaller version) and they got a builtin spirit level.

SR-G20.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

G20 (google for this photo)

Last edited:
yoz bro!

u may want to consider Sirui? Not sure if it can fulfill what u want... their G20 is not bad. I am using their G10 (smaller version) and they got a builtin spirit level.

SR-G20.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

that sounds good. the price seems pretty good too, within budget.

the spirit level is BELOW the QR plate? :sweat::sweat:

yoz bro!

SR-G20.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

One thing i never understood. Why is the spirit level being hidden behind the plate? The moment you mount your lens and camera, and if the lens is heavy, there could be some ballhead creep or flex in the tripod legs. The user would not be able to verify if the camera is level or aligned correctly or not unless he/she removes the mounting plate. Or is there some proper reason for such a design? Anyone care to enlighten me?

One thing i never understood. Why is the spirit level being hidden behind the plate? The moment you mount your lens and camera, and if the lens is heavy, there could be some ballhead creep or flex in the tripod legs. The user would not be able to verify if the camera is level or aligned correctly or not unless he/she removes the mounting plate. Or is there some proper reason for such a design? Anyone care to enlighten me?

cos i think they want to keep the ball head as compact as possible...

10s58v7.jpg

(pardon my messy bed, anyhow take this photo to show how it looks like with my cat sleeping near me lol!)

if u want to see the spirit level, u just push out the plate a little and tighten the knob. And when u dun need to use the spirit level, just push all the way in till it fits then tighten the knob. Quite interesting design though haha.

I use a Manfrotto Gear Head 410. ($210)

Balls are too unreliable for my liking for long exposures and precise adjustment. Balls trap dirt and Jam locking Mechanisms... I don't get true 90 degrees unless I buy those expansive ones.

Cheap balls cannot support my cam and lens. They have small base plates that loosen and cause your cameras with heavy lens to dip/ sag and this is maddening.

Balls with balls!

Get a proper Gear for your Tripod. :-}

Last edited:
haha yah... i also :sweat: initially but u can actually push the plate slightly out a bit to show the spirit level. :p

ohhhhhhhhh yeah, it's a sliding plate right.

k, that isn't too bad then.

I use a Manfrotto Gear Head 410. ($210)

Balls are too unreliable for my liking for long exposures and precise adjustment. Balls trap dirt and Jam locking Mechanisms... I don't get true 90 degrees unless I buy those expansive ones.

Cheap balls cannot support my cam and lens. They have small base plates that loosen and cause your cameras with heavy lens to dip/ sag and this is maddening.

Balls with balls!

Get a proper Gear for your Tripod. :-}
hrm, i don't know, my heaviest combination is sigma 10-20 + k20d.

so i'm really not that concerned with functions. i know what you mean about bad base plates (e.g. benro uncorrected). creep is not a problem for me.

gearheads are way too scary for me. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.